The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2019 7:25 pm  #1

Drunkard Flaw w/ Carouser Boon

I've just made an NPC and came across an interesting quirk. She's a minstrel/thief who likes her drink and is a real people person. I gave her Drunkard because it sounded fun and it fit her personality. Then I took Carouser because it also made sense for her character. But, here's where things got interesting (and a little confusing).

With Drunkard, when you have to do something important, you roll a d6, and if its a 1, you're drunk and have to be sobered up (side note - I think that's hilarious and would have a blast roleplaying this).

With Carouser, one of the benefits is you are resilient to the effects of alcohol. So, does this cancel out the 1 if you roll it? It says resilient, not immune. So maybe, if you roll a 1, you roll again, and have to get a second 1, to be drunk and worthless (or maybe it's 50/50).

Thoughts?

6/15/2019 4:14 am  #2

Re: Drunkard Flaw w/ Carouser Boon

Personally I think they cancel each other out. I'd rule that you can be either one, or the other - you can't be both!

My real name is Steve Hall

6/25/2019 5:59 am  #3

Agreed, it would be hard for the two not to negate each other.

Holding one's booze is only a small part of Carouser IMO, which is more about one's ability to schmooze and engage with others within the setting of a feast/party/etc.  James Bond can drink martinis and carouse at a lavish party, but keeps his wits (doesn't drink too much) and knows how to use both the festive setting and others' intoxication and/or gaiety to his advantage in gathering information.

Drunkard as a Flaw suggests that when the person drinks, they drink with the intention of getting hammered and not stopping until they get there.  Because of the resulting impairments to judgment and self-control, the drunkard is more likely to accidentally give away information (talking too loudly or to the wrong person), get in a fight, or end up in a situation that is compromising or from which it is difficult to extricate oneself ("Wait a minute, last night I agreed to do WHAT?!")

Last edited by gnombient (6/25/2019 8:09 am)

6/25/2019 11:53 pm  #4

There is a quote attributed to Hemingway, that goes something like:

Always do in the morning whatever you agreed  to do last night while you were drunk. It'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.

My real name is Steve Hall

6/28/2019 3:15 pm  #5

I view them as being mutually exclusive as they have separate meanings. 
Carouser grants an advantage in social situations where partying, drinking and mingling might be taking place or in a drinking competition for example. 
Drunkard implies a bad habit of drinking to excess repeatedly.
Combined with Carouser this means you can hold your drink better than most but you often overdo it and may be useless for a period after.

One is used during the party, the other is rolled for after.

He dwells on a great mountain. What use to call on him? Little he cares if men live or die. Better to be silent than to call his attention to you; he will send you dooms, not fortune! He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?

Board footera