The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2019 3:41 am  #1

Everywhen Random Game Idea Part 1

After decrying the lack of posts recently (on all sites) by gamers of random game or campaign ideas, I thought I’d better put up or shut up. Here is the sort of thing I miss, and what we used to see a lot more of. I love these sort of posts – why have people stopped writing them?

It’s something I wrote up on MeWe’s Everywhen group page a while back. It’s not a fully fleshed out setting or scenario, but a stream of consciousness ramble of game ideas – which others can ignore, develop further for themselves, or inspire them in other directions, possibly in another genre. This is a pulp game idea, but you could easily redo this as a fantasy game structure.

[Originally posted on MeWe 3 months ago]
As ever, when it comes to one-shots, you can't beat Robert E. Howard for inspiration. Lately I've been re-reading the three stories he wrote about Kirby O'Donnell - and Irish American adventurer in Central Asia before WW1. These even read like Everywhen games.

When dinosaurs ruled the earth and in another place, I posted about running games based on Howard's El Borak stories, but set in Victorian times. But nowadays the Kirby O'Donnell stories are inspiring me more. O'Donnell is a similar character to El Borak, but more mercenary and driven by the quest for treasure. More like the usual sort of PC in fact, rather than the more honourable and principled El Borak.

Everywhen can model the differences in weapons (everything from matchlock rifles to Lee Enfields, Cossack daggers to Indian tulwars) very easily; and the tropes of long lost treasures, hidden cities, secret societies run by power-mad villains, and Great Power intrigue are as pulpy as they come. And breakneck action - lots of action!
I've got my next one-shot - if I can find time to fit it in.

My real name is Steve Hall

2/19/2019 9:32 am  #2

Re: Everywhen Random Game Idea Part 1

I haven't read any of the Kirby O'Donnell tales, I'll have to check them out.  It's a very cool setting and time period for adventure.  Looking forward to the after-action report!

Board footera