The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/23/2018 12:28 pm  #91

Re: What RPG(s) are you playing/running/planning?

The GIT! wrote:

Sigulf wrote:

...(Heck I even have The Thieves World stuff too) I like urban campaigns as does my wife.

Not long ago I ran Crimson Blades d20 using the old boxed set of Thieves' World for a couple of my players (Fafhrd and Grey Mouser style). We had a blast and a few other players asked to join in which added to the fun. I was basically just running random encounters and spinning some outrageous yarns.

I think I might revisit the game over the Xmas holidays.

That sounds super fun. Can I crash your party?

12/24/2018 11:13 am  #92

First a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

My wife and I are returning to our Jalizar (Beasts and Barbarians) Campaign, of course its converted to BoL.  Played some BoL Freeport over the last month - but decided that I wanted to return to a more "Sword and Sorcery" type setting.  So Jalizar got the nod.

Every time I try to adapt/convert/run a Fantasy/D&D setting - I find myself really wanting to get back to Sword and Sorcery, I guess I am just not really a High Fantasy settings fan... oh well, its nice to have options.

I have a small Jalizar adventure set up for Christmas day.

Last edited by Sigulf (12/24/2018 11:13 am)

12/25/2018 3:49 am  #93

Seasons Greetings!!

I'm running a Firefly adventure on 27th December, using the Everywhen rules. I ran about 8 Firefly adventures about 4 years back using the Barbarians of the Void free fan hack of Legendary and Mythic editions plus bits of Traveller. I think Everywhen will do a great job. (I was down to write a 1930s detective game, but I just wasn't feeling it, and then got side tracked onto a pre-WW1 adventure set in Central Asia -  but then I remembered how much fun we had in the Firefly setting.)

My real name is Steve Hall

2/13/2019 11:38 am  #94

Happy belated New Year everyone!

RPG-wise, I'm prepping a new lunch-hour game for some folks at work.  It'll be a Wilderlands sandbox, most likely run with my "BoL-ish" house rules -- mostly Mythic, with additional inspiration from the OD&D little brown books, BoL Hack, Yora's B/XoL, and elsewhere.

Also on the BoL front: inspired by Tony Bath's "Setting up a Wargames Campaign," I recently started solo-playing with the mass battle and naval warfare rules a bit in the context of my Wilderlands setting.  For this purpose, the mass battle rules are perfect -- simple and abstract, with the right amount of flavor from the Heroic Actions. 

Last edited by gnombient (2/13/2019 11:39 am)

2/13/2019 1:09 pm  #95

I love the idea of running a wargame campaign. I'm still running my All For One campaign which we started back in 2012 and is set during the 30 Years War. There have been a few occasions where the PCs have had to deal with real battles that took place but, rather than be involved, they have had to avoid or circumvent them to proceed with their missions.

I'll have to track down a copy of Tony Bath's book and give it a read as I've heard good things about it.

On a different note, I ran some Crimson Blades d20 set in Thieves' World the other day and I just purchased the Battlestar Galactica: Starship Battles - Starter Set (really looking forward to trying this out).

I'm also playing in some Savage Worlds games (Achtung! Cthulhu and Rippers Resurrected) and will be looking to run some Star Wars D6 soon.

BoL game I'd really like to run is Heroes of Hellas.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

2/13/2019 1:29 pm  #96

Oh man, I could go for some HoH! That would be fun.

For solo gaming appreciation month, I did some BoL solo and got to try out the battles. I had an evenly-sided combat, which went on for too long due to even odds. In the future I would probably change the resolution mechanic to victory points gained over five exchanges or so and rate on a scale:

0 - stalemate
1-2 - mariginal success for victor
3-4 - decisive success for victor
5 - overwhelming success for victor

That way, it won’t go on forever and would still give PCs a chance to do some things to effect the outcome.

I recently started up a BoL play by post. We’ll see how that goes.

2/13/2019 1:52 pm  #97

The GIT! wrote:

I'll have to track down a copy of Tony Bath's book and give it a read as I've heard good things about it.

It's definitely worth picking up and reading.  (This is the version I have.)  Even if you, like me, don't have the space/time/resources/etc. to devote to "serious" miniatures wargaming, but Bath is still a good, thought-provoking read for referees of RPG campaigns.

2/13/2019 1:59 pm  #98

roryb wrote:

For solo gaming appreciation month, I did some BoL solo and got to try out the battles. I had an evenly-sided combat, which went on for too long due to even odds. In the future I would probably change the resolution mechanic to victory points gained over five exchanges or so and rate on a scale:

0 - stalemate

That way, it won’t go on forever and would still give PCs a chance to do some things to effect the outcome.

Thanks for sharing your insight into the mass battle system, roryb!  I'll make a note of your suggestion.  Maybe we should start a separate thread for "mass battle system experiences and houserules," I'd be interested to see what other folks have done with it.

2/13/2019 8:45 pm  #99

gnombient wrote:

roryb wrote:

0 - stalemate

Thanks for sharing your insight into the mass battle system, roryb!  I'll make a note of your suggestion.  Maybe we should start a separate thread for "mass battle system experiences and houserules," I'd be interested to see what other folks have done with it.

Not a bad idea! Epic Wars of Land and Sea, perhaps?

2/14/2019 5:58 am  #100

An 'Epic Wars of Land and Sea' thread sounds like a great idea! Not sure I'd have much to contribute, but I'd be interested in reading other people's experiences with the mass battle rules (I've only used them once).

Nice to see some new posts here! I post here occasionally, but traffic was so slight I admit I got a bit discouraged. Usually post on MeWe now, but personally I prefer forums, as I'm old and I don't use a smart phone.

Heroes of Hellas is a lovely take on BoL, as I've mentioned here before. I recommend it to anyone with a love of Ray Harryhausen. I'd love it if Chris Harper updated it to Mythic, as it deserves a wider audience. Or perhaps as an Everywhen supplement?

I'm mostly playing a lot of Everywhen at the moment, and have just run three very successful Firefly games, using the fan work Barbarians of the Void for the space travel/activity bits of the game. If you haven't run Everywhen yet, you are missing out. And the quality of the three supplements released so far, is excellent.

As I'm temporarily losing a player for a few weeks, I'll probably return to my Fierce Raven 1-to-1 game where my wife plays a Viking hunting Irish Princess in 11th century Ireland. A historical fantasy game using BoL, in the style of REH.

My real name is Steve Hall

Board footera