The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2019 5:59 am  #101

Re: What RPG(s) are you playing/running/planning?

An 'Epic Wars of Land and Sea' thread sounds like a great idea! Not sure I'd have much to contribute, but I'd be interested in reading other people's experiences with the mass battle rules (I've only used them once).

Nice to see some new posts here! I post here occasionally, but traffic was so slight I admit I got a bit discouraged. Usually post on MeWe now, but personally I prefer forums, as I'm old and I don't use a smart phone.

Heroes of Hellas is a lovely take on BoL, as I've mentioned here before. I recommend it to anyone with a love of Ray Harryhausen. I'd love it if Chris Harper updated it to Mythic, as it deserves a wider audience. Or perhaps as an Everywhen supplement?

I'm mostly playing a lot of Everywhen at the moment, and have just run three very successful Firefly games, using the fan work Barbarians of the Void for the space travel/activity bits of the game. If you haven't run Everywhen yet, you are missing out. And the quality of the three supplements released so far, is excellent.

As I'm temporarily losing a player for a few weeks, I'll probably return to my Fierce Raven 1-to-1 game where my wife plays a Viking hunting Irish Princess in 11th century Ireland. A historical fantasy game using BoL, in the style of REH.

My real name is Steve Hall

2/14/2019 9:59 am  #102

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Nice to see some new posts here! I post here occasionally, but traffic was so slight I admit I got a bit discouraged. Usually post on MeWe now, but personally I prefer forums, as I'm old and I don't use a smart phone.

I tried MeWe when the initial semi-migration happened in the wake of the G+ announcement, but ended up deleting my account.  I prefer forums and blogs -- better organized, and much easier to follow specific discussions. 

This board can be revived!  Spread the word to the BoL and Everywhen MeWe communities, drag them back here!

Last edited by gnombient (2/14/2019 10:20 am)

2/14/2019 11:08 am  #103

I prefer forums too, and the MeWe community isn't that much more active except for announcements of new Everywhen products.

2/17/2019 8:03 pm  #104

My wife and I are playing several different campaigns, using the BoL Mythic - ruleset (modified of course).
Our longest campaign is called the Hammer of Æs, a Hyborian Age campaign. 

The other campaigns that we have going on are a BoL Beasts and Barbarians Jalizar campaign and a BoL Savage North campaign - we just played 3+ hours of this campaign today, the first part of the adventure titled The Isle of the Sorcerer.  Converting the 2nd half so that we can finish it up next weekend.

We also started a Warhammer BoL campaign, we've played a couple of adventures - but I have been thinking of using The Fantasy Trip rules for this, so I have put it on the back burner until I decide which way I'm going to go.  We ran the adventure "A Day Late, A Shilling Short" with both the BoL rules and the TFT rules.  Both results were similar.

I've been reading some of the posts from the Lords of Lemuria forum, some pretty good ideas in their.  I have not bought Everywhen yet, don't think I need it currently, but might pick it up down the road.  I had messed around with a BoL 24 or Strike Back type game using the BoL Dogs of War ruleset. 

I'm wondering if Everywhen would be better for that than the DoW rules set?

2/18/2019 6:44 am  #105

Everywhen is a great version/development/whatever of Mythic Edition BoL and has many 'bells and whistles' that you can add to your game, nor not, as you choose. The supplements released so far have been high quality, squarely aimed at material for use in actual play, and very reasonably priced.

To support Everywhen I bought the first supplement, 'Neonpunk Crysis', even though the subject matter (retro 1980s anime) was of little interest to me. On reading it I was actually rather pumped to run a game of it! (I haven't done so far, as I haven't found a timeslot for it.) 

Apparently there are plans to update Dogs of W.A. R. as an Everywhen supplement, although there are a few ahead of it in the queue. However, just using the core EW book I ran a very successful 1960s spy game.

2/25/2019 12:36 am  #106

It’s announced on one of the Solo Gaming groups to which I belong that March is Solo a Module Month. I’ve decided I’m going to do a rough adaptation of Dragonlance in a Lemurian analogue. It may be completely unrecognizable, but that’s sort of the point.

I discuss the idea here: https://noonetoplay.blogspot.com/2019/02/soloamodule-dragonblade-abstract.html

2/25/2019 7:12 am  #107

This is an interesting idea - please alert us to updates on your blog. I'd love to see how this project works (or doesn't), and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

2/25/2019 8:21 am  #108

Gruntfuttock wrote:

This is an interesting idea - please alert us to updates on your blog. I'd love to see how this project works (or doesn't), and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Thanks, will do!

4/01/2019 9:09 am  #109

The Everywhen Firefly game I ran last night was great fun.

The players got mixed up in more industrial espionage between rival corporations in the 'Verse, which is proving to be even more dangerous than their numerous criminal relationships. I can't stress enough how great EW is for running Firefly - if you love the setting you really need to try running a Firefly game with Everywhen.

Highpoints were the pugilist Engineer Sergei smacking the crew's scary ex-special forces employer on his butt twice during a friendly sparring match, on a long flight to the job. (OOC: "Oh no, not again!!" IC: "Sorry mate!" <sickly grin>)

Also Captain Clementine Tree smashing the female assassin's head into the toilet mirror, and then knocking her out with a haymaker, before stealing the data chip she was buying. (The assassin survived the encounter, which does not bode well for the future.)

And what do you do when a nasty man with a knife tries to take the chip back? Why, swallow the chip, of course!

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (4/01/2019 9:10 am)

4/19/2019 8:19 am  #110

Last weekend I had a chance to run a short-notice Everywhen "not-Traveller" adventure.  None of the players were familiar with BoL, and they all had a great time.  Character creation was finished in half an hour, leaving plenty of time for adventure.  The min-maxing players were very interested in the boons and flaws and went to town, not realizing (until after the game had started) that the "flaws" are actually flaws that would negatively impact them! 

The characters, recently arrived in a subsector on the fringe of the Humanspace Imperium and (of course) short on cash, were offered a lucrative job by a patron: to "detain" a rival salesman for a few days, so the patron could seal a business deal.  No murder or robbery, just a simple kidnapping... What could possibly go wrong? 

Two hours of shenanigans and skulduggery later, the characters had killed the target, stolen a valuable formula, and made enemies of at least one megacorporation (possibly more if their dirty deeds are discovered.)  All in a day's work for Traveller characters! 

They already have another patron lined up for an exploration job in a neighboring system, but we'll see if their enemies catch up with them first...

Board footera