The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/15/2019 11:13 am  #1

Initiative/Priority in Mythic

The initiative system in BoL Mythic is a bit more complicated and harder to set up than in Legendary edition.  How many of you that play Mythic have reverted back to the Legendary edition style initiative and how has it worked out for you?

7/15/2019 2:21 pm  #2

Re: Initiative/Priority in Mythic

Play BoL with Mythic rules (with some house rules of course) - at first I didn't really care for the Initiative system in the Mythic rules, but have been using them for a while and don't  have a problem with them now.

Give it a try, after a while you might like it.  Then again....

7/16/2019 5:14 am  #3

Umm...can't see that the Mythic initiative system is particularly hard to use.

Personally I like the new system and haven't felt the need to go back to the Legendary version. It has worked well for our group and you soon get used to the new system in play. As I've said elsewhere, Mythic really shines when the dice hit the table - you really do need to run it to appreciate the changes from Legendary edition.

One neat tweak to the system appears in the Everywhen rule set, where a Villain (called a Rival in EW) can have a Boon called Diabolical Plan, which allows them to act ahead of Heroes with a success in the priority order in combat. This is one of three special Boons available to just Villains/Rivals; the others are Meat Shield and Timely Escape - and all three would be a good addition to Villains armoury in standard BoL games.

My real name is Steve Hall

9/29/2020 11:52 am  #4

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Umm...can't see that the Mythic initiative system is particularly hard to use.

Personally I like the new system and haven't felt the need to go back to the Legendary version. It has worked well for our group and you soon get used to the new system in play. As I've said elsewhere, Mythic really shines when the dice hit the table - you really do need to run it to appreciate the changes from Legendary edition.

One neat tweak to the system appears in the Everywhen rule set, where a Villain (called a Rival in EW) can have a Boon called Diabolical Plan, which allows them to act ahead of Heroes with a success in the priority order in combat. This is one of three special Boons available to just Villains/Rivals; the others are Meat Shield and Timely Escape - and all three would be a good addition to Villains armoury in standard BoL games.

Just noticed this post. Yes, I know, I keep bumping old posts but, considering there's not much happening on these forums any more, why not?

Anyway, the idea of special Villain Boons may at first seem like a good idea but, honestly, the Meat Shield and Timely Escape options are covered in BoL Mythic under the use of Villain Points (pg 161). Personally, I would just add Diabolical Plan as another Villain Point option if I were to use it in BoL Mythic (and, yes, I do like the actual idea of shifting the priority for a Villain).

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

11/05/2020 7:17 pm  #5

I guess I should note that I've run Mythic edition a lot and my players were even confused with tracking it by level of success sometimes when in the midst of things.

11/09/2020 1:43 pm  #6

Well, honestly, I was kind of against the priority system myself when it was first introduced. Now that I've run the Mythic version of the rules as much as I have, both at the game table and on VTT, I actually like the system. The players may not really get it at first but what they do enjoy is being able to work together each round and decide who goes when within their priority groups; it really helps the team play element which I think the priority rolls were trying to achieve.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

Board footera