The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2014 9:32 am  #11

Re: Alternative to Lifeblood

Advantage is adding rather than replacing. Also whilst good for S&S / swashbuckling,  it's not so good for fire fights.

3/17/2014 12:39 pm  #12

Murgh Bpurn wrote:

Advantage is adding rather than replacing. Also whilst good for S&S / swashbuckling, it's not so good for fire fights.

Understood. The initial post talked about the damage that melee weapons deal so I didn't think you were concentrating on firearms (I missed the post about Dogs of W*A*R).

I still don't like the idea of bringing a death spiral in to a BoL based game. Personally, if I wanted to make the game grittier, I just wouldn't allow the use of Hero Points to shake off wounds or defy death. While the characters may not suffer penalties due to damage sustained, they will give serious thought to taking any kind of damage knowing that it can't be easily ignored. You could take it a step further and not allow lifeblood to be recovered immediately after a battle either. All nasty stuff without the need for a death spiral.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/18/2014 12:58 pm  #13

Your initial post spoke of melee weapons, not firearms, so the rest of us thought you were using this in a traditional S&S game. As I said, this would be cool for a gritty DoW which is what your using it for so we agree. As for other systems , I play BoL because Simon has captured the feel of the genre perfectly while other systems, good in their own ways, have not. My post was not to belittle your idea but rather bring genre feel into the rules discussion. Something which is unfortunately often left out.

Coins, cleavage, and carnage...the three C's of Swords & Sorcery.

3/18/2014 1:08 pm  #14

Yeah, sorry for muddying the waters! I gave the example with melee weapons as they are consistent over all the different settings.

My friend and I are just not happy with a system that has you acting perfectly normally up to the point where you drop unconscious...

3/20/2014 8:51 am  #15

Murgh Bpurn wrote:

My friend and I are just not happy with a system that has you acting perfectly normally up to the point where you drop unconscious...

The other option is to bring in a simple hit location system and, based on damage sustained, inflict penalties and detriments according to the location hit.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/20/2014 8:59 am  #16

if you want to reduce your performance, you can keep the Lifelood mechanic, but add a -1 when you ahve lost 25% of health or more, -2 when you ahve lost 50% or more and simply take a penalty die (buyt with no penalties) when you have lost 75% or more damage over your base health. it is a fairly standard system and easy to implement without breaking anything or require bookkeeping.

However, take in mind that BoL is about heroes doing heroic stuff, not weaklings that suffer penalties when they are hit by the claw of a jungle beast or similar

3/20/2014 9:33 am  #17

Xavi, I like the system, a lot. And I want to use that system for other non heroic settings....

3/20/2014 11:48 am  #18

OK, I offered a damage mechanism there for those weaklings there precisely for that case ;) You have plenty of options available already there.

Cheers,
Xavi

3/20/2014 4:52 pm  #19

I'm not sure what options i have 'alreday', please expand.

3/20/2014 4:52 pm  #20

*available already

Board footera