The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



3/19/2024 7:18 pm  #21


Re: The future of BoL

@Pit Fighter
Please don't take this the wrong way, and I fully realise your question was directed to Simon, but I am interested to know if you think Mythic BoL is significantly different and/or more complex than Legendary BoL?

FWIW, I feel that the rules are very much the same, with some additional optional rules (such as mass warfare, ship combat) that can add more detail to a game, but can just as easily be ignored for a more narrative-based solution. The only thing I found a little more difficult to get used to is the new Initiative mechanic but, once I used it with my game group, I found it added significant choice for group tactics and dynamics.

One thing I like about all iterations of BoL is the ease with which you can use different components from different versions. Honor + Intrigue, for example, keeps Brawl as a separate combat stat rather than adding Initiative as a stat as this works much better for the swashbuckling rules the game adds.


Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.
 

3/20/2024 6:22 am  #22


Re: The future of BoL

The GIT! wrote:

@Pit Fighter
Please don't take this the wrong way, and I fully realise your question was directed to Simon, but I am interested to know if you think Mythic BoL is significantly different and/or more complex than Legendary BoL?

FWIW, I feel that the rules are very much the same, with some additional optional rules (such as mass warfare, ship combat) that can add more detail to a game, but can just as easily be ignored for a more narrative-based solution. The only thing I found a little more difficult to get used to is the new Initiative mechanic but, once I used it with my game group, I found it added significant choice for group tactics and dynamics.

One thing I like about all iterations of BoL is the ease with which you can use different components from different versions. Honor + Intrigue, for example, keeps Brawl as a separate combat stat rather than adding Initiative as a stat as this works much better for the swashbuckling rules the game adds.

I don't have alot of the iterations and spin offs of BoL so I can't really comment because I don't actually know (hence the question).  No offense taken and I have no issues with anyone else answering either but was specifically curious from veteran game design(er) perspective as to SImon's thoughts.   There's obviously a big difference between the original free version all the way to Everywhen/S&S and H+I in terms of complexity and systems added and I was curious as to if any of them cross firmly out of what might be considered rules light.  I've played games across the spectrum from rules light to very crunchy and appreciate the various categories for their strengths and what they offer.  About the only type of games that don't appeal to me are the very, very stripped down games that fit on 1-4 pages as well as narrative/story games that don't have a traditional structure and roles (players/gm).
 

 

3/21/2024 12:55 pm  #23


Re: The future of BoL

I understand better where your question is coming from now, and it is a good question.

From my own perspective, I would certainly say that books such as Everywhen, S&S, H+I etc etc have added extra "complexity", but I put that word in quotations for a reason; each of the rulesets are really offering toolboxes and options, which allows GMs to create a playing environment suited to their players needs. As you mentioned in your original post, the core mechanics are essentially still the same, and that means BoL is still as simple as it was in the early days.


Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.
 

6/09/2024 7:09 am  #24


Re: The future of BoL

Just doing my seasonal thread check-in to make sure I didn't miss any news.   I signed up months ago on the Ludo website (or at least I think I did as it kept switching from English to French) but haven't gotten a confirmation email or even a le peep since.

 

6/09/2024 1:53 pm  #25


Re: The future of BoL

Pit Fighter wrote:

Just doing my seasonal thread check-in to make sure I didn't miss any news.   I signed up months ago on the Ludo website (or at least I think I did as it kept switching from English to French) but haven't gotten a confirmation email or even a le peep since.

It's possible the website wasn't working properly when you signed up. They have it sorted now, so maybe try again here:
New English edition for Barbarians of Lemuria - Ludospherik Editions (ludospherik-editions.com)

In the meantime, the latest news is that they were considering various options for distribution and may go for a Kickstarter campaign, later this year. They appear to have US distribution sorted out. The book is translated and the two new adventures (from myself and Garnett) are done and layout is just about finalized.


 

     Thread Starter
 

6/10/2024 6:51 pm  #26


Re: The future of BoL

Thanks!  If they've sent out anything with news over the past 3 months or so then I definitely haven't gotten any emails.  I'll try it again then.

 

6/11/2024 9:50 am  #27


Re: The future of BoL

@SimonW - Sounds like things are moving along nicely. Do you know if they are including the GM screen and map as part of the initial translation process?


Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.
 

Today 8:52 am  #28


Re: The future of BoL

The GIT! wrote:

@SimonW - Sounds like things are moving along nicely. Do you know if they are including the GM screen and map as part of the initial translation process?

This is what Ludosphrik said to me:
"For now, the answer is no. We plan to release the rulebook, then Lemurian Chronicles, with the map and screen (if we find a reasonable solution to do it - financially, I mean), in a second time. I prefer to keep it simple for our first experience on the worldwide market (one book at a time)."

 

     Thread Starter
 

Today 11:37 am  #29


Re: The future of BoL

Hm...that's a great shame, as I feel the rulebook, map and screen could make a great combo, maybe in a nice slipcase 

Last edited by The GIT! (Today 11:37 am)


Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum