The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2017 3:11 pm  #1

Heroes of Hellas Mythic Edition

Hi Everyone,

​I have been out of the community for awhile. Made a long distance move with my family. Fortunately we are in a much better place now. We are able to play much more BOL!

​I am planning on updating Heroes of Hellas for the Barbarians Mythic Edition. I am very excited about it.
I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the project. Please let me know what you would like to see in the next edition.

2/20/2017 11:14 pm  #2

Re: Heroes of Hellas Mythic Edition

HoH - my favourite of the BoL spin-offs! I've got nothing more to say.

2/22/2017 2:37 am  #3

Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!

​I'm a great fan of HoH, but haven't been able to run as much as I'd like. It's a great BoL variant and would love to see a Mythic Edition. As for new material, I'd love to see stuff on the Celtoi - as I believe I've posted elsewhere here. Personally, I'd like to see them developed from a Greek perspective - weird, painted, head hunting barbarians (let's face it, they are probably cannibals!) Obviously you could have PCs who are noble Celtic warriors, who have to teach the Greeks the fallacy of their civilised bigotry. The Amazons would probably appreciate the fact that female Celts are skilled warriors, and Thracians could feel a certain kindred ("At least they are not Macedonians!")

​A set of tables for what you might find on a voyage to an unknown island chain (like that that appears in M&M) would also be useful for those of a nautical persuasion.

My real name is Steve Hall

2/23/2017 11:45 am  #4

Great! Glad you like the setting!
​Yes adventure tables is great idea.
Yes I want to write more about the Celtois. I think there is a lot of potential for the Celts. They have there own Mythology and Gods and Monsters and Sagas. If I included all that in The HoH Mythic Edition it would be a new setting and would need new rules and Boons & Flaws. I have thought about having a taste of the Celts in HoH. and then doing a whole new setting (book) that is Celtic. 

2/27/2017 1:32 pm  #5

Fantastic news!  I lost my copy of HoH in a recent move and was considering ordering another.  I don't have much specific to recommend, but new BoL material is always welcome. 

Off the top of my head I can't remember everything that was included in the old HOH, but I would like to see some kind of mechanics or suggestions that help represent the various machinations and influence of the gods, as this seems to play pretty heavily in all Greek myth style stories.  I also wouldn't mind seeing more for mythic/quasi-historical/theosophist sword and sandal cultures such as Troy, Amazons, Atlantis, Scythians, Persia, Egypt etc.  A strong bestiary would be appreciated.

3/01/2017 8:28 am  #6

... more adventures

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!

Bow to Satan!!!

3/12/2017 3:43 am  #7

madprofessor wrote:

Fantastic news!  I lost my copy of HoH in a recent move and was considering ordering another.  I don't have much specific to recommend, but new BoL material is always welcome. 

Off the top of my head I can't remember everything that was included in the old HOH, but I would like to see some kind of mechanics or suggestions that help represent the various machinations and influence of the gods, as this seems to play pretty heavily in all Greek myth style stories.  I also wouldn't mind seeing more for mythic/quasi-historical/theosophist sword and sandal cultures such as Troy, Amazons, Atlantis, Scythians, Persia, Egypt etc.  A strong bestiary would be appreciated.

​I think that everyone's favourite mad scientist has a point - a really strong bestiary would be a big plus, especially if it included mundane animals as well as monsters.

​Where I disagree with the Professor, is when it comes to giving too much information on the surrounding cultures. I think the new edition needs to keep a strong focus on the Greek world and the Greek way of looking at surrounding peoples. So I would include a little more information on Troy and the Amazons, and would add (my personal preference, I know) Celts and also Atlantis - probably the later as more of an lost, forgotten remnant rather than a world power.

​That's really what I had in mind when I suggested that the Keltoi should be presented through Greek eyes: savage barbarians who practice head hunting and human sacrifice, and are probably rumoured to be cannibals. All totally unfair, but that is the view of 'civilised' Greeks. I'd use REH's Picts as inspiration.

​I do think the old Irish tales are a great idea for a BoL game, and the Celts struggle against the Romans would also be a great source for games, but HoH works best in my view when it sticks to my original focus. Adding material for the wider Celt world, not to mention Egypt and Persia would weaken the product in my view.

Obviously, that's just my opinion - feel free to rubbish it below!

10/22/2018 10:20 am  #8

So what's the word on this?

10/25/2018 10:25 am  #9

Curious myself. I'm thinking of getting HoH, but I might hold off if a Mythic edition is imminent.

10/26/2018 2:58 am  #10

On MeWe Simon says that after Chris Harper talked to him about a Mythic update, Simon has heard nothing since. So it sounds like it may be a stalled project (or Chris might be announcing HoH Mythic next week - what do we know?)

If you are planning to run an Ancient Greek BoL game soon, I think it would be worth your while to invest in the pdf of the LE Heroes of Hellas if you can afford it. It is easy to convert to Mythic and gives a great Greek game.

I would just love to see a new expanded Mythic edition of HoH, particularly with the hints Chris gave of the extra material that might be included.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (10/26/2018 3:00 am)

Board footera