The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2019 7:48 am  #1

Races of the Wilderlands: Elf

The Wilderlands of Ancient Mystery is my own take on the old Judges Guild setting Wilderlands of High Fantasy.  I've run it with OD&D and BoL. Although I enjoy both rulesets, I prefer the latter as it meshes better with my more low-fantasy, pulp-S&S version of the setting.  The D&D demihuman races are still present in the setting, but are generally rarer and more isolated from the humanocentric city-states.  PCs can choose to play as one of these races.  They create characters as normal, but must take all of the Boon/Flaw Traits for their character race.  Racial Flaws generally cannot be bought off over the course of play.

Here's my take on the Elf:

ELF
This dying race lives in isolated enclaves, pursuing magical studies and dream-questing to the Elf-Source (an extra-dimensional psychic “sea” in which reside communally the spirits of all the elves who have passed on), but younger members will occasionally seek adventure and knowledge in the outside world.  (NOTE: Elves of the Wilderlands are not hippie, arboreal-harmonious Middle-Earthy Elves. They are closer in spirit to the Fey Elves of Anderson’s The Broken Sword and the Melniboneans of Moorcock’s Elric series, albeit less evil.)

Description: skin and hair tones vary depending on environment (forest or jungle elves will have greenish skin, ice elves bluish, etc.), 6’, slender/lithe build, pointed ears.

Preferred Careers: Crafter, Alchemist, Scribe
Languages: Elvish, Common; may know other ancient/dead languages. 
Traits:

• Fae-sight: when actively concentrating, the Elf has a chance to detect invisible creatures, faerie portals, illusions, and magic auras.
  • Savant
  • Long-Lived
  • Ancestral Memories: An Elf character can enter into a trance and attempt to commune with the spirits in the Elf-Source to gather information. 
  • Delicate
  • Weakness: Cold Iron & Silver: Elves have an aversion to Cold Iron and Silver items.  Weapons made of either substance do double damage to Elves.  Wearing or handling silver (coins, jewelry, etc.) is uncomfortable but manageable.  Touching cold iron with bare skin feels like touching a hot pan, and will cause the Elf 1d3 damage.

2/19/2019 10:22 am  #2

Re: Races of the Wilderlands: Elf

gnombient wrote:

The Wilderlands of Ancient Mystery is my own take on the old Judges Guild setting Wilderlands of High Fantasy.  I've run it with OD&D and BoL. Although I enjoy both rulesets, I prefer the latter as it meshes better with my more low-fantasy, pulp-S&S version of the setting.  The D&D demihuman races are still present in the setting, but are generally rarer and more isolated from the humanocentric city-states.  PCs can choose to play as one of these races.  They create characters as normal, but must take all of the Boon/Flaw Traits for their character race.  Racial Flaws generally cannot be bought off over the course of play.

Here's my take on the Elf:

ELF
This dying race lives in isolated enclaves, pursuing magical studies and dream-questing to the Elf-Source (an extra-dimensional psychic “sea” in which reside communally the spirits of all the elves who have passed on), but younger members will occasionally seek adventure and knowledge in the outside world.  (NOTE: Elves of the Wilderlands are not hippie, arboreal-harmonious Middle-Earthy Elves. They are closer in spirit to the Fey Elves of Anderson’s The Broken Sword and the Melniboneans of Moorcock’s Elric series, albeit less evil.)

Description: skin and hair tones vary depending on environment (forest or jungle elves will have greenish skin, ice elves bluish, etc.), 6’, slender/lithe build, pointed ears.

Preferred Careers: Crafter, Alchemist, Scribe
Languages: Elvish, Common; may know other ancient/dead languages. 
Traits:

• Fae-sight: when actively concentrating, the Elf has a chance to detect invisible creatures, faerie portals, illusions, and magic auras.
  • Savant
  • Long-Lived
  • Ancestral Memories: An Elf character can enter into a trance and attempt to commune with the spirits in the Elf-Source to gather information. 
  • Delicate
  • Weakness: Cold Iron & Silver: Elves have an aversion to Cold Iron and Silver items.  Weapons made of either substance do double damage to Elves.  Wearing or handling silver (coins, jewelry, etc.) is uncomfortable but manageable.  Touching cold iron with bare skin feels like touching a hot pan, and will cause the Elf 1d3 damage.

Awesome! I like to use my BoL for high fantasy as much as low/pulp. Keep’m coming!

2/20/2019 2:38 pm  #3

Is elves having problems with silver your invention or have I just not run across it before?

Where's my axe?

2/21/2019 8:17 am  #4

Narmer wrote:

Is elves having problems with silver your invention or have I just not run across it before?

It's not a weakness of D&D elves, if that's what you mean. Elves in my setting are more faerie-ish and otherworldly, and my houserule came from something I read years ago about silver affecting faerie creatures. 

2/22/2019 2:54 am  #5

Silver is often quoted as something that causes elves pain or sickness in both old legends and also quite a few stories I've read. 

I can't stand the pointy-eared sods myself, so anything that hinders them is good in my book.

My real name is Steve Hall

7/04/2019 3:50 pm  #6

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Silver is often quoted as something that causes elves pain or sickness in both old legends and also quite a few stories I've read. 

I can't stand the pointy-eared sods myself, so anything that hinders them is good in my book.

I really dislike their arrogance.  Have you done anymore work on this?

Where's my axe?

Board footera