The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2015 11:06 am  #1

Starting Spells?

I like the idea of completely improvised magic - and I think that for some players that could really work well.

But for some other players (particularly newbies) it could be a disaster.

I've been compiling a list of all the spells and spell examples I've currently found for BOL and it makes quite a cool and flavorable list.

I also kind of like the idea of spell scrolls as treasure as well. Making the rare spells very valuable to find - and at the same time not making "Summon Greater Demon" immediately available to PCs.

So I'm wondering if anyone has come up with an alternate way of starting PC spell users?

5/24/2016 5:28 pm  #2

Re: Starting Spells?

I've been wrestling with similar questions lately, since both spellcasting PCS in my regular group are newbies to RPGs and have absolutely zero exposure to fantasy beyond certain popular movies and TV shows, let alone the pulpy fiction subgenres of S&S, S&P, etc.

To help nudge players along, I selected for conversion a sampling of spells from old-school D&D and OSR sources to create a list of sample cantrips and 1st magnitude "adventuring" spells to prompt my players.

I too like the idea of offering spell scrolls and grimoires as treasure.

5/27/2016 10:53 am  #3

FWIW, I compiled a file of 205 cantrips for use with BOL. 

I still haven't decided, but I'm leaning towards just randomly giving them spells - "This is what you were taught (Career Rank +2) and you'll like it!"

Then they can just hunt down anything else...

5/27/2016 7:03 pm  #4

205!!!

5/31/2016 1:01 pm  #5

The internet is surprisingly full! 

6/30/2016 8:32 am  #6

Would you be willing to upload those 205 cantrips for us to have a look at?

Thanks

6/30/2016 11:16 am  #7

Sure, where do you want them?

By the way, I also did 'spellbook' of all the official spells - leaving out the descriptions where they are purchasable products. There are actually around 109 spells! 

7/01/2016 4:15 am  #8

It's probably too long for a forum post (although that would be preferable if possible) - do you have Dropbox or Google Docs? 

I would be interested in the 109 spells as well, as I'm sure others would be.

If you'd like you could PM me or email me the lists and I can put them on dropbox 

Thanks!

9/17/2020 8:07 am  #9

I know I'm bumping an incredibly old thread (which is generally considered bad form) but I have to ask, has anyone ever actually compiled a list of spells that are in BoL products?

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

9/18/2020 7:56 am  #10

The GIT! wrote:

I know I'm bumping an incredibly old thread (which is generally considered bad form) but I have to ask, has anyone ever actually compiled a list of spells that are in BoL products?

Yes I did. I'll share it if anyone has anyplace to put it.

Board footera