The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2018 11:02 am  #81

Re: What RPG(s) are you playing/running/planning?

Converted "The Cursed Tomb of Al'Amar" (by Eric K. Rodriguez) to BoL, but haven't run it yet.  Instead, we have been running some adventures in the Dominions, specifically in Jalizar; from the Beasts and Barbarians Setting.

I even converted the adventure "Triple Cross" from the Savage World's Lankhmar setting.  Just changed Lankhmar to Jalizar, what's one city of thieves vs another after all .

Working on converting the B&B adventure "Grains of Death", its set in Jalizar already.

Last edited by Sigulf (8/30/2018 11:04 am)

9/01/2018 2:56 am  #82

Sounds like you're having fun! I've looked at the B&B stuff from time to time and it definitely shares the same S&S outlook as BoL. Over on the Google+ Barbarians of Lemuria community [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Jeb Boyt has recently asked if anyone has done a B&B to BoL conversion, because of B&B being part of a Bundle of Holding.

I've got a lot of affection for Lankhmar and have often considered running a BoL game there. Is B&B's Jalizar worth getting or converting to BoL Lankhmar games? I think that sadly, most commercial products set there seem never to quite capture the feel of the stories.[/color]

My real name is Steve Hall

9/01/2018 4:54 am  #83

Gruntfuttock wrote:

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Is B&B's Jalizar worth getting or converting to BoL Lankhmar games? I think that sadly, most commercial products set there seem never to quite capture the feel of the stories.[/color]

I think that both Jalizar and Lankhmar from the B&B setting are worth picking up - if - you want to run some sort of urban S&S campaign.  I also have the Mongoose Shadizar box set and I have done a lot of stuff with Green Ronin's Freeport.  (Heck I even have The Thieves World stuff too) I like urban campaigns as does my wife. 

The Jalizar and Lankhmar stuff has good material that you can take for your own "Thief's City" adventures.
The great thing about BoL - its easy to convert anything over to it.  My wife has stated that as long as we are using the BoL mechanics, she is good to go.

I've read the synopsis of your ‘Fierce Raven’  campaign over on BoL Google, I like it; a lot. 

9/01/2018 8:16 am  #84

The Fierce Raven will probably set sail again tomorrow.

Meanwhile I'm putting together a two-player 1907 detective game set in Paris, using the BoL driven Everywhen rules set.

10/11/2018 11:40 am  #85

I haven't done any real gaming since I moved a few months ago.  I've been tinkering with "BoL-ish Hack" (my BoL/OD&D hybrid) some more, and I'm hoping to run something for my old group via Roll20 sometime around Halloween.  A coworker is trying to put together an AD&D1e game, which should be fun if we can get schedules to line up. 

10/11/2018 11:45 am  #86

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Meanwhile I'm putting together a two-player 1907 detective game set in Paris, using the BoL driven Everywhen rules set.

Sounds cool!  Have you checked out Raiders of R'lyeh?  It's a d100 Mythos & "Weird menace" RPG set in the Edwardian period.  The rules are too fiddly for my taste, but it has a ton of period setting info and a Silent Legions-ish toolkit for cults, creatures, factions, etc.

Let us know how it goes!

10/15/2018 5:45 am  #87

gnombient wrote:

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Sounds cool!  Have you checked out Raiders of R'lyeh?  It's a d100 Mythos & "Weird menace" RPG set in the Edwardian period.  The rules are too fiddly for my taste, but it has a ton of period setting info and a Silent Legions-ish toolkit for cults, creatures, factions, etc.

Let us know how it goes!

I've heard of Raiders of R'lyeh and a few years back in would have been right in my wheelhouse. However, I'm a bit burned out on those sort of games (but not on the Mythos intruding into Sword & Sorcery adventures, obviously!) I did think of picking up the Raiders pdf for the Edwardian setting info, but the cost of the pdf is rather steep for a game I won't play. And nearly 500 pages! Yikes!! I don't have the energy for wading through that much stuff anymore.

The Fierce Raven has been in dry dock for a little while, but should hit the waves again soon. In the meantime I ran a game yesterday of Heroes of Hellas - updated by me to BoL Mythic. Chris mentioned that he was considering an updated edition, and I'd love to see him do it - possibly as an Everywhen setting???

The HoH game is provisionally entitled 'Barbarians', as the two PCs are, as far as the Greeks are concerned, barbarians. The Amazon warrior and Thracian bard have invested their loot in a vineyard on Crete, and are in partnership with a Cretan sea captain to build and equip two new ships, with which they plan to sail to Britain in search of tin - to break the Phoenician monopoly. 

11/15/2018 12:57 pm  #88

Currently I am running a Freeport campaign using BoL rules.  Just finished running Death in Freeport and have the side-adventure Holiday in the Sun converted, going to run it in the next few days or next week.

Already working on converting Terror in Freeport.
I've been a big fan of the Freeport series (had a campaign going for 4-5 years using D&D 3.5) and my wife wants to play it using BoL, so we are giving it a go.

Main thing for me is toning down the "magic items", but that is easy enough to do.  BoL really is easy to convert other systems too.

11/15/2018 1:10 pm  #89

Sigulf wrote:

Currently I am running a Freeport campaign using BoL rules.  Just finished running Death in Freeport and have the side-adventure Holiday in the Sun converted, going to run it in the next few days or next week.

Already working on converting Terror in Freeport.
I've been a big fan of the Freeport series (had a campaign going for 4-5 years using D&D 3.5) and my wife wants to play it using BoL, so we are giving it a go.

Main thing for me is toning down the "magic items", but that is easy enough to do.  BoL really is easy to convert other systems too.

Would never have thought to try such a combination, but that sounds awesome! BoL is good for swashbuckling action.

11/23/2018 10:45 am  #90

Sigulf wrote:

...(Heck I even have The Thieves World stuff too) I like urban campaigns as does my wife.

Not long ago I ran Crimson Blades d20 using the old boxed set of Thieves' World for a couple of my players (Fafhrd and Grey Mouser style). We had a blast and a few other players asked to join in which added to the fun. I was basically just running random encounters and spinning some outrageous yarns.

I think I might revisit the game over the Xmas holidays.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

Board footera