The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2015 5:43 pm  #1

(Finally) Got to run a Mythic adventure

This turned out pretty long, sorry about that.

So there was a break in my regular D&D 2e game that I'm a player in, and I got the chance to run a BoL Mythic adventure (on extremely short notice). We spent the better part of an hour building up 3 characters for my players. Being D&D players their characters were a little lackluster in the background department, but as I said, short notice, so it wasn't a huge deal. We had a Stygian assassin, Cimmerian gladiator/thief, and an Iranistani pirate/thief. 

I ran some of the premade scenarios in the back of the Mythic book. One of them was similar to an adventure idea I had a while back, so I used that one. We began "Kaldor the Gladiator" since we had a gladiator, and his name was Kaldor  They figured out how to lift the arena prison gate immediately, and Kaldor tried to persuade the other prisoners to keep it down before the guards noticed, since they were clamoring for their own freedom. He rolled a persuasion check, and his miniscule -1 appeal plus his 0 Merchant were not enough to convince them. So they got louder, and he punched one of them through the bars. Being rabble, this basically killed the poor guy. That at least shut the prisoners up.

Kaldor used a hero point to find a sword on the lone table in the room, before the pirate "The Buzzard" picked the door lock by using his own hero point to pull out a lockpick he'd hidden in his hair. They discovered guards in the hallway and retreated to formulate their plan. They released and then convinced the other prisoners to go right to draw all the guards that way, then the party would come in behind and slaughter them. The prisoners reluctantly agreed, still fearing Kaldor's fists.

The party let the prisoners go out and draw the guards, then promptly went left instead of right, leaving the prisoners to their fate, which 5-on-12 meant execution. They all had stealthy careers so were able to sneak down the hall into the guard-room, where they surprised and wiped out 6 rabble in short order. They re-armed, and decided to go back into the hallway, where they dispatched the remaining guards, but not in time to save any prisoners.

The assassin donned a guard uniform since he had the boon "Master of Disguise", and scouted the next few corridors and rooms, leading the last few guards into ambushes by Kaldor and The Buzzard. They found the arena's accountant, tied him up and interrogated him before burning the records of their arrests and debts. They killed the accountant and stole his money along with some records of debt-holders who were to be brought in to the arena, to sell the information to a third party later. They narrowly avoided fighting a sabertooth tiger, with a mighty success on Kaldor's reaction roll when he opened a door as the tiger was being transported to the arena floor.

They eventually escaped through the animal holding area and into the sewers. This is where the adventure (the premade part) ends, so I had them come up in the city and use their thief and assassin careers to find the local thieves' guild. Once more, Kaldor's awful appeal came into effect, but he used a hero point to convince the barkeep that was actually a thieves' guild officer to show them to the guildhall.

This is where I began their transition into "The Buzzard and the Island of Doom", where they were to sail across the Vilayet Sea to deliver a large stockpile of "highly discounted" wares to a fence in the east who could get premium prices for them. On the way, they were attacked by a sea monster, and this is where I allowed The Buzzard to use a hero point to say a giant shark appeared and began to attack the sea monster before the ship was totally destroyed. 

They ended up on the island of Doom, where they followed a small contingent of pirates inland to search for a certain species of tree that would yield the right kind of sap, and some good, strong wood to patch up the ship so they could leave. However, they got attacked by pygmy cannibals, slaughtering all the rabble pirates, but the PCs managed to survive and succeed. They decided to return to the ship, but found it eerily empty aside from blood smears and stains all over, and the first mate holed up in the captain's cabin. They decided to gather supplies and head inland to attempt to find their crew, for without their crew, they cannot set sail to escape the island.

This is where we had to end it for the night. Overall, I had a lot of fun running my first real game of BoL Mythic. The players also told me they had a blast, and in fact we are going to finish up BoL this weekend instead of getting back to D&D as scheduled . I plan to challenge them a bit more this time, since so far they've only fought rabble and avoided the few toughs I had placed through good roleplaying and a little luck. I'm thinking of having them face off against the pygmy tribal shaman/chief, along with a large horde of rabble before they head down to fight the worm at the end of the Island of Doom scenario.

I had a few observations about the characters my players made.

Kaldor bought up his melee and strength, while dumping appeal. I was actually a little amused he ended  up trying to convince people of things on several occasions and failing miserably because of his awful appeal score combined with his 0 ranks of Merchant. I'm guessing the first thing he'll do is buy up his appeal.

The Buzzard unfortunately was a well-rounded character, meaining his player just put 1 into all his stats and combat stats. This led to a pretty lackluster performance when it came to dice rolling, which is why I let his hero-point-shark-attack happen. He wanted to remake his guy, but I told him to trust me on the ap to be given out next time we play.

Chigaru, the assassin, picked hunter, and was decently well rounded but slightly skewed into combat/strength. This seemed to work out pretty well for him and the party, as his tracking skills were essential in a few instances.

I'm a little glad nobody picked sorcerer or alchemist this time, because the players all have basic characters to get familiar with the game. Overall though, the players really seemed to love it. I look forward to running another session for them. I'm not a very experienced GM in any game, but BoL kind of makes that easy to do.

3/12/2015 10:31 am  #2

Re: (Finally) Got to run a Mythic adventure

BoL is a fantastic game to run for a first time or inexperienced GM. Glad your group seemed to like it.

Last edited by Claybor (3/12/2015 10:32 am)

3/13/2015 7:06 am  #3

To support this post - I ran a Dicey Tales adventure the other week for my main gaming group. None of them had any previous experience with BoL (although a number of them did support the BoL Mythic kickstarter).

I basically converted an old FGU Daredevils adventure and converted their old Daredevils characters. The characters worked out great and we managed to complete the adventure in one session. Really easy from a GM's standpoint to convert from old game systems like Daredevils and really easy from a player's standpoint to learn the rules and get on with playing.

The upshot is they want to play more and I think it's going to be a very easy sell for me to use BoL based mechanics for other settings further down the line. This weekend? More Dicey Tales 

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/16/2015 12:26 pm  #4

My original group there wasn't able to make it this week, so one of the players and a new player created new characters and off we went.

Unfortunately for them, they used up all their hero points on 2 PC-scaled NPCs that I had to make up on the spot because they kicked in a random inn door looking for their new employer. They had forgotten to ask him something. They ran into 2 Ghanatans who didn't take kindly to the intrusion.

This lack of hero points allowed a simple trap to shine. They both failed mind tests to notice a weakened section of stairs, and the assassin fell down, then tumbled down a few more feet (failed agi check), and was left at 1 LB. Then he touched a door that burst into "magical flames" (illusion) which knocked him unconscious. The other character carried his fallen comrade downstairs, failing a mind check to notice he was still alive, and began building a funeral pyre. Luckily for the unconscious character, he awoke just before his comrade lit the pyre. 

It didn't seem like we got much "done" but both players had a blast and we might have even recruited a third player for that group. I guess I better get to designing some adventures.

3/17/2015 6:03 am  #5

I've probably run more Dicey Tales games than S&S BoL, although our long running BoL Lemurian game is regarded as one of the best games I've run in recent years.

I'm currently planning my first game run under Mythic rules, a 18th Century supernatural game. I'm taking the Pike, Shotte and Sorcery hack of H+I and other bits of H+I inself, and converting it all to Mythic. Using BoL for different genres and periods is a snap.

My real name is Steve Hall

3/17/2015 4:11 pm  #6

Gruntfuttock wrote:

I've probably run more Dicey Tales games than S&S BoL, although our long running BoL Lemurian game is regarded as one of the best games I've run in recent years.

I'm currently planning my first game run under Mythic rules, a 18th Century supernatural game. I'm taking the Pike, Shotte and Sorcery hack of H+I and other bits of H+I inself, and converting it all to Mythic. Using BoL for different genres and periods is a snap.

That sounds like a cool idea. I have several friends interested in early 1900s Cthulhu-style stories who would enjoy if I cooked something up like that for them.

3/18/2015 12:27 am  #7

I've had an idea for a game set in Paris around 1900-1905, occult themed and involving anarchists, aristocratic secret societies, les apaches, conspiracies and a small number of monsters. I've done a bit of work on this, all in Legendary Edition. I might stay with LE for the game (if I ever get around to running it) as brawling might feature quite a bit, so it deserves it's own stat. Also the large number of quite weak firearms are probably easier to differentiate in LE.

And why low-powered pistols (aside from the fact these are historically accurate?) Because how else can your exponents of La Cane and Savate really shine.

If you want visuals to inspire you, try to seek out the French film Les Brigades du Tigre (cop story set in 1913). Try Penny Dreadful (albeit set in London in the 1890s) for scary nighttime visual inspiration.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (3/18/2015 12:29 am)

My real name is Steve Hall

3/18/2015 5:02 am  #8

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Wow - that's pretty much what I'm working on at the moment as well 

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

Board footera