The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2014 2:20 pm  #171

Re: Barbarians of the Void

jasales wrote:

Or the really easy fix you mentioned, treat it as a boon die would be totally BoL flavor.

This I like. I'm not a fan of the BoL Mythic Initiative rules (I think they're overly complicated and not very intuitive) but going with a boon die the Wired Reflexes Boon should work with whatever version of BoL the players are using.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

11/20/2014 2:51 pm  #172

Hi, everybody! 

After reading the freely-available BoL rules, which I really liked a lot, I have discovered your sci-fi conversion which seems very promising. I was planning to use it in a  Star Trek setting game. However, I have a couple of questions:

1) I was going to print it  (I prefer this way in order to take notes), but I'm not sure which is the last version you have available. May be you so kind to confirm me which URL to use?

2) Which version of the BoL do you need in order to complement BoV? As I said, I'm using the latest freely-available version in the BoL website ("Earlier editions" section). I have no problem in buying the BoL Legendary Edition, but this way would be more comfortable for my players.

Thanks a lot in advance.

11/20/2014 7:01 pm  #173

jasales wrote:

Wired Reflexes...hmm. Maybe I've been doing it wrong? We just roll Mind + Initiative and if there is a cyber ninja (wired reflexes) they get to go first, unless there are two then they roll to see which one of them (cyber ninjas) goes first. Then, once the fast boys are done playing everyone else goes in order.

Unless I'm totally not doing it right that has worked very smoothly for us.

Or the really easy fix you mentioned, treat it as a boon die would be totally BoL flavor.

And rereading Mythic I see I wasn't doing it right.  Sigh.  Those rules are clunky.

I think the way I've been doing it and the way it is listed for Starship Combat in BotV is the way to go. Simple, easy to remember and it keeps the game moving.

Last edited by jasales (11/20/2014 7:18 pm)

11/20/2014 11:44 pm  #174

The GIT! wrote:

jasales wrote:

This I like. I'm not a fan of the BoL Mythic Initiative rules (I think they're overly complicated and not very intuitive) 

Maybe you aren't reading them right.  In the playtests I've run and the playtests Phil ran at Indiecon they worked really well and saved a lot of time. I think in the editing the text may have been cleaned up to read better too.

11/20/2014 11:50 pm  #175

jasales wrote:

[
And rereading Mythic I see I wasn't doing it right.  Sigh.  Those rules are clunky.

Really? Why do you say that? Tell us more.  We've given plenty of chance for feedback and not really had much to speak of. 

The rules have had much testing and they seem to work fine. The key here is "you weren't doing it right".

(Maybe this should be split off to asnother thread)

11/21/2014 12:25 am  #176

Simon W wrote:

jasales wrote:

[

Really? Why do you say that? Tell us more.  We've given plenty of chance for feedback and not really had much to speak of. 

The rules have had much testing and they seem to work fine. The key here is "you weren't doing it right".

(Maybe this should be split off to asnother thread)

Well, actually, I did mention my concerns about the new Initiative system a while back. I just figured I was a lone voice shouting in the wind so I didn't worry too much. The beauty of BoL is you can easily use different rules from different editions without any major impact on the game. You probably should move this to another thread (and I apologise if I started something by mentioning the Initiative system in this thread).

BTW - I realise I'm not jasales so it probably wasn't really my place to answer this question.

Last edited by The GIT! (11/21/2014 12:27 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

11/21/2014 4:54 am  #177

Hmm, as Simon said I found them very easy to use. You make your priority roll than act in the following order:

1  Heroes with Legendary Success
2  Heroes with Mighty Success
3  Heroes with Success
4  Villains
5  Toughs (no 1st Combat Round vs Legendary/ Mighty Success)
6  Heroes with a Failure result
7  Rabble (no 1st Combat Round vs Legendary/ Mighty Success)
8  Heroes with a Calamitous Failure result

Not sure what's clunky about that?

11/21/2014 5:25 am  #178

Whats clunky is having to roll the dice and then figuring whether you have a legendary, mighty or regular success (or failure) and then comparing that with everybody else as opposed to just rolling dice, adding your initiative rating and just saying everybody goes in the order highest to lowest. Also, I don't like the fact that heroes basically get to go before villains no matter what (failures not included); for me that's just tipping things too far in the heroes favour. For me it just feels like trying to make the task resolution system be used for everything when a simpler method is available.

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy for the rules to stay as they are with regards to Initiative in Mythic (and I'm sure many players are OK with them); I just won't be using them.

Last edited by The GIT! (11/21/2014 5:25 am)

11/21/2014 6:34 am  #179

moucho wrote:

Hi, everybody! 

After reading the freely-available BoL rules, which I really liked a lot, I have discovered your sci-fi conversion which seems very promising. I was planning to use it in a  Star Trek setting game. However, I have a couple of questions:

1) I was going to print it  (I prefer this way in order to take notes), but I'm not sure which is the last version you have available. May be you so kind to confirm me which URL to use?

2) Which version of the BoL do you need in order to complement BoV? As I said, I'm using the latest freely-available version in the BoL website ("Earlier editions" section). I have no problem in buying the BoL Legendary Edition, but this way would be more comfortable for my players.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi moucho,
currently, the most recent version of BotV is found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106432046/BOL%20Void%202.0.pdf
However, I am currently cleaning it up some more, making minor changes, correcting typos an so on.
Once that's done I'll be posting a link to the revised document in this thread. I don't yet have a time frame though.

As for which version of BoL is needed for use with BotV, well the truth is that I only ever used BoL: Legendary and have since moved onto BoL: Mythic (Draft Rules). Either of those can easily be used with BotV.
I never read through the original free version, so I can't speak on whether BotV would work with it.

11/21/2014 6:46 am  #180

I started a new thread about initiative at: http://championsoflemuria.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=1655#p1655

Board footera