The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/01/2015 10:48 pm  #241

Re: Barbarians of the Void

So just out of curiosity, what do people use for inspiration for equipment in BoV?
I've been toying with writing up a gear supplement for BoV, but quite frankly, all I keep coming back to is just adapting the gear write ups that already exist for Traveller and Stars Without Number.
That seems kind of pointless.
I'm just wondering if anyone has a go to book they use for gear when playing BoV.
I really like the gear in Stars Without Number, but I'll confess that using weapons that use the other polyhedron dice gives me pause as it's not "pure BoL". And yes, I am keenly aware of how silly that is

Last edited by nerosfiddle (11/01/2015 10:48 pm)

11/02/2015 12:03 pm  #242

Honestly, I tend to revert to Traveller a lot for this kind of inspiration. The fact that Traveller is also essentially a 2d6 game system tends to make it easier for me to adapt for BotV. I mainly refer to Mongoose's books, but I also refer to MegaTravaller and Classic Traveller - I've been playing Traveller for a very long time now and the box for the little black books is still just about intact! 

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

11/03/2015 7:36 am  #243

Yeah, Traveller seems to be my go to gear book too.
Fair enough.
I'll leave things as is for now.

3/29/2016 2:08 pm  #244

nerosfiddle wrote:

BotV was never meant to be an official product. It was just some thoughts I jotted down for a home brew game and I decided to share my ramblings in case anyone else wanted to do a sci fi game with BoL.

Sorry for the belated reply... 

I'm all for unofficial homebrew work, and am thankful for this great (and great-looking) product you have shared with us.  If we can't have a proper print release (I'd love to see BotV "officially adopted" into the BoL family in that way), how do you feel about unofficial, individual printings -- say, for instance, if I wanted to get a copy bound for myself via LULU?

3/30/2016 4:28 am  #245

gnombient wrote:

I'm all for unofficial homebrew work, and am thankful for this great (and great-looking) product you have shared with us.  If we can't have a proper print release (I'd love to see BotV "officially adopted" into the BoL family in that way), how do you feel about unofficial, individual printings -- say, for instance, if I wanted to get a copy bound for myself via LULU?

Well personally I don't mind at all.
If you want to have it printed and bound for your personal use, feel free.
Here's a link to the Word Document so that if you want to edit any pages for your personal game, have at it:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106432046/BOL%20Void%202.1.docx

It's slightly modified from previous versions. Mostly just minor typos that have been corrected and very minor rules clarifications here and there.

Alex

3/30/2016 8:47 am  #246

gnombient wrote:

...how do you feel about unofficial, individual printings -- say, for instance, if I wanted to get a copy bound for myself via LULU?

I have no knowledge how to use Lulu for individual printings (I've only ever purchased books from Lulu that have been made available by other authors) and I was wondering how you go about getting an individual printing made? Is it complicated and expensive?

Last edited by The GIT! (3/30/2016 8:47 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/30/2016 12:34 pm  #247

nerosfiddle wrote:

gnombient wrote:

Well personally I don't mind at all.
If you want to have it printed and bound for your personal use, feel free.
Here's a link to the Word Document so that if you want to edit any pages for your personal game, have at it:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106432046/BOL%20Void%202.1.docx

It's slightly modified from previous versions. Mostly just minor typos that have been corrected and very minor rules clarifications here and there.

Alex

Thanks Alex!  Now to make a custom cover...

3/30/2016 12:44 pm  #248

The GIT! wrote:

gnombient wrote:

...how do you feel about unofficial, individual printings -- say, for instance, if I wanted to get a copy bound for myself via LULU?

I have no knowledge how to use Lulu for individual printings (I've only ever purchased books from Lulu that have been made available by other authors) and I was wondering how you go about getting an individual printing made? Is it complicated and expensive?

I haven't actually made one before, but from what I've read about using Lulu to combine the Basic & Expert D&D books into a single volume, it seems straightforward enough.  Choose "create your print book" at Lulu, upload the formatted file(s) to be bound and a cover image, and send it off; so long as the project isn't flagged for copyright violations (which apparently happened to some folks with the single-volume B/X D&D project), all that's left to do is wait for the book to arrive...

It looks like a B&W casewrap-hardcover volume of 90 pages (85 page rules + 5 blank pages for houserules, etc.) runs $13.35 plus shipping.

3/30/2016 2:42 pm  #249

gnombient wrote:

The GIT! wrote:

gnombient wrote:

I haven't actually made one before, but from what I've read about using Lulu to combine the Basic & Expert D&D books into a single volume, it seems straightforward enough.  Choose "create your print book" at Lulu, upload the formatted file(s) to be bound and a cover image, and send it off; so long as the project isn't flagged for copyright violations (which apparently happened to some folks with the single-volume B/X D&D project), all that's left to do is wait for the book to arrive...

It looks like a B&W casewrap-hardcover volume of 90 pages (85 page rules + 5 blank pages for houserules, etc.) runs $13.35 plus shipping.

Good info - thx for sharing.

3/30/2016 2:50 pm  #250

Here's a mock-up cover for those who want something classic and minimalist... 

Board footera