The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2026 9:49 am  #1


Tell Me About Your Dicey Tales Games

Hey, folks!

Got the PDF of Dicey Tales for X-Mas. Haven't had time to give it a thorough read, but I really like what I see. I'm a sucker for pulp adventure gaming in the vein of Indiana Jones, the Mummy (1999), the Rocketeer, the Phantom, and Tales of the Gold Monkey. (Lassiter and High Road to China get honorable mentions, though they're not quite so full-speed-ahead/have a man come through the door with a gun as I tend to like.

I'm thinking of eventually doing something using the Gamboa setting (Dicey Tales Adventures #1 is probably my next RPG purchase). Years and years back, I was part of a South Seas Pulp Adventure Campaign that was actually a bait-and-switch to send our sea plane through the Banestorm maelstrom to crash in the GURPS setting, Yrth. We went along with it, but there was some degree of disappointment about setting up cool characters to function in the '30s and then...not. In particular, one of the players set up her character as a pilot running a trading post and charter air service on a small island. She put SO MUCH work into it and then no payoff.

So this would be my chance to give some of the folks from that game a chance at playing the game that we hoped for back then. (The GM has since moved on from the group, so I don't have to worry about feeling like I'm giving him a middle finger over the initial game. Sadly, the lady who worked so hard on the entrepreneur/pilot is no longer with us.)

Anyway, as I contemplate Dicey Tales, it made me curious about what sorts of campaigns other folks have run with the game. Straight up pulp adventure? Masked mystery men? Aviation adventures? Espionage? Horror? Private Eyes?

Love to hear anything you care to share.

 


-- Paul
 

2/08/2026 11:37 am  #2


Re: Tell Me About Your Dicey Tales Games

First off I must say that the Gamboa Station setting is a great piece of work. I ran a short campaign set in Asia where Alison's PC - Alice Ferguson - used Gamboa as her base. Me being me, I used a mash-up of rules from Dicey Tales and Everywhen - taking the parts I liked from both (easy to do with BoL engine games).

Gamboa is a 'hive of scum and villainy' so I leaned into that. Alice is probably Alison's darkest character yet - loyal to her friends and business partners and ruthless in her dealings with everyone else. She ended up working as a freelance for the crime boss of Gamboa, and as he always played straight with her she was prepared to free him from the clutches of the Yakusa in Shanghai.

As well as games on Gamboa itself Alice and her partner Archie Leech visited various islands as well as the Dutch East Indies, French Indochine, Singapore, Manila, and Shanghai; as well as Alice's hometown of Darwin, Australia.

The only totally 100% Dicey Tales games I've run were with the first edition of DT which was a supplement to the Legendary Edition of BoL. And that was a series of science fiction games in the Firefly universe!
 


My real name is Steve Hall
 

2/08/2026 11:48 am  #3


Re: Tell Me About Your Dicey Tales Games

In defence of Alison, I should point out that she doesn't usually play vicious criminals. In fact a few hours ago I ran the 32nd game of a episodic campaign we call Hollywood Pulse. It that she plays gossip columnist Judy Katz who sidelines in investigating weird stuff (i.e. monsters) in 1930s LA. Judy wouldn't hurt a fly, but she did empty a Colt .45 automatic into a revenant that was begining to rot and turn into a zombie. (It didn't work, she had to set fire to it.)


My real name is Steve Hall
 

2/08/2026 12:41 pm  #4


Re: Tell Me About Your Dicey Tales Games

Gruntfuttock wrote:

First off I must say that the Gamboa Station setting is a great piece of work. I ran a short campaign set in Asia where Alison's PC - Alice Ferguson - used Gamboa as her base. Me being me, I used a mash-up of rules from Dicey Tales and Everywhen - taking the parts I liked from both (easy to do with BoL engine games).

Gamboa is a 'hive of scum and villainy' so I leaned into that. Alice is probably Alison's darkest character yet - loyal to her friends and business partners and ruthless in her dealings with everyone else. She ended up working as a freelance for the crime boss of Gamboa, and as he always played straight with her she was prepared to free him from the clutches of the Yakusa in Shanghai.

As well as games on Gamboa itself Alice and her partner Archie Leech visited various islands as well as the Dutch East Indies, French Indochine, Singapore, Manila, and Shanghai; as well as Alice's hometown of Darwin, Australia.

The only totally 100% Dicey Tales games I've run were with the first edition of DT which was a supplement to the Legendary Edition of BoL. And that was a series of science fiction games in the Firefly universe!
 

Sounds like a lot of fun!
 


-- Paul
     •Thread Starter
 

2/08/2026 12:44 pm  #5


Re: Tell Me About Your Dicey Tales Games

Gruntfuttock wrote:

In defence of Alison, I should point out that she doesn't usually play vicious criminals. In fact a few hours ago I ran the 32nd game of a episodic campaign we call Hollywood Pulse. It that she plays gossip columnist Judy Katz who sidelines in investigating weird stuff (i.e. monsters) in 1930s LA. Judy wouldn't hurt a fly, but she did empty a Colt .45 automatic into a revenant that was begining to rot and turn into a zombie. (It didn't work, she had to set fire to it.)

That sounds like tremendous fun!

And, hey, like Alison we all play the occasional character whose ethical boundaries don't match those that work for us in the real world. 
 


-- Paul
     •Thread Starter
 

Board footera