The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2019 2:59 pm  #121

Re: What RPG(s) are you playing/running/planning?

I've been watching The Mandalorian.  I really want to run a game of WEG Star Wars for the boys.  Or, perhaps, cooks something up with Everywhen but WEG SW is ready to go.

Where's my axe?

12/28/2019 4:22 pm  #122

I hope to read more of Treville's exploits, or whatever else you cook up with your wife.

I had a couple sessions before the holidays with some good people after a year and a half hiatus. That, I think, will resume. Traditional BoL stuff...they're now on the run, and it's a convenient break, so I'm free to throw whatever at them.

I'm also doing some solo gaming with the Mythic GM Emulator with BoL. I'm inspired by all the Emmanuel Roudier art that was produced for the French version, especially the cover of the upcoming Le Dieu Voilé. I'm going to use that cover as a sort of filter for the random prompts I'll get with my oracle to generate scenes and plot points.

2/03/2020 7:21 am  #123

I’m currently running 1 GM – 1 Player games for my wife Alison, which are some of the best games I’ve ever run in many years of roleplaying. The Princess Clodagh BoL games are set in early 11th century Ireland, and aim to be like REH’s historical stories, but with a low key fantasy ‘secret history’. The Elodie Treville EW games are set in late 1620s France, where Elodie works as a spy for the Cardinal, swashbuckling her way through straight historical games.

Both of these series of games will continue, but I like variety. Therefore, I’m looking at some new stories to run, with new settings.

I’m working on an Everywhen game in the Savage Worlds Tropicana setting, but dialled back to the 1980s rather than set in the present day. The games will be set in a tiny corrupt but wealthy Coastal South American country, which despite its high crime rate has become a holiday paradise for the rich and foolish.  Alison’s character will be working for a detective and security agency run by an ex-FBI agent, who hires out of work or retired detectives, intelligence agents, mercenaries – and even more dubious people – to iron out problems for those who need help in paradise.

A setting I intend to run with BoL is a broad brush setting from Finn Cullen – the desert land of Chaha Ris. (You may remember that Finn Cullen shared a few non-Lemurian scenarios he wrote for BoL a while back.)

Finn has developed this for his own games and posted the results for anyone to see and pillage. It appeals to me because I like setting with plenty of ‘open space’ I can put my own stuff in. Also it has a real pseudo-Bronze Age feel, which is my kind of thing. A harsh land with desert dwelling nomad tribes, hardy farming communities along the two rivers that flow to the sea, and two large cities on the coast who trade with the rest of the world.

One city is larger, more welcoming to foreigners, and ruled by a King who lives his life devoted to pleasure and dissipation. (This is the obvious place to start off visitors to Chaha Ris, and I get a feel of Babylon – both in real life and in myth – about this place. Decadent, dissolute and wealthy – with a jolly, laughing, sometimes callous and cruel population).

The second, less wealthy trading city is rules by an ageless Queen, supernaturally young, who rules with a rod of iron. Foreigners are tightly controlled and are only permitted to reside in the Strangers Quarter. Sorcery and human sacrifice is the rumoured pursuits of the court, and the population are weary of outsiders – but there is money to be made here. (This feels like Howard’s Stygia and Old Kingdom Egypt under one of its more repressive rulers – conservative and authoritarian.)

If you are interested you can find Finn’s Chaha Ris homepage here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/chaha-ris-finncullen

A view of the wider world of which Chaha Ris is a part can be found here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/beyond-the-circle-finncullen

Mr Cullen included a two page concise view of the Chaha Ris setting in the free to download 9 page pdf of his homebrewed system SAGA. The setting info is on pages 7 & 8. You can access the pdf here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RdjACE-DwPWTUR2t6qysTCIDFBRSFBC0/view

SAGA is a very simple system (dare I use the word Narrativist) with a single resolution system. However, if you are into this sort of thing you may like it – I found it an interesting 6 page read. You may recognise parts of it.

As Finn his self says of SAGA: “The player-facing resolution system and tiered levels of success can cover most situations and the abandonment of a complex skill system for a simple Concept based bonus seems to work well in practice…. I make no claims for the originality of each component, but it is a workable blend that does what it is supposed to.”

Finn also wrote a story about the world of Chaha Ris, ‘Beyond the White Hand’, which the curious can find here:

https://finncullen.co.uk/2019/09/25/beyond-the-white-hand/

I enjoyed this as well.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (2/03/2020 7:24 am)

My real name is Steve Hall

3/23/2020 9:15 am  #124

Hi all,
Somewhat new to the forum.  I had read about the Mythic Game Master Emulator, so I decided to try it with Barbarians of Lemuria, and I have been playing a solo campaign without a GM.  It has been quite an interesting experience!  Since Barbarians of Lemuria is such a rules-lite game it has worked quite well with the system.  For those who are not familiar with the system, it uses a series of asking yes or no questions, with other random elements to create random events.  I know I'm not doing it any justice in explaining, but I have enjoyed the experience, and actually played two adventures and I'm now in my third one.  What it might lack in actually role-playing since you are playing solo, the random element keeps it surprisingly interesting and allows you to use your imagination based upon the logic of the scenes to create some good storytelling.  My story is based on the genre of the Swords and Sorcery setting with my PC being a "Beast-Friend" named Oslac, who has powers to control animals and resides in the Axos Mountains.  He travels with his dire wolf companion named Wulf (real clever, I know) and has had some interesting adventures.  
         In the first adventure called the Valgardian Blades, he stops a trade between a Desert Warlord and a Valgardian warrior.  Capturing the Desert Warlord's sorcerer, he discovers she has lost her memory after the battle.  Leaving her with his Winged Man ally, Laaric the Lookout, he hunts down the Valgardian warriors.  However, Laaric's family has been tortured by the sorcerer in the past, and he takes the advantage to kill her.  Regretting his action, he flees leaving her body.  After Oslac resolves the conflict between the Desert Warlord and the Valgardian warrior by capturing them both, he discovers the actions of his friend and decides to hunt him down. 
       This leads to the second adventure, the Attack of the Winged Men, where the trail leads to an attack of Winged Men on Axos Mountain Barbarians.  Oslac quickly jumps into the action and drives the Winged Man away.  He joins forces with the Tribal Chieftain's daughter, who wants to hunt the Winged Men down since they have captured her father and some of her brothers.  After twists and turns in which allies become enemies, and enemies become allies, Oslac is banished from the Axos Mountains by both the Axos Mountain Barbarians and the Winged Men.  Having forgiven his previous action, his Winged Man ally, Laaric joins him on his quest as he leaves the Axos Mountains.  
      The third adventure, A Twist of Fate, starts with Oslac and Laaric traveling to the Tower of Jesharek to have the wizard identify a magical item that they have discovered amongst the slain sorcerer's possessions.  The old wizard refuses unless the duo performs the task of stealing three strands of hair from the Witch Queen at her Fortress.  They board a pirate ship the Devil's Sun for passage to the Fortress, unaware that voyage is soon to be interrupted by a planned mutiny of the crew against the pirate captain, the famed Lady Corsair, who has taken a special interest in Oslac.  
          That's all I have to share for now, but it has been really fun to play.  This system can be played with more than one player, without a GM, and hoping maybe to do that somewhere down the road.  I originally started by playing the Icons Assembled game but found the random nature of S&S to work easier. Since the superhero genre is my favorite, I have given up on that idea, yet!  

3/23/2020 9:35 am  #125

"The old wizard refuses unless the duo performs the task of stealing three strands of hair from the Witch Queen at her Fortress."

BLOODY HELL!!!!

I wouldn't touch that job with a ten foot pole! 

Nice write up - please keep us posted on Oslac's further adventures.

My real name is Steve Hall

3/23/2020 10:10 am  #126

Awesome! Keep up the adventures! I do a fair bit of solo gaming too. I’d have to say BoL is one of the best to pair with MGME. Got a game cooking currently too.

Love it!

3/23/2020 11:50 am  #127

Gruntfuttock wrote:

"The old wizard refuses unless the duo performs the task of stealing three strands of hair from the Witch Queen at her Fortress."

BLOODY HELL!!!!

I wouldn't touch that job with a ten foot pole! 

Nice write up - please keep us posted on Oslac's further adventures.

Nope.  No way.  Me neither!!!  

Where's my axe?

3/23/2020 2:00 pm  #128

Update on Oslac the Beast-Friend:

With Lady Corsair so wrapped up in winning the affections of Oslac, her crew begins to mutiny when she neglects her responsibilities.  Rescuing her, Oslac and Laaric flee into the jungle, where they are ambushed by pursuing pirates.  However, Oslac summons a Dracophon to assist in their escape.  The party arrive at the city of Oomis and check into the Inn of the Grateful Night.  Securing passage to Parsool, Oslac and Laaric, suddenly become ill, and Lady Corsair soon discovers they have been poisoned.  Quickly finding an antidote, she pervades upon them to join her in finding the Sword of Tarcix at the ruins of Qeb, before her crew does.  Reluctant to help, but feeling obligated to Lady Corsair, the group boards the merchant ship, Assurance, hoping to arrive before the pirate ship.  However, as they reach their destination, they find the Devil's Sun waiting for them. After a brief sea battle in which the Assurance is almost sunk, Oslac summons a sea creature, to attack the pirate ship.  With the Assurance still fleeing, the group jumps overboard and swims to shore. Only one pirate remains to guard the ruins, and he is quickly dispatched. As the group makes their way into the ruins, they are attacked by a creature of the undead. Defeating the creature, they come across the remains of an epic battle which has just ended leaving only two survivors. The two have found the Sword of Tarcix, and Oslac demands that they hand it over. Upon refusing, Oslac disarms the pirate holding the sword, while his dire wolf attacks the pirate. Olsac uses the Sword upon the other pirate, instantly killing him. Recognizing its power, Oslac is fearful that the Sword will fall into the wrong hands, and decides to keep it for further quests. The group finds the room filled with other treasures, and make their way to the coastal city of Urceb. After selling their treasures, Lady Corsair parts with the group to find a new ship and crew to pirate with.  To be continued.....

Last edited by Gundarr_the_Great (3/23/2020 3:47 pm)

3/23/2020 3:46 pm  #129

Gundarr_the_Great wrote:

With Lady Corsair so wrapped up in winning the affections of Oslac, her crew begins to mutiny when she neglects her responsibilities.  Rescuing her, Oslac and Laaric flee into the jungle, where they are ambushed by pursuing pirates.  However, Oslac summons a Dracophon to assist in their escape.  The party arrive at the city of Oomis and check into the Inn of the Grateful Night.  Securing passage to Parsool, Oslac and Laaric, suddenly become ill, and Lady Corsair soon discovers they have been poisoned.  Quickly finding an antidote, she pervades upon them to join her in finding the Sword of Tarcix at the ruins of Qeb, before her crew does.  Reluctant to help, but feeling obligated to Lady Corsair, the group boards the merchant ship, Assurance, hoping to arrive before the pirate ship.  However, as they reach their destination, they find the Devil's Sun waiting for them. After a brief sea battle in which the Assurance is almost sunk, Oslac summons a sea creature, to attack the pirate ship.  With the Assurance still fleeing, the group jumps overboard and swims to shore. Only one pirate remains to guard the ruins, and he is quickly dispatched. As the group makes their way into the ruins, they are attacked by a creature of the undead. Defeating the creature, they come across the remains of an epic battle which has just ended leaving only two survivors. The two have found the Sword of Tarcix, and Oslac demands that they hand it over. Upon refusing, Oslac disarms the pirate holding the sword, while his dire wolf attacks the pirate. Olsac uses the Sword upon the other pirate, instantly killing him. Recognizing its power, Oslac is fearful that the Sword will fall into the wrong hands, and decides to keep it for further quests. The group finds the room filled with other treasures, and make their way to the ruined settlement of Ygddar. Trading with the Blue Giants, they decide what their next course of action may be. To be continued.....

Where's my axe?

3/23/2020 3:51 pm  #130

Gundarr_the_Great wrote:

With Lady Corsair so wrapped up in winning the affections of Oslac, her crew begins to mutiny when she neglects her responsibilities.  Rescuing her, Oslac and Laaric flee into the jungle, where they are ambushed by pursuing pirates.  However, Oslac summons a Dracophon to assist in their escape.  The party arrive at the city of Oomis and check into the Inn of the Grateful Night.  Securing passage to Parsool, Oslac and Laaric, suddenly become ill, and Lady Corsair soon discovers they have been poisoned.  Quickly finding an antidote, she pervades upon them to join her in finding the Sword of Tarcix at the ruins of Qeb, before her crew does.  Reluctant to help, but feeling obligated to Lady Corsair, the group boards the merchant ship, Assurance, hoping to arrive before the pirate ship.  However, as they reach their destination, they find the Devil's Sun waiting for them. After a brief sea battle in which the Assurance is almost sunk, Oslac summons a sea creature, to attack the pirate ship.  With the Assurance still fleeing, the group jumps overboard and swims to shore. Only one pirate remains to guard the ruins, and he is quickly dispatched. As the group makes their way into the ruins, they are attacked by a creature of the undead. Defeating the creature, they come across the remains of an epic battle which has just ended leaving only two survivors. The two have found the Sword of Tarcix, and Oslac demands that they hand it over. Upon refusing, Oslac disarms the pirate holding the sword, while his dire wolf attacks the pirate. Olsac uses the Sword upon the other pirate, instantly killing him. Recognizing its power, Oslac is fearful that the Sword will fall into the wrong hands, and decides to keep it for further quests. The group finds the room filled with other treasures, and make their way to the coastal city of Urceb. After selling their treasures, Lady Corsair parts with the group to find a new ship and crew to pirate with.  To be continued.....

Was that all today's session. Awesome stuff!

Board footera