The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2014 10:06 pm  #1

Fantasy races for use with BoL rules

Elves 
Mysterious beings that live deep in ancient forests and have little to do with humanity. On rare occasions elves will trade with humans or dwarfs and the odd elf adventurer may be encountered from time to time. Elves are slender and fair, standing around 5' in height. They are a noble and guarded people, not particularly hospitable to strangers or outsiders. 

Elves make excellent wizards and alchemists and many follow careers such as Healer, Minstrel or Merchant, although Soldiers and Mercenaries are not unknown. Elves that sacrifice a living creature to perform magic are on the path to becoming dark elves, which is a mental conviction and commitment, and not about hiding from the sun underground. 

Boons 
Magically Inclined: When casting spells, roll an extra die, no extra Flaw is required. 
Elf Bow Master: Roll an extra die when attacking with an elven bow. 
Forest Tracker 
Learned 
Night Sight 
Keen Eyesight 
Attractive 

Flaws 
Arrogant: Roll an extra die when dealing with humans or hobbers 
Alien Mind: Elves often think far “outside the box” compared to humans, roll an extra die when reasoning with humans on esoteric or martial subjects. 
Hatred of Orcs and Goblins: Roll an extra die to resist attacking orcs and goblins on sight. 
Delicate 

Dwarfs 
The dwarf people are short (standing around 4' tall) and generally quite gruff. Males grow long beards, although females, contrary to rumor, do not. The promise of gold will convince a dwarf to take on an adventure, otherwise they are comfortable mining and exploring the depths of their vast mountain realms. Dwarfs do not shy away from combat and many seek glory in war and battle. 
Many dwarfs follow careers as Merchants, Soldiers and Barbarians, although Minstrels are not unheard of. 

Boons 
WarAxe Master: A dwarf using a dwarven War Axe rolls one extra die. 
Crossbow Master: A dwarf using a dwarven crossbow, may roll one extra die. 
Rock Tracker 
Carouser 
Hard To Kill 

Flaws 
Drunkard 
Taciturn 
Greed 
Landlubber 

Little People 
Caught halfway between the world of Fairy and the Mundane, the Little People tend to stay out of the way and keep away from most Big Folk. Little People vary in size from the troublesome gnomes (standing around 2' tall), to the magical brownies (around 3' tall) to the hobbers (around 3 1/2' tall). 
Little Folk make excellent Thieves, Assassins and Minstrels, although Soldiers and Magicians can be found among them as well. 

Boons 
Knife Fighter: Little Folk are handy with knives and may roll one extra die when using one in combat. 
Magically Inclined: For Gnomes and Brownies, this is like magic for elves, you may use one extra die when casting spells, no extra Flaw is required. 
Etiquette 
Sneaky 
Keen Hearing 
Nose For Magic 
Magic Resistance (for hobbers) 

Flaws 
Delicate 
Distrust of Big Folk: Roll an extra die when making deals/trades/bargaining with human sized (or bigger) folk (except Elves). 
Country Bumpkin 
Landlubber 

Orcs 
Brutish thugs for the most part, these evil humanoids are often in the employ of evil wizards, sometimes amassed into huge armies, if left to their own devices however, they quickly disperse into small warbands. Orcs are vile and cruel, but effective in battle and are loyal as long as the payment is satisfactory. 
Orcs are often Soldiers and Assassins, those that show up in civilized lands are often Mercenaries or Priests. 

Boons 
Saber Fighter: Use an extra die whenever you are fighting with a genuine Orc Saber. 
Fearsome Looks 
Night Sight 
Keen Eyesight 
Hard-to-Kill 
Quick Recovery 

Flaws 
Brutish 
Unsettling 
Illiterate 
Antisocial: Orcs have a hard time dealing with others and remaining calm, roll an extra die in social situations. 

Goblins 
Smaller than orcs, but no less despicable, goblins are closer to the fey realm than their larger and more brutal cousins. Goblins sometimes lurk about in deep dungeons or ancient forests, their shamans and wizards knowing just enough magic to keep the more predatory monsters around them at bay. Goblins are nocturnal and sometimes ride wolves or giant bats into combat, the rays of the sun weaken them tremendously. 
Shifty and sneaky, goblins are great Assassins and Thieves, although some pursue careers as Alchemists, Magicians or Priests of their dark and feral deities. 

Boons 
Scimitar Fighter: Use an extra die whenever you are fighting with a traditional Goblin Scimitar. 
Born To Climb: Roll an extra die when climbing vertical surfaces. 
Sneaky 
Fearsome Looks 
Nose for Sorcery 
Night Sight 
Rock or Forest Tracker 

Flaws 
Weakened by the Sun: Roll an extra die when fighting or searching in bright daylight. 
Unsettling 
Easily Broken: Goblins break easily under scrutiny or interrogation, roll an extra die in these situations, failure means that the goblin babbles incessantly. 
Untrustworthy 
Brutish 

Languages and Notes 
The following new languages are introduced with this offering: Elvish, Dwarven, Sylvan (spoken by Little Folk and Elves), Orcs and Goblins speak the Night-tongue. 

These races can be dropped in as enigmas, one-offs, visitors from another time or plane, etc. They may be NPCs or a GM can allow them as player races. 

Note that Little Folk and Goblins are Small (Average damage is d3, average lifeblood is 5, base move is 25').

I am the one who writes ​https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/ for the OSR, yet BoL and Everywhen are pretty cool too.

1/30/2014 4:12 am  #2

Re: Fantasy races for use with BoL rules

You know, I always say that I'm sick to death of elf/dwarf/orc games - and I loathe hobbits - but I had this game idea a little while back.... Thanks mate, I think you saved me some work!

My real name is Steve Hall

1/30/2014 7:58 am  #3

My pleasure! I know that these races are not everyone's cup of tea and that is fine, I use them and I do because as a wee lad playing D&D the animated Tolkien movies were out and these were very inspirational, especially Bakshi's Lord of the Rings, but not dismissing the Rankin/Bass efforts either, silly songs aside. I always had the Bakshi imagery in my mind when running a game, expanding that weird look outside of Middle-Earth and into my game world. And with BoL I have a starter town like Bree, filled with ne'er-do-wells and sketchy types and I have built it from there, using these races and an expanded magic system.

Please let me know how it goes for you!

I am the one who writes ​https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/ for the OSR, yet BoL and Everywhen are pretty cool too.

2/01/2014 9:14 am  #4

Gruntfuttock wrote:

You know, I always say that I'm sick to death of elf/dwarf/orc games - and I loathe hobbits...

Don't even get me started with Tinker Gnomes and... <low, raspy voice> Kinder!

Although I do like playable Catfolk, Bonemen (Nehwon Ghouls), Satyrs, and Cambians (half-demons) -- if only for an alternative to all the Tolkienesque races.

2/02/2014 5:57 am  #5

The elves from ElfQuest are a very different sort, more in line with actuall myth but with a twist. The graphic novels are available on line, they are worth reading and I don't even care for the graphic novel format.

4/12/2014 4:51 pm  #6

We used fantasy races in a BoL style game too, but I like how yours work.  (We made non-humans take race as a Career.   This allowed you to use your race like a career (Elves added Race to things life climbing trees and such, dwarves were good at tracking underground, etc.) and opened up some new Boons and Flaws.   In one playtest, we had a Catfolk (like the B/X Rakasta), Elf, and Lizardman, all working for the PC human Noble...

4/16/2014 7:30 am  #7

And that's the idea. Take something, tinker with it and make it your own for your game.
I don't see why a gnome or goblin can't appear here and there anyway as even CAS had goblins (in Zothique) and Fafhrd's home was decimated by ice gnomes in the work of Fritz Leiber. Lizardmen, catpeople, if it works in your game it is perfect.

4/18/2014 12:47 pm  #8

I agree.   I think part of the fun of Fantasy Races is working with the players to put a S&S twist on the race.  Savage Elves, Lizardmen with an ancient culture and dark, demanding gods.  Earthy Dwarves.  Etc.

5/12/2014 6:13 am  #9

I see you didn't diversify attributes, all races are alike at the beginning. What do I mean? 4 instance: hobbits' STR limited to 4 (normally is 5) and AG extended to 6, other races in a similar way...
Different races aren't the same as for attributes and possibilities. Who'll take a PC hobbit (to play a thief) if AG isn't bigger than in the case of human?

Bow to Satan!!!

5/12/2014 8:43 am  #10

Mruf wrote:

I see you didn't diversify attributes, all races are alike at the beginning. What do I mean? 4 instance: hobbits' STR limited to 4 (normally is 5) and AG extended to 6, other races in a similar way...
Different races aren't the same as for attributes and possibilities. Who'll take a PC hobbit (to play a thief) if AG isn't bigger than in the case of human?

I'm not a fan of differentiating races by tinkering with the Attributes. PCs are supposed to be better than average for their race so why shouldn't you be able to come across a surprisingly strong Hobbit? Sure, his size may still work against him but that can be decided in-game depending on the circumstances. I like the idea of making non-human races a Career; that's a very simple and effective method of bringing in fantasy races without having to make up loads of house-rules.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

Board footera