The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2014 3:01 pm  #1

Tools of the trade: for sorcerers?

Hi there!

I am reading the Mythic edition of the game. I am really impressed at the improvements over the Legendary edition so far. Careers are much better than in that edition, and the virtues and flaws look great. It seems characters are even better in terms of power, since their boons do not cost as much as they used to.

Regarding boons, I found the idea of Tools of trade great and very fitting. I have a question though. Can a sorcerer have tools of trade related to that career? A staff with engraved runes, the paradigmatic skull with bound spirit, a sacrifice knife, a flying lizzard familiar, stones to channel the raw power of magic...? It would seem fitting, but again we have several virtues that are specific for sorcerers and one of them even do the same (magic of the sorcerer kings) but at a much higher cost (an extra flaw). This is why I am asking.

Thanks
Xavi

3/21/2014 8:01 am  #2

Re: Tools of the trade: for sorcerers?

Your question is a good one. The existing boons to boost sorcery do carry an additional penalty (flaw) as they are broad in scope of use. If you thought appropriate for your game you could allow an item that functioned as a tool of the trade for specific tasks such as "the bowl of Agragor" which provides a bonus die for divinations  or the "Black dagger of Zurin" that when used in blood sacrifice provides a bonus die when summoning demons. Of course sorcerors are greedy beings indeed and often covet items of power that others own. While not a full on Mcguffin it could still lead to some good story.

Coins, cleavage, and carnage...the three C's of Swords & Sorcery.

3/28/2014 5:17 am  #3

Do you think it would be necessary to limit the scope of the item to a certain practice or type of magic? The rest of the items of the game provide the 3D as long as you are using the item, after all: all combat for a favoured weapon, any thief-y act for thief tools...

3/30/2014 7:57 pm  #4

I do for the following reasons. In my games, tools of the trade "thief" applies to lock picking and mechanical traps, not stealth, climbing, or pocket picking. Favored weapon would not be sword but much more specific such as foil or rapier.

The examples I provided are not that limiting if you get creative. Think about the black dagger of Zurin that provides a bonus die when summoning demons...well you can summon a demon to do just about anything so that bonus die can really be applied to a wide array of end results.

Perhaps having the bonus die apply to if certain actions are taken. Such as the black dagger only providing a benefit with the "wounds"option and the bowl only with the "ritual" option.

In the end its just a way of controlling a very powerful game mechanic, which ultimately is limited by arcane power anyway. It boils down to how "high magic" you wish your setting to be.

Coins, cleavage, and carnage...the three C's of Swords & Sorcery.

4/12/2014 2:54 pm  #5

Is there a beta version of Mythic somewhere?  I'm interested in how it differs from BoL:LE

4/12/2014 2:55 pm  #6

Nevermind.   found it.  Thanks

Board footera