The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/06/2021 5:40 am  #1

Resolve Damage Question

I find the Resolve damage system neat and potentially useful for settings where horror and humanity is a key element.

While I understand that taking maximum Resolve damage (base plus all Critical boxes) would result in the character falling into a catatonic state, I'm unclear what would happen when a character has no clear boxes on the Resolve track (with Critical boxes untouched) and I don't know if I missed something somewhere in the rule book. Would the character go unconscious like with Lifeblood damage, or would something else happened? The former is fine, but fainting from surprise or horror would be anti-climactic for pulp protagonists.

I have been toying with the idea of characters loosing control when that happens. Basically they temporarily become NPCs while in a state of panic, confusion, berserk rage, fugue state, temporary insanity, etc., until they can come to grips with themselves.

9/06/2021 10:04 am  #2

Re: Resolve Damage Question

Well, really this is a bit of a moveable feast - essentially it's down to you.

Falling unconcious does have a history - Harker in Dracula. However, for a pulp game you need something a bit more 'pulpy'. It's actually never happened to any PCs in my game, but my feeling is applying a penalty die to all rolls is suitable. Therefore PCs keep agency, but panic is represented. 

My real name is Steve Hall

9/06/2021 11:15 pm  #3

Re: Resolve Damage Question

Thanks.

Board footera