The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/28/2014 5:15 pm  #21

Re: H of H Review

Thanks nerosfiddle. We are on the same page. I couldn't have said it better.

I get tired of the same weak excuses why women can't play warriors. Like a women would have less of a chance of being a fictional muscle bound badasses than your average 'fat beard' gamer. Pretty silly.

I am a feminist and enjoy the company of all people, women included. Women make up approx. 50% of the population. A lot of them don't play games because of the sexism they encounter when trying to play games. I have already adressed this problem in the introduction of HoH.

Women as Heroes
Most Achaean mythology is male dominated. There are a
few examples of Heroic women. I meant this game to be
non - sexist, with no clearly designated gender roles. If you
are fortunate enough to have a woman player at your table,
please don’t tell her she needs to be a courtesan or serving
wench. Let her play whatever she wants. I have seen many
women be driven out of games by sexism. I have had many
more fun games with women players. So, please let them
play the way they want, without making comments.

5/29/2014 3:09 am  #22

Hell, yeah!

My wife is the biggest badass in our group, whatever we are playing. She always jumps in guns blazing or spear stabbing (depending on the genre). She plays an Amazon in every game!

Umungus, when I read it after purchasing H of H, I loved the section of the rules you just quoted.
H of H is all the better for it.

My real name is Steve Hall

6/03/2014 3:40 pm  #23

Not having read HoH myself, I was unaware of that statement at the start of the book. That statement in the book clears it. Thanks.

In general I (and my troupe) prefer games that are based on historical or semi historical settings to have characters that are representative of such settings. There are 2 women in my gaming table and they tend to be the contrary of what you say: they hate when they are told that they can play characters that they feel unrealistic in "historical" settings because of modern sensibilities. The rest of the troupe feels the same. We try to play the setting we are in, not the modern world displaced to a fantastic land.

Failing to find great a high presence of warrior women images and characters in a rulebook about the Greek myths and being against gender equality in the XXIst century are two extremely different things. I would be wary to leap between the 2 statements so easily.

Last edited by Xavi (6/03/2014 11:54 pm)

6/04/2014 3:29 am  #24

Sure Xavi, I also like historical semi-historical settings from time to time, and can appreciate the appeal of playing within the constraints of those societies. And I don't think anyone suggested that taking the position you do on H of H means that you are against gender equality.
However, H of H is not a historical game, but is clearly based on the Holywood take on Greek myth. As such, warrior women are - to my mind at least - clearly part of the mix. Personally, for a 'historical' game of Greek myth I'd use BRP, not H of H. - it's a better fit.

Different strokes and all that.

My real name is Steve Hall

6/04/2014 3:47 am  #25

Yeah, I wouldn't use HoH for a purely historical game. I'd use it for Xena in a shot though!

6/04/2014 8:03 am  #26

Xavi wrote:

Failing to find great a high presence of warrior women images and characters in a rulebook about the Greek myths and being against gender equality in the XXIst century are two extremely different things. I would be wary to leap between the 2 statements so easily.

I get your point. I'm glad that you are not against Gender equality.

It is fine IMO if you and the ladies that you play with want to be more historical. HoH is not that. If you want to tweak it to make it historical, I think that is totally do-able.

The concept of HoH is a mash up of Greek myth, Film, Frazetta and Sword and sorcery; so there is an amount of warrior women and skin. I intended it to be non intimadating to play by someone who doesn't know much aboout Greek myth. Kind of like someone can play D&D without being a medievil history buff.

6/04/2014 8:23 am  #27

Actually if you are a medieval history buff you get the creeps with D&D

6/04/2014 8:47 am  #28

Xavi wrote:

Actually if you are a medieval history buff you get the creeps with D&D

True

Board footera