The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/23/2019 9:14 am  #1

Tropicana

Still thinking of what to run after Heroes of Hellas comes to an end.
[My post copied from the MeWE Everywhen page.]

Has anyone had a stab at Everywhen-ing (is that a word - it is now) the Savage Worlds setting Tropicana? I'm thinking of getting the pdf and converting it to EW - which should be easy. So if anyone else has already done this, I'd be interested in how it went.The setting is a corrupt city state on the coast of South America, set on a peninsula jutting out into the Caribbean, in the shadow of an extinct volcano. Aside from the sprawling coastal city, the rest of the tiny country is dense sparsely inhabited jungle. It's like a tropical Monaco, crossed with Miami, crossed with Rio.

Perhaps it's just me being of a certain age, but it seems to have a real Magnum P.I. or Miami Vice 1980s feel. Burn Notice might also be an influence - there is no inference from the promo material available about when it's set, and so it could be today, but as I say it just screams the 1980s to me. The pdf is on DriveThru at a reasonable price, so I'll probably get it anyway.

The (forthcoming) EW Dogs of War supplement would be perfect for this, but the core book really has all you need.

So I can see a retired US FBI agent, running a detective agency staffed by burned spies, aging mercenaries and (nearly) reformed criminals, helping out their sometimes shady clients in a sun kissed paradise. "We knew you were lying to us Miss Wonderly, but you were paying us enough that we didn't mind."

So the question is, is one of the investigators the owner of a helicopter or do they have a friend who does that?

Has anyone bought this setting?

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (9/23/2019 9:15 am)

My real name is Steve Hall

10/01/2019 2:20 pm  #2

Re: Tropicana

I'm interested in getting this setting as well. DOW should definitely work well with it. I might also tweak it more and locate it in the South China Sea region to fit it in more with the Black Lagoon anime series.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

10/10/2019 8:19 am  #3

So I finally cracked and bought the Savage Worlds setting Tropicana. It seems a bit of a 'busy' setting, with perhaps a bit too many different threads going on - crime, spies, jungle exploration, underwater exploration, weird supernatural events, etc. While the setting could support all of these, including all of them at the same time would be too much, in my opinion.

Perhaps a better approach would have been to have a discussion of all of these as options as a focus to campaign. Some clearly work well together, while others don't mesh so well. To my mind the jungle exploration and weird events themes evoke a more 1930s/40s feel. However, I've only skimmed the surface of the pdf, so a closer reading might give a less jumbled impression. All in all though, I'm pleased with my purchase and can see it making a fine EW game.

It is set in the modern world, as I expected, but I think my idea of taking things back to the 1980s is a good one and easy enough to do with the material provided. The forces of law and order and a large army will need to be cut down to size, as however corrupt of inefficient they are, as written they would still leave the PCs with limited wiggle room to operate on the fringes of legality.

(Definition of a PC: Someone who operates on the fringes of legality.)

When it comes to putting a game together, firstly, I think I might consult the Internet Movie Firearms Database to discover all the guns used in the 1980s 'Magnum P I' and only allow those weapons for players in the game. Ditto for vehicles, although that will require other sources.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (10/10/2019 8:21 am)

11/14/2019 6:47 pm  #4

I don't really have feedback but these are interesting posts.

Where's my axe?

11/18/2019 11:30 am  #5

I know Magnum P.I. has been mentioned as a possibility using the Tropicana setting from Savage Worlds but, as i mentioned before, I would much prefer doing something more akin to Black Lagoon. With that in mind here are the Black Lagoon links on theIMPDb, IMFDb and the IMCDb (unfortunately there isn't a decent Db for boats and water vehicles)...

https://impdb.org/index.php?title=Black_Lagoon

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Black_Lagoon

https://www.imcdb.org/movie_962826-Black-Lagoon.html

Last edited by The GIT! (11/19/2019 10:17 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

11/19/2019 9:34 am  #6

I have little experience of manga or anime, so was totally unaware of Black Lagoon. It does seem a good fit for a more slam-bam style of Tropicana. Thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (11/19/2019 9:36 am)

11/19/2019 12:52 pm  #7

Gruntfuttock wrote:

...Thanks for the heads-up.

My pleasure. I'm just glad to see some activity still taking place on these forums. There have been some terrific discussions and rules hacks posted here in the past and I really want 
the forums to continue to thrive.

All too often other social media sites get used (such as MeWe) but I still believe that dedicated forums like this are the best way to support a game product and share ideas.

Board footera