The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2014 2:57 pm  #1

Sword & Planet?

Hey folks, while pulpy sword & sorcery is my go-to genre, I am also very much in love with sword and planet adventures ala John Carter's on Barsoom, among others.

I know of Swords of Almuric based on Howard's novel, but admittedly I don't know much about it as a BoL system expansion.

Any reviews of it from my fellow BoL-lovers? Or suggestions and links to other S&P-type BoL fun?

Art By Blob                                                  Legend4ry Gaming

2/12/2014 3:53 am  #2

Re: Sword & Planet?

There was talk about a S&P game using BoL as the engine that was to be called Cavaliers of Mars. Later the decision was made to switch to H&I for the engine.It's still apparently a live project, but it appears to be crawling to completion. See the writer's blog posts about it here: http://blog.fantasyheartbreaker.com/tag/cavaliers-of-mars/

The flavour text posts called 'The Apprentice's Tale' are worth reading to see if this game is likely to appeal. Just scroll down the page linked above to find the collected links to all the posts.

My real name is Steve Hall

2/15/2014 9:13 am  #3

Oooo Cavaliers of Mars sounds right up my alley!

Bumb if anyone has any reviews of Swords of Almuric?

Art By Blob                                                  Legend4ry Gaming

4/08/2014 9:14 am  #4

Onyx Path's recent "Work in Progress" blog post made no mention of CoM.  The pessimist in me wonders which will be published first, CoM or Pulp Cthulhu...  

4/09/2014 10:52 am  #5

Honestly, I thought CoM for BoL had gone the way of the Dodo  Does anyone have any recent news on this?

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

4/12/2014 6:40 pm  #6

As I posted in another thread, SoA is only a mediocre homage to Almuric and you'd probably be better served making your own version from BoL and BoA.

Its not bad as a PDF, but it needs to be re-written and probably expanded quite a bit to make it worthwhile.

4/09/2015 9:56 am  #7

The desire for a "Sword & Planet" game kind of puzzles me because from what I can see Lemuria really IS a combination of Barsoom and Hyperbora. It seems like anything you wanted to do on Barsoom could be done on Lemuria couldn't it?

I have Swords of Almurac (the game AND the book!) but haven't gotten around to reading either....

Come to think of it, could anything you do on Barsoom be done on Almuric as well?

Board footera