The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2024 10:01 am  #11

Re: If you aren't playing BoL....

Most definitely and thanks!   I've got a few months to work on my own tweaks in the meantime as well as a couple of non-D&D figs.

2/20/2024 1:24 pm  #12

I'm not presently playing BoL because there aren't enough days in the week to fit it in. I'm presently in two regular gaming groups. The one group meets two weeks in four and is presently being GM'd by another player, and he wanted to run some Deadlands, so that's what we are playing.

My other group meets every Sunday. We alternate Sundays between Roll20 and in-person. The in-person game is presently run by me, and I am running my All For One campaign that began in 2012. We took time out because of COVID but, other than that, the campaign has been running consistently since 2012.

On Roll20 we just finished playing D&D 5e which was GM'd by an old schoolmate of mine who lives in the UK (I and the rest of my gaming buddies live in Canada). I will be looking to run something Cthulhu related on Roll20, so BoL may have to wait a little longer before I use it again, but it will get used.

Last edited by The GIT! (2/20/2024 1:24 pm)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

2/21/2024 2:49 am  #13

The GIT! wrote:

I will be looking to run something Cthulhu related on Roll20, so BoL may have to wait a little longer before I use it again, but it will get used.

Black Books: Tomes of the Outer Dark wouldn't be a bad choice. I no longer own it - it's now published by Wood Planet Gaming Lodge.

Last edited by SimonW (2/21/2024 2:50 am)

2/23/2024 8:38 am  #14

And these are the strengths of the system. My BoL/Everywhen game is a:
BoL
RuneQuest
Palladium Fantasy
Stormbringer
-game with creatures from traditional D&D and folklore from around the world, old Harryhausen movies and a few cheesy S&S movies from the 80s (looking at you, DeathStalker 1&2).

The open mindedness of the system allows one to blend and mould the rules and setting as much as one wants to without a lot of fiddling or the class mentality of many games.

I am the one who writes ​https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/ for the OSR, yet BoL and Everywhen are pretty cool too.

2/25/2024 6:11 am  #15

I'm not running BoL... yet - but it's next. Right now, I'm running a Classic Traveller Spinward Marches campaign using Fate, that'll probably run another two-three years, at least; and Greyhawk, also using Fate, but that's wrapping up in just a few months. BoL was the near-unanimous choice for its replacement.

2/27/2024 11:30 am  #16

StMichael wrote:

...Right now, I'm running a Classic Traveller Spinward Marches campaign using Fate...

Barbarians of the Void is an excellent option for running Classic Traveller games.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

2/27/2024 11:30 am  #17

SimonW wrote:

The GIT! wrote:

I will be looking to run something Cthulhu related on Roll20, so BoL may have to wait a little longer before I use it again, but it will get used.

Black Books: Tomes of the Outer Dark wouldn't be a bad choice. I no longer own it - it's now published by Wood Planet Gaming Lodge.

Thanks for the advice Simon.

2/29/2024 9:23 am  #18

Warlord of Lemuria wrote:

And these are the strengths of the system. My BoL/Everywhen game is a:
BoL
RuneQuest
Palladium Fantasy
Stormbringer
-game with creatures from traditional D&D and folklore from around the world, old Harryhausen movies and a few cheesy S&S movies from the 80s (looking at you, DeathStalker 1&2).

This combination sounds 110% awesome, what an inspiring post!

2/29/2024 9:33 am  #19

Currently running OD&D/Swords & Wizardry in the Wilderlands of High Fantasy for my home group.  One reason I'm not running BoL Wilderlands is that I've found it very difficult to scale BoL for larger groups (I have 5 players), specifically presenting appropriately challenging combat encounters -- this is not to say that it can't be done, as I'm sure it can, but I'm just not there yet.  (This was a struggle in my BoL-powered Fading Suns game as well, exacerbated by some in-progress houserules for energy shields.) The other reason is that when it comes to fantasy, my players all know and love D&D -- in some cases, it's all they know -- and have a harder time getting into alternatives.  

Last edited by gnombient (2/29/2024 9:33 am)

2/29/2024 9:47 am  #20

The GIT! wrote:

StMichael wrote:

...Right now, I'm running a Classic Traveller Spinward Marches campaign using Fate...

Barbarians of the Void is an excellent option for running Classic Traveller games.

BotV is indeed a fantastic rules substitute for CT games!  I've had some great sessions running 76 Patrons adventures with BotV, we appreciated characters having more breadth of skill and being a little hardier and more "heroic" than their CT counterparts.

Last edited by gnombient (2/29/2024 9:50 am)

Board footera