The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2024 5:50 am  #1

What IRL time period equivalent do you set your BoL games in?

Title pretty much says it all.  Do you use the typical "Ancients"/BC setting and level of tech/culture in your S&S games or something more modern like Dark Ages or even Medieval?   Or something even earlier like the Stone Age?  I'm curious what folks who have actually played have done.  I'm leaning towards an Ancients setting myself but obviously related rulesets like Honor and Intrigue have a renaissance setting more as the default.

3/15/2024 7:47 am  #2

Re: What IRL time period equivalent do you set your BoL games in?

I've run various campaigns now with BoL:  Hyborian Age, Beasts & Barbarians Dread Sea Dominions, Legends of Steel - Erisa, Warhammer Fantasy, Red Hand of Doom, Sons of Gruumsh, Freeport, Lankhmar, The Witcher, The Savage North (d101 Games), and some others.

I have a file of other possible campaigns to play too, some of them are set to go, some of them have just been started.  Here are a few:  Curse of the Crimson Throne, Legacy of the Crystal Shard, Shadowed Keep on the Borderlands, The Northlands Saga, Thunder Rift, Ravenloft, and a few others.

I also worked up some Modern era stuff using a matchup of BoL Dogs of W.A.R. and d20 Modern.  One campaign is set in the 80s and the other is modern day.  Have not played these, but maybe someday, specially the 80s period one.

BoL, with some house rules, is a very versatile system.  It can be used for probably any type of setting or time period.  

3/15/2024 7:49 am  #3

Really depends on a number of factors I guess. For classic BoL adventures set in the Lemuria setting itself, it's classic S&S with some extra BoL tech added in such as the flying ships (obviously inspired by the original Lin Carter novels).

I recently got my upgraded hardcover version of Honor+Intrigue along with the Intriguing Options book. I will be looking to run a Caribbean pirate setting based on Black Sails in the future. I have a lot of the old Wizkids pirates ships which I will be using for that game.

I really like using historical settings, such as my long running musketeers campaign (using All For One rules) but I always add twists to the setting.

I also really want to run a Traveller game using the Barbarians of the Void rules as well. So, anything goes I guess LOL 

Last edited by The GIT! (3/15/2024 7:49 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/15/2024 2:47 pm  #4

Thanks for the replies.  It looks like you both have run it in various time periods analogous to the real world.  Do you have a particular favorite whether in general or specifically for BoL?

3/15/2024 10:37 pm  #5

I never had the chance to run or play in a Heroes of Hellas game, but a Bronze Age campaign seems like a great way to use BoL. I’d jump at it given the opportunity. I would play a Hyborian game too in a heartbeat. That has quite a mix of age and tech in that setting. Normally I run BoL in Lemuria, which I adore.

3/16/2024 3:19 am  #6

roryb wrote:

I never had the chance to run or play in a Heroes of Hellas game, but a Bronze Age campaign seems like a great way to use BoL. I’d jump at it given the opportunity. I would play a Hyborian game too in a heartbeat. That has quite a mix of age and tech in that setting. Normally I run BoL in Lemuria, which I adore.

Thanks as I wasn't aware of that one.   When I mentioned an Ancients settings, I was actually thinking of a mix of bronze and iron age cultures so that might be helpful as a reference if I ever got something going!  Does it make some meaningful difference between iron and bronze mechanically in the rules?  I'm considering something like that based on critical hits/fumbles only so as not to be too onerous.

Last edited by Pit Fighter (3/16/2024 4:23 am)

3/16/2024 9:02 am  #7

Pit Fighter wrote:

Thanks as I wasn't aware of that one.   When I mentioned an Ancients settings, I was actually thinking of a mix of bronze and iron age cultures so that might be helpful as a reference if I ever got something going!  Does it make some meaningful difference between iron and bronze mechanically in the rules?  I'm considering something like that based on critical hits/fumbles only so as not to be too onerous.

To the best of my recollection, there is no difference other than flavor and being able to call your weapon a xiphos, for example. Armor is still piecemeal, as per Legendary rules. It's always on the table for a calamitous failure. Keep in mind that HoH is in the Legendary edition era. That's not really a big deal. There's a nice bestiary and gazetteer in it, and all the peoples are defined by their regional traits.

There are some other things that make it suitable for mythic adventures, specifically in Hellas:

* Kleos. A measure of renown
* Handling gods.
* Large scale battles and sailing. These are nothing new, but at the time, Legendary didn't have those sections. The sea battles section does have a little something extra there.
* Cult of Orpheus. A bardic system equivalent to sorcery with its own unique flavor
* Other character types. You can also play demigods, minotaurs, centaurs, and satyrs
* Adventures. There's a couple of ancient Greek adventures and quite a few seeds

As you can see, it's more tailored specifically for ancient Greek stories, and less a general toolkit for bronze age stuff.

3/16/2024 10:00 am  #8

Thanks and I agree from the description that it does sound tailor made for that specific setting rather than "Ancients"/Bronze age overall.

3/19/2024 8:40 am  #9

I've always wanted to run a Heroes of Hellas game as well; I do have a love for anything to do with Greek mythology. Another setting I really want to use with BoL is Legends of Steel. I love the setting and was thinking of running something akin to Game of Thrones and/or The First Law trilogy in style, and bring in the Sulanese Empire, which is only hinted at on the map of Erisa.
You can find the pdf at https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/81748/Legends-of-Steel--Barbarians-of-Lemuria-Edition and the hardcover at https://www.lulu.com/shop/jeff-mejia-and-simon-washbourne/legends-of-steel-barbarians-of-lemuria-edition/hardcover/product-6032233.html?page=1&pageSize=4.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/19/2024 3:11 pm  #10

The GIT! wrote:

Another setting I really want to use with BoL is Legends of Steel. I love the setting and was thinking of running something akin to Game of Thrones and/or The First Law trilogy in style, and bring in the Sulanese Empire, which is only hinted at on the map of Erisa.
You can find the pdf at https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/81748/Legends-of-Steel--Barbarians-of-Lemuria-Edition and the hardcover at https://www.lulu.com/shop/jeff-mejia-and-simon-washbourne/legends-of-steel-barbarians-of-lemuria-edition/hardcover/product-6032233.html?page=1&pageSize=4.

I'd play in that!

Board footera