The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2014 7:03 am  #1

A question on Sorcery

How is sorcery intended to be used, I’m fully happy with the implementation of the Magnitudes however where I’m unsure on the intent is with ‘spells known’. Is it totally freeform in that the Players describes what his sorcerer is attempting and it is fitted to one of the magnitudes with appropriate requirements applied (this is what I currently do). Or should spells be worked out in advance with specific requirements, that can’t later be altered? Or some mix of the two?

2/26/2014 11:19 am  #2

Re: A question on Sorcery

I, personally, do something of a mix of what you are suggesting. It requires a bit of negotiation between the player and GM, but I think it leads to some interesting spells and sorcery.

Essentially it boils down to the magician player stating what they want to do spell-wise and talking about the requirements for the spell with the GM as well as what magnitude. While it does take a bit longer than just allowing the player free-reign it helps to create an atmosphere of sorcery being weird and truly arcane.

As I said, it takes a bit longer and is something I'd only use in my home games with players who I know are on board. In a one-shot or convention setting I'd just keep it loose or offer up example spells (like the ones listed in the book) as a frame of reference for the player.

Art By Blob                                                  Legend4ry Gaming

2/26/2014 2:49 pm  #3

I always run it totally free form. If the player is into his sorcery he will prep things and have what he thinks he needs. Cantrip and 1st magnatude spells are generally the most useful to a player, trying to access higher power magics is asking for trouble (can you say catastrophic fail).
I have not had anyone play someone that is learned in Alchemy, that seems to be the more role player freindly type of wiz bang power.

2/27/2014 10:35 pm  #4

IN swords and sorcery, most of the time the caster does something new and interesting each time they cast. Free form permits this and should be encouraged. I do like themed casters so implementing that may be what you like. Use the lower of the difficulty if in line with the casters theme and the higher if not. You could also then deem anything opposed to the theme as impossible. For example, a caster who embraces the flames  could easily cast fire based magics and cast other types with a bit of difficulty, but never do anything with cold or water.

Coins, cleavage, and carnage...the three C's of Swords & Sorcery.

3/04/2014 1:51 pm  #5

All interesting takes on the rules, thanks

4/12/2014 3:04 pm  #6

I do like the new spells that G-Man has in most of his adventures.   Learning them as a specific spell might proved one requirement in the right circumstances.  (Like if you ahve the Tome they are in...)

4/12/2014 7:31 pm  #7

I intend to have sorcerers choose different types of magic similar to those listed in ZeFRS. Each rank will allow a different magic category but no  sorcerer will be able to know all magic. This will be combined with the ideas about Vancian magic suggested here...http://championsoflemuria.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=65#p65

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

Board footera