The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/30/2014 4:28 am  #1

"Flavor text" magic

On my blog I've just posted a "flavor text" magic system for BoL. You can find it here.

In a nutshell, this is the basis of the idea:

What is magic? When you answer that question you define how you want your magic system to be. I'm considering the following alternative: magic is simply flavor text.

Why do that? Because, depending on how you treat magic, that's what happens. Let's see some examples:

-The sorcerer casts a spell to hit a foe at range.
-The sorcerer creates a magic blade and strikes his enemy.
-The sorcerer charms the guard into letting him pass.
-The sorcerer opens a lock by touching it with his wand.
-The sorcerer levitates over a chasm to reach the other side.
-The sorcerer shapechanges himself into a wolf.

Picture the scenes above. Done that? Good. Now consider this:

-The warrior hits a foe with his bow.
-The barbarian strikes his enemy with his might axe.
-The cunning maid uses her appeal to convince the guard to let her pass.
-The rogue opens a lock using his tools.
-The acrobat tosses a rope to the other side of a chasm and uses it to cross it.
-The sorcerer shapechanges himself into a wolf.

Except for the last example, everything the sorcerer did was just something another competent hero could do, only using magic! What was magic in those examples? Just flavor text. Just a catch-all term for the action.

Last edited by Fermmoylle (11/03/2014 9:51 am)

Marcelo "Fermmoylle" Paschoalin
Brazilian Novelist and RPG author

11/03/2014 3:26 am  #2

Re: "Flavor text" magic

No comments so far... Is this idea so terrible?

11/03/2014 9:50 am  #3

I think with the lack of emphasis on paying for gear in BoL this is actually pretty darn fair. I mean if you forced the barbarian to keep track of arrows/swords etc, then you'd need to do something for the sorcerer (a co$t per ranged attack etc.). But if you don't then your idea works!
The sorcerer just needs to play to their strengths (abilites and attributes) and they'll be different than the Barbarian's.  I like it. it should work very well.

Last edited by jasales (11/03/2014 9:51 am)

11/03/2014 9:55 am  #4

Have you checked the whole post on my blog? -- http://darkfaterpg.blogspot.com.br/2014/10/bol-flavor-text-magic.html
There I mention the full mechanics (including backlashes and limits to spellcasting).
On the playtests, everything worked well. However, I think I need more than my 5 players' opinions. ;-)

11/03/2014 5:49 pm  #5

It seems like a neat idea. I'd give it a shot in my game but that won't be for a while.

11/04/2014 8:48 am  #6

Ok, I went and read your whole article. I like it even more, but now I want to ask for more. Could you, would you please write it up as a document and include more "Real Magic" examples and then post a link?

11/04/2014 8:51 am  #7

Of course! Gimme a few days and I'll write it.
Meanwhile, do you have any specific questions or comments?

11/04/2014 9:05 am  #8

I don't have any questions at this time. It seems pretty straight forward and would satisfy those players that want a more high fantasy feel to their games and you don't really have to change a thing. I like the idea of mixing it with the existing magic for a more ritual type magic as you suggest. Very cool.

OH, I did think of something. It would be nice in the examples you show contrasting sorcerer and barbarian approaches to have the recommened die rolls in parenthesis just to get ideas flowing.

Last edited by jasales (11/04/2014 9:07 am)

11/04/2014 12:14 pm  #9

Another question comes to mind. how much damage should the sorcer do on his "magic" attacks?
Or should that scale with a stat? Would you use the light/medium/heavy damage from Mythic?

11/05/2014 3:13 am  #10

jasales wrote:

Another question comes to mind. how much damage should the sorcer do on his "magic" attacks?
Or should that scale with a stat? Would you use the light/medium/heavy damage from Mythic?

This is easier to answer than the other (that requires more writing). :-)
I like the Mythic changes to damage, so basic Magic damage is 1d6. Add Mind to damage caused in melee, half that to ranged strikes.

Board footera