The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2023 2:58 pm  #1

Question for you guys - using a d20 & BoL for a BoL Fantasty Campaign

I have been thinking about using a d20 for a BoL Fantasy Campaign (Wanting to run the Legacy of the Crystal Shard and some other adventures for my wife and I).   My target number would be 12.  A boon would allow one to roll two d20s and keep the high, a flaw would be roll two d20s and keep the low.  Weapons would be Light d4, Med d6, Heavy d8 - a magic weapon would be 2d# and keep the high.  Plus some other stuff...

The thing that I am having an issue with is should the Target modifiers still be:  Hard -1, Tough -2, Demanding -4, Formidable -6, and Heroic -8.  OR 

Should they be bumped up to:  Hard -2, Tough -4, Demanding -8, Formidable -12, and Heroic -16?

If I was to use a 2d10 instead of 2d6 (something that I might still do), I would make the Target Number 13, and would still have Hard -1, Tough -2, Demanding -4, Formidable -6, and Heroic -8.  

With the less "curved" d20, I am thinking that the increased modifiers make more sense.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

5/23/2023 10:24 am  #2

Re: Question for you guys - using a d20 & BoL for a BoL Fantasty Campaign

Have you considered using Simon's BoL Hack RPG. It hacks d20 with BoL and may actually be worth your time perusing.

You can get it on DriveThru at https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/186057/The-BoL-Hack? and it's pretty damn cheap as well.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

5/23/2023 11:55 am  #3

The GIT! wrote:

Have you considered using Simon's BoL Hack RPG. It hacks d20 with BoL and may actually be worth your time perusing.

I do have it, but it strays a bit away more from the mechanics of BoL than I want to for my game.

My quandary really is how to raise the target modifier levels using the strait line d20 die.    I think the Target Number @ 12 and Hard -2, Tough -4, Demanding -8, Formidable -12, and Heroic -16 is the way to go.  I guess some playtesting is in order.

Last edited by Sigulf (5/23/2023 11:56 am)

5/30/2023 8:12 am  #4

I'm not ignoring your post; I've just been cogitating over it for a few days. The thing I'm struggling with is whether doubling the mods is really the way to go or not. The original mods are for the 2d6 (or possibly 2d10) dice mechanics, each of which gives a bell curve for results. Also, with 2d6 and a target of 9, the base chance of success is approx 28% while a target number of 12 on 1d20 is 45%. Maybe shift the target number up to 15 (30% base success) and then tweak the mods a bit. Something like Hard -2, Touch -4, Demanding -6, Formidable -8, and Heroic -10?

I'm not saying I'm right, but I do think such large mods as -12 and -16 just make players feel "why bother?" It's the psychology of the numbers as much as anything.

Last edited by The GIT! (6/02/2023 11:02 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

6/02/2023 5:50 am  #5

Thanks for the post.  (Just got back in town).  Still trying to decide which way to go, but I did order a bunch of 2d10s and bought some d8s and d4s at a gaming store in Columbus OH (weapons will be d4, d6, and d8).  

Board footera