The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2020 12:01 pm  #141

Re: What RPG(s) are you playing/running/planning?

My wife's character is Nissa Al-Nazari, a Shemite female Nomad 2, Thief 2, Merc 0, & Assassin 1
My character is Sigulf  from Asgard, Barbarian 2, Merc 1, Thief 1, & Pirate 1.

One of the things my wife loves about her character is that she has a Desert Warhorse named Yoserian - after the horse that she had as a girl, the horse has had some very important plot lines in the different stories (its been stolen, its saved her character, etc..)

Like I posted earlier, we had started this as a d20 Mongoose Conan Campaign and when I learned about the Barbarians of Lemuria rules we converted over.  We actually played several adventures twice, using d20 Conan and BoL rules each time.  It was an interesting experience.  My wife LOVED the BoL rules, we originally used Legendary and now Mythic - with house rules of course (like most everyone I imagine).

I have lots of different Hyborian Age adventures from all sorts of gaming systems etc... it is really my favorite setting (big Conan fan, read almost all of the paperbacks and have the full collection of Savage Sword  of Conan from Dark Horse).

My wife read the REH Conan stories too, she likes the setting a lot, even though when we played other RPGs she usually tends to like Sorceresses. 

Heck, our characters have even met King Conan once during their adventuring days.   I am hoping that the characters will make their way back to Aquilonia so that I can run the Trial of Blood Adventure.  For now, they are going to be in Hyrkania for a few more sessions.

Last edited by Sigulf (4/12/2020 12:03 pm)

4/12/2020 1:27 pm  #142

It sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing, it sounds like a really fun campaign and a nice set-up with her being the lead character, but you being able to play as well!

4/12/2020 1:28 pm  #143

Hear, year! Any discussion of your BoL/Hyborian gaming goodness will be an Easter treat.

Edit: Ah! I see you did. Always wanted to play a Hyborian game using BoL.

Last edited by roryb (4/12/2020 1:31 pm)

4/12/2020 2:48 pm  #144

Sigulf wrote:

My wife's character is Nissa Al-Nazari, a Shemite female Nomad 2, Thief 2, Merc 0, & Assassin 1
My character is Sigulf  from Asgard, Barbarian 2, Merc 1, Thief 1, & Pirate 1.

One of the things my wife loves about her character is that she has a Desert Warhorse named Yoserian - after the horse that she had as a girl, the horse has had some very important plot lines in the different stories (its been stolen, its saved her character, etc..)

Like I posted earlier, we had started this as a d20 Mongoose Conan Campaign and when I learned about the Barbarians of Lemuria rules we converted over.  We actually played several adventures twice, using d20 Conan and BoL rules each time.  It was an interesting experience.  My wife LOVED the BoL rules, we originally used Legendary and now Mythic - with house rules of course (like most everyone I imagine).

I have lots of different Hyborian Age adventures from all sorts of gaming systems etc... it is really my favorite setting (big Conan fan, read almost all of the paperbacks and have the full collection of Savage Sword  of Conan from Dark Horse).

My wife read the REH Conan stories too, she likes the setting a lot, even though when we played other RPGs she usually tends to like Sorceresses. 

Heck, our characters have even met King Conan once during their adventuring days.   I am hoping that the characters will make their way back to Aquilonia so that I can run the Trial of Blood Adventure.  For now, they are going to be in Hyrkania for a few more sessions.

I don't know if you've posted this elsewhere but how do you go about converting the adventures from d20 Conan, or other game systems for that matter, to BoL?

Where's my axe?

4/12/2020 3:54 pm  #145

"I don't know if you've posted this elsewhere but how do you go about converting the adventures from d20 Conan, or other game systems for that matter, to BoL?"

No real short cut, I just convert stuff over.  Instead of a Spot DC 20 check, I make it a Perception task roll @ 10 "Hard"  or a Climb DC 15 check would be a Climb task roll @ 9 "moderate"

From the d20 Conan RPG book starting on page 352, I just converted the different types of NPCs and have them on a file:  Belit's Black Corsairs, Savage Cannibals, Picts on a Warpath, etc....  My Rabbles/Goons all get 1 Attribute Point, 1 Combat Point, and 1 Carrer Points,  Lifeblood is 3+ Str

My Toughs all get either 2 points for Attribute, Combat, and Career plus 5+Str Lifeblood and usually get a Boon or they get 3 points for Attribute, Combat, and Career plus 7+Str Lifeblood and usually get 2 Boons & 1 Flaw

Villains are the same as Heroes with Villain Points instead of Hero Points.

Animals and Monsters = I have a huge list of them, taken from different BoL sources.

Its really easy to convert stuff to Barbarians of Lemuria, one of the reasons why its my go to game system.  I've converted many different d20 Conan adventures:  The God in the Bowl, The Lurking Terror of Nahab, Vengeance of the Golden Skull from the Messantia Box set, Wine of the Gods from Signs & Portents, and several of the adventures from the Spider-God's Bride from Xoth Publishing to name a few.

This afternoon, I just converted an old D&D 3.0 adventure - Base of Operations, I turned it into a rescue a High Priests maiden from a bandit outpost, with the bandits being led by an evil Hyrkanian Sorcerer/Priest.
Orcs = became Hyrkanian bandits, a Troll became a large Kushite Barbarian, a Winter Wolf became a large Mastiff.  Zombies & Skeletons = Hyborian Age Risen Dead.  It took me about 3 hours to convert the adventure, its ready - we will be running it in the next couple of days.

I have converted lots of adventures in the past, and really - Barbarians of Lemuria lends itself to converting anything.  I even converted the D&D 3.5 Red Hand of Doom to BoL = it was probably my favorite conversion, even though its D&D, I loved that adventure.    I have been able to convert some Savage Worlds Beasts and Barbarians and Lankhmar adventures too - these really work well with BoL.

My advice, pick a short low level adventure and just start working you way through it. 
Good luck and have fun.

The adventures from Xoth publishing are really great to convert over to BoL.

Last edited by Sigulf (4/12/2020 4:01 pm)

4/12/2020 6:08 pm  #146

Thanks!

Where's my axe?

4/13/2020 1:48 am  #147

I was busy running a BoL Swashbuckling game yesterday, so I missed Sigulf's post and the posts flowing from it. Good stuff Sigulf! The 1GM - 1Player games I run for my wife really show that BoL & EW are great systems for these 1+1 games. I think a single PC plus ally is a particularly good arrangement for Sword & Sorcery gaming. And as Sigulf pointed out, converting stuff to a BoL system is a snap. I loved his orcs = brigands conversion - perfect!

My real name is Steve Hall

4/13/2020 5:27 am  #148

Is the Honor and Intrigue game?  The Swashbuckling genre sounds pretty fun, I was also looking at doing a Dark Ages genre, any suggestions on where to get some possible source material for the era that might be generic?

4/13/2020 9:51 am  #149

Not H+I but an Everywhen game. I think H+I is a great game, but it's just a bit too crunchy for me. So I developed an expansion  of some duelling rules written by Garnett Elliott, which do the job nicely to my tastes. Garnett's rules were based on an idea of 'Edge' in a fight by Phil Garrad - so it's really a work of many hands. (Someone pointed out on MeWe that you could use the H+I advantage system but drop the duelling schools to make a simpler H+I, but I system I use is nicely integrated to the EW rules, so it works for me.)

For my Princess Clodagh games set in 11th Century my main influences were Robert E Howard's short story Spears of Clontarf and also his 16th Century set story Swordswoman. I'm more interested in having a game set in a more pulp fiction/Hollywood version of history, rather than something slavishly following real history. I ran a series of games set in Ancient Egypt which I described as 30% pulp fiction, 30% Hollywood Egypt, 30% real history and 10% Lovecraftian horror. That works for me. If you get one good general history on the period or culture and mine that for real world detail, it should be enough. If there is a Osprey book covering the warriors of the era, that might help as well.

What Dark Age era or culture are you interested in?  

My real name is Steve Hall

4/13/2020 10:09 am  #150

Sounds fun!  Something that covers medieval Europe.  It doesn't have to be historical, but more historical fiction with the same sword and sorcery genre that would include sorcerers and dragons.  I thinking like a setting like Dragonheart or even Jirel of Joiry!  I was thinking of a wandering Knight Templar as a possible character.

Board footera