The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2024 2:57 am  #21

Re: Barbarians of Legend (BoL)

STEVE: Re: Crossbow - the listed weapons are examples only. You can include whatever you like in the various categories really. For example, I'd let someone have say, a boomerang and call it a light throwing weapon, or a spear that could be used one or two handed (medium-heavy).

On swords and flails and everything else weapon related: Yes, you can find examples of every size and shape of sword, flail, spear...made with all sorts of materials...wood, stone, bronze, iron, steel etc. "Small sword" isn't meant to be a specific type of sword, just one that isn't as big (or as well made) as the next size up. Maybe it could just be called "cheap" sword or "wooden sword". Where does a big knife end and a small sword begin? It doesn't really matter. And flails can be used one or two handed - however, there are also flails that are designed purely for one-handed use. Just like slings/staff slings. Perhaps I'd be better off not putting in examples (I can't fit everything in - there are hundreds of different swords alone!) and leave it completely up to the GM?

Thanks for looking everyone!

2/06/2024 4:18 am  #22

On Special Abilities:
I can see that some would be useful to be used more than once, you could set a limit on it I suppose – only 3 times in any one game – or maybe make them powered by Hero Points. Some seem things that are logically part of the PCs make up, so why not have them available all the time? I can see both Robert’s and Simon’s point here. The only one that strikes me as best used only once is ‘Berserk’. The Norse sagas (the original source material!) suggest that the state was something you deliberately worked up to, or else that struck in the heat of battle. It also left the berserker drained. Seems like a one use ability to me.

The penalty die for Hunter’s Mark relates, I assume, to penalties for range/low light and similar. Therefore the ability aids the archer in bringing off the perfect impossible shot.

I can see the point of warrior abilities being restricted. It fits in with the ‘Martial’ and ‘Non-Martial’ careers in the Codex, which I approve of.

Simon, I take your point about the weapons only being examples. I did like it that BoL lumped all swords together, but I guess such a short ruleset will be house ruled by GMs anyway. But perhaps a short explanation might be in order, Obviously my idea for a quick explanation might be where I’m coming from in my comment about not getting fixated on 6 pages if 7 might make things clearer. A lot could be covered by a short sentence or two at the start of the document – but you know how to write rules better than I do!

I suppose the need for explanation or not depends on who this ruleset is aimed at. Experienced old hands I guess, rather than newbies or as a gateway to full fat BoL.

Overall, I’m loving what I’m seeing – I think this has legs! Could you send me the latest draft please? I’ll use it for my next playtest game, later this week.

My real name is Steve Hall

2/06/2024 6:12 am  #23

I agree that restrictions on abilities (x times per....) seems a bit odd. . However, I sometimes restrict them for no other reason than for the purposes of the game. If a character in a book or film kept doing the same thing all the time, I'd get pretty bored of it. Same for rpgs. That's the sole reason.

2/06/2024 10:01 am  #24

Yep, your reasoning makes sense. I'm just looking at it more from a balance perspective I guess.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

2/06/2024 6:46 pm  #25

I like what you have so far! Less is more in most cases. Look forward to how this comes out!

SimonW wrote:

I'm working on a ruleset that takes BoL out of the Lemurian setting and simplifies it even more as follows:

There are only three attributes (Strength, Agility & Wits).
There are three combat abilities (close, ranged and defence).
Careers have no ranks. You simply get a bonus die if you have the career for the task (this includes "warrior" careers). You only get three careers (instead of four). I may even reduce this to two.
Every career gives one unique special ability along with the normal things that having that career covers.
Priority goes back to the legendary edition style (roll d6 + wits).
There are hero points, but no crafting points, fate points or arcane power. Those abilities do not rely on point expenditure.
There are no boons & flaws.
Other changes are being made. Hoping to keep the document to less than 6 pages to keep it "bare-bones".

2/07/2024 11:46 pm  #26

A thought occurs....I like Simon's Crimson Blades but I don't do D&D. Perhaps running CB with BoL Legend might work????

(I'm hoping to run another playtest game set in Lankmar, later today.) 

2/08/2024 12:43 pm  #27

I love Crimson Blades but, call me weird, my group and I actually use the now out-of-print d20 version for our Thieves' World game. I love the d6 version as well (I did spend some time discussing the game design with Simon) but my group likes polyhedral dice at the table for anything remotely D&D. The strange thing is they really love Barbarians of Lemuria and other d6 games; polyhedral dice just give that real OSR authenticity vibe 

Last edited by The GIT! (2/08/2024 12:43 pm)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

2/08/2024 12:59 pm  #28

Also, don't forget Simon's The BoL Hack as well - that's pretty well thought out.

2/09/2024 6:00 am  #29

Sadly we didn't find time to try out the rules yesterday with a city based game. Next week in mostly taken up by a visiting aged aunt (yes, older than even me), and tomorrow we are down to play Alison's next Hollywood Pulse game. So there may be a delay, but hopefully we might squeeze in the city game at the end of next week - we'll see.

2/18/2024 2:42 am  #30

Well, I didn't manage to get my city based playtest organised before the arrival of an aged aunt (84!) who came to stay with us for a few days. However, I might possibly be able to squeeze it in this week.

Board footera