The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/26/2019 8:34 pm  #1

The BoL Hack

So other than Simon, anyone else play/run the BoL Hack? It looks like I might be running a one shot in a week (planning on adapting Krongar and the Temple of the Flesh-Eaters). The group I'm running for have played D&D before, so I figured BoL Hack is a good gateway to regular BoL

10/26/2019 10:29 pm  #2

Re: The BoL Hack

Just started in a BoL Hack in Thieves’ World ok play by post. Too early to tell you my impressions, other than the swingier d20 and difficulties seem to make heroes feel a bit more 0 than default BoL characters. I do like it so far.

11/19/2019 9:06 pm  #3

roryb wrote:

Just started in a BoL Hack in Thieves’ World ok play by post. Too early to tell you my impressions, other than the swingier d20 and difficulties seem to make heroes feel a bit more 0 than default BoL characters. I do like it so far.

When you say "more 0" you mean more useless/incompetent? Maybe ratchet the difficulties down some? TN 10 should be reachable for somebody with career and attribute bonuses in something.

I just came across this game again a couple of months ago after playing an Everywhen game with the illustrious Gnombient He actually suggested it to me years ago but after hitting a wall with 5E world design I found I could do everything and more with the BoL Hack. I haven't run it yet but after playing straight BoL I look forward to trying it out...

11/19/2019 9:23 pm  #4

I ended up just going with regular BoL myself. The players are used to D&D, but they all liked BoL. Hopefully I can run it again for them

11/20/2019 12:18 am  #5

barrataria wrote:

roryb wrote:

When you say "more 0" you mean more useless/incompetent? Maybe ratchet the difficulties down some? TN 10 should be reachable for somebody with career and attribute bonuses in something.

I just came across this game again a couple of months ago after playing an Everywhen game with the illustrious Gnombient He actually suggested it to me years ago but after hitting a wall with 5E world design I found I could do everything and more with the BoL Hack. I haven't run it yet but after playing straight BoL I look forward to trying it out...

I just meant that d20 is swingier, and anything above a TN 10 had a good chance of failure. My experience isn’t go very long, so take that with a grain of salt.

11/20/2019 8:36 am  #6

I've actually been using Simon's d20 version of Crimson Blades to run a game set in Thieve's World using the original Chaosium boxed set. The random encounters have been a lot of fun and Crimson Blades has a real Stormbringer feel to it.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

11/20/2019 11:44 am  #7

The GIT! wrote:

I've actually been using Simon's d20 version of Crimson Blades to run a game set in Thieve's World using the original Chaosium boxed set. The random encounters have been a lot of fun and Crimson Blades has a real Stormbringer feel to it.

Thanks, there are so many offshoots of this game it's crazy! I'll peek at those too...

11/20/2019 11:03 pm  #8

Man, that Crimson Blades has a vibe. I really like the (untried idea of the) d6 version. I’d like a game if that some time.

11/21/2019 10:30 am  #9

roryb wrote:

Man, that Crimson Blades has a vibe. I really like the (untried idea of the) d6 version. I’d like a game if that some time.

I do like the d6 version a lot but the d20 version really does have a terrific OSR feel to it. There are a couple of things that got missed in the final version so I created a few houserules to tweak it - I'll post them when I get home from work tonight.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

11/21/2019 12:02 pm  #10

Do post!

Board footera