The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2024 2:42 am  #1

If you aren't playing BoL....

a) Why not?
b) What are you playing?

2/18/2024 2:54 am  #2

Re: If you aren't playing BoL....

I've not played anything but BoL or Everywhen (or a mash-up of the two) for many years now. It hits the sweet spot of pulpy fun that makes the games seem like a good film or expensive tv series (which is how I envision games when I write them). It is also surprisingly easy to dial up and down the level of pulpyness by fiddling with character generation, supply of boons and flaws, and the number of hero points available.

Since the start of the year we have played 17th century swashbuckling, occult investigation in 1937 LA, and mesoamerican sword & sorcery. Planned, is more swashbuckling in 1630s France (run by me) and a return to 1920s spy action (run by my wife Alison). Sometime this year I'd like to squeeze in a return to Ray Harryhausen-themed S&S Atlantis and perhaps some science fiction gaming. 

Please tell us what you are up to, everyone.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (2/18/2024 2:55 am)

My real name is Steve Hall

2/18/2024 4:24 am  #3

I noticed, I didn't say what I'm playing (running) at the moment. Not got a massive amount of gaming in lately due to illness in family, but managed to playtest my adventure for the upcoming new edition of BoL from Ludospherik.

I also ran a game of non-BoL a few weeks ago. I call it Kids 'n' Quests  - it's inspired in the main by The Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner. It was a lot of fun and my players are desperate for me to run it again. Anyone who wants to see it - PM me with your email.

2/18/2024 8:46 am  #4

My wife and I have been using BoL pretty exclusively since 2014 when we switched our "Hammer of Æs" Hyborian Age campaign from the Mongoose d20 system to the BoL Legendary system, then later Mythic.  We have used it to run numerous campaigns:  Warhammer, Jalizar (from Savage Worlds Beasts and Barbarians), Legends of Steel, Freeport (Green Ronin's campaign), The Red Hand of Doom (D&D), and several others.  (Heck I have a file of campaigns that I want to play, just don't have time:  Hellfrost, The World of Xoth, some Modern era Spy/Spec Ops stuff, Lemuria, The Northlands Saga, and others...)

I have also used it to run a handful of Hyborian Ag adventures for my wife and two friends, a Freeport campaign for my wife and friend (it did not last long though ) and the Sons of Gruumsh adventure for my wife and a friend too.  That one was a blast!

We sometimes switch over to The Fantasy Trip "In the Labyrinth" from time to time for a change now and then.  But always find ourselves back to BoL.

Last two nights we returned to our "Hammer of Æs" campaign, I ran the "Hunting the Falcon" adventure from Mongoose's S&P series.  When I was converting it, I wasn't really "feeling it", but it played out REALLY good, my wife loved the adventure!  I'm looking for an urban adventure to adapt since our PCs are planning on staying in Messantia for a bit (they got a pouch of silver to spend after all...)

We LOVE BoL (I have almost every supplemental product for it too, but really BoL Mythic with some house rules is what we use... it just works!)

SimonW = a big THANK YOU from my wife and I 

2/18/2024 9:15 am  #5

Just discovered it but unfortunately no one locally that I've talked to has expressed an interest in trying it and I haven't seen any online groups recruiting either.   Most recently I tried Symbaroum and prior to that it was Alien RPG and D&D5e most recently.

2/19/2024 7:32 am  #6

Pit Fighter, I can loan you some players, I get more than I could ever need. Bars, coffee houses, libraries, all are full of potential players.

I am the one who writes ​https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/ for the OSR, yet BoL and Everywhen are pretty cool too.

2/19/2024 2:39 pm  #7

Barbarians of Lemuria still ranks on my most oft played game among a smattering of a few other mostly-indie games. Jaws of the Six Serpents still ranks even in my book against BoL, but it's even harder to find players for, so I am more than delighted to keep playing Barbarians until the sun sets over the western sea.

2/19/2024 6:05 pm  #8

I am fairly new to BoL but the more I read the more I love it. I am going to try to switch my current game over when I can. I have some new players so they don’t really know one system from the other. I am using Deathbringer rules, which aren’t too far from the BoL Hack rules. I wish I had discovered it sooner. My return to the hobby came with a group doing everything I disliked. DnD 3. and 3.5 with a DM constantly looking up rules and players that have to multiclass to eke out any possible bonuses and rules lawyering etc. The only other people I know of only play 5.0. It’s a struggle. I only ever play in person. I’ve never tried an online platform. I don’t know if I would want to.

2/19/2024 7:49 pm  #9

Warlord of Lemuria wrote:

Pit Fighter, I can loan you some players, I get more than I could ever need. Bars, coffee houses, libraries, all are full of potential players.

Thanks.  I think my first attempt at running a local game will be on free RPG day.   I'm hoping to post that I'm running an open session no experience required.

2/19/2024 11:46 pm  #10

Please let us know how it goes!

My real name is Steve Hall

Board footera