The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2014 12:22 pm  #1

Firefly

Here is my current quick and dirty hack for using BoL in the Verse. I'll put some more work into it if it takes off with my local group, and post here as I do. Suggestions and comments are welcome...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-iFejs2JWascnlTR0M1WVlZY1U/edit?usp=sharing

Because the truth is that my God is coming back. When he arrives I’ll be waiting for him with a shotgun. And I’m keeping the last shell for myself. ~ Charles Stross, The Fuller Memorandum ~

5/09/2014 2:59 pm  #2

Re: Firefly

Very nice hack. I like it. Congratulations. Maybe some info on how to handle ships would be appreciared, but appart from that I think it can work perfectly as written The character sheet is also really nice. I just would remove the 2 blank pages so it is shorter (6 pages) but that is me.

Testing the edit function.... YAY!

Last edited by Xavi (5/10/2014 2:30 am)

5/10/2014 12:41 am  #3

I don't know Firefly but character sheet is fine indeed. Impressive.

Bow to Satan!!!

5/10/2014 2:33 am  #4

Firefly is frontier stuff along the lines of wild west stories mixed up with spaceships. It is a light mood series. Not long since it was cancelled, but the movie they made creates a good finale for it all, so it is not one of these series that was left to die an ignominous death mid-story. Worth a look I would say.If you like quite cheesy action series

5/10/2014 3:25 am  #5

I don't like Wild West and spaceships, either. Theese aren't my lovely genre. I prefer Sword&Sorcery style and medieval-like fantasy or quasi-medieval-historical (what a construct...) settings.
Simon W. wrote Medieval Mysteries, I like him for that. Maelstrom Domesday (stable Arion Games) is alike. Now I look for Cadfael stories on DVD

Bow to Satan!!!

5/10/2014 9:11 pm  #6

Xavi, I know what you mean about the blank pages, but they were necessary for booklet printing in Acrobat. Apparently 6 doesn't work right. Thanks for the good words though ;).

Mruf, sorry you don't like westerns and spaceships. Maybe you'll be more into my Dark Sun hack when I get it done, though I know folk have done it before.

Because the truth is that my God is coming back. When he arrives I’ll be waiting for him with a shotgun. And I’m keeping the last shell for myself. ~ Charles Stross, The Fuller Memorandum ~

5/10/2014 10:35 pm  #7

Dark Sun much, much better I don't play Dark Sun only because of D&D's engine. I rather don't like d20.

Bow to Satan!!!

5/12/2014 8:36 am  #8

I'm a fan of Firefly and Serenity and I really like this hack. I'm definitely going to look at using this for my game group (we're all Firefly fans). Some rules for designing spaceships might be a good way to go as well - perhaps something similar to the Cortex system of making spaceships characters in their own right (hence assigning Boons and Flaws). I'm not a fan of Cortex but some of the Cortex design ideas are actually quite good, and can probably be easily converted to BoL. As an aside, the Honor + Intrigue rules do a good job of designing ships with Boons and Flaws. Maybe a combination of those rules and some ideas from Cortex could be used to really expand this hack with spaceships.

Last edited by The GIT! (5/12/2014 11:59 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

5/12/2014 11:43 am  #9

I'm not a fan of Cortex

I was a fan of Cortex but only for a while. Then I meet Savage Worlds and Cortex went aside... Btw Savage isn't perfect, either. "I'm still haven't found what I'm looking for" - I think about Holy Grail - best engine of all. For the moment for Sword&Sorcery style the best is BoL, but I like Maelstrom Domesday, The One Ring, Advanced Fighting Fantasy, Shaintar, too. BoL doesn't reflect (mirror?) this kind of settings well.

Bow to Satan!!!

5/12/2014 5:54 pm  #10

I think both systems, while nearly identical (Cortex has been accused of basically cloning SW...)  have their strengths and weaknesses.  I like SW for Fantasy and Medieval, but Cortex handles sci fi a little better and I have one GM who uses it to great effect to play BPRD...

Board footera