The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2014 10:18 pm  #1

[Dogs of W*A*R] Dark of the Sun

So, I got to run my game based on the Wilbur Smith's novel Dark of the Sunlast night. I changed a few things around (for example there was a girl in our group who was playing a nurse. So, I had it that when the player playing the Rod Taylor character (his name in the game was actually Major Robert Shaw, rather than Curry) went to get the doctor to come on the expedition, he was as drunk as a skunk and no use to anyone. Therefore he took the dutch nurse (Kimmie De Haven) instead. I'll try to post a fuller account at the weekend but suffice to say it went really well, the guys enjoyed it and we're about halfway through. The main highlight was the bren gunner and the marksman holding off about 30 Simba rebels outside the mission whilst inside there was a soon-to-be mother giving birth, with Kimmie desparately trying to hurry the process along so they could get the hell out of there and board the train. 

4/05/2014 8:18 am  #2

Re: [Dogs of W*A*R] Dark of the Sun

Sounds excellent. Any chance you might consider making the adventure available as a pdf?

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

4/12/2014 6:45 pm  #3

I'd like to second a PDF adventure for this...

4/12/2014 7:39 pm  #4

Actually, I'd also be very interested to hear how you handled the time sensitive tasks (such as the imminent childbirth) and whether you did have a chainsaw fightI must admit to liking the movie a lot (I like most Rod Taylor movies) but I haven't read the book yet. Did you also include a certain time sensitive issue with a certain heavy door?

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

4/12/2014 10:42 pm  #5

The GIT! wrote:

Sounds excellent. Any chance you might consider making the adventure available as a pdf?

I must admit, I hadn't thought of that. I suppose I could give it a go - to be honest, it was mainly a few notes and what I remembered from reading the book. I haven't seen the movie for ages. The adventure will end up differing widely from the book (as did the remaining part of the adventure when I ran it the other day).Anyway, watch this space.

4/12/2014 11:02 pm  #6

The GIT! wrote:

Actually, I'd also be very interested to hear how you handled the time sensitive tasks (such as the imminent childbirth) and whether you did have a chainsaw fightI must admit to liking the movie a lot (I like most Rod Taylor movies) but I haven't read the book yet. Did you also include a certain time sensitive issue with a certain heavy door?

To be honest, I just played fast and loose. The bren gunner and the marksman had set up shop outside the mission to cover the street, and I just had a jeep come around the corner, whilst saying they can hear trucks not far behind. I then switched between each scene - inside the mission describing the sounds of approaching vehicles and gunfire and applying a negative modifier to the medical tasks - I sais she needed to make 3 successful task rolls, each one harder than the last (a Mighty Success counting as 2 and a Legendary counting as all 3 - had the Legendary occurred near the end, the guys outside would have heard the baby crying and they would have received either a +1 or +2 bonus the their checks).  As it was, the marksman shot all three guys in the jeep (with an EP) and the bren gunner waited till the truck came around the corner and took it out on full auto (with an EP). They then picked off some of the guys that were folowing up on foot - they kinda had an idea how long they had to hold them off for from the results of the nurse's medical rolls.  I also had a Simba rebel sneaking in the back of the mission but the nurse shot him with barely a pause and carried on with her task (1 EP).

The bank was different, because the pcs never went near it! In my scenario, they didn't know about the diamonds - only Muller did. So, I had Muller and his men break into it "off scene" - although one of the pcs spotted them going into the bank, he didn't bother to tell the others. Later on (after the scene above) Muller and his men were seen taking bags to the train - and the pcs questioned some of the townspeople they'd rescued until they found out about the diamonds. So this is where things took a somewhat different turn.

4/15/2014 11:53 am  #7

Simon - you have to create a pdf of this adventure. The movie is great and it sounds like you've done a great job of replicating the setting without railroading the players. I think a pdf could also be used as an instructive tool - showing how to create tension by requiring multiple successes, and how someone succeeding can help other characters (the morale bonus being a good example).

Board footera