The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2014 2:44 pm  #21

Re: Knock yourselves out

I gave it a once over, I don't see any major changes to the core game. It looks like the Brawl stat is out and an Initiative stat is in. The extra info on battles and advice on stats is nice. It will make for a longer read but newer palyers will probably like the extra notes.

2/27/2014 12:33 pm  #22

*does a happy dance* Thank you!! I missed it the 1st time around and I'm so happy to give this a try!!! I will let you know what I think.

2/28/2014 7:50 am  #23

First: Thanks for the opportunity to see the "new" rules (various real life issues meant I had to miss the playtesting opportunities)
I've only had a brief read through, mostly of the rules rather than setting, and a few things leapt out:
Most obvious was the removal of "brawl" and addtion of "initiative" ~ at first glance this seemed to introduce a bit of a "dump" stat, but on reading the naval combat rules, I realised how important initiative could be outside of combat (espcially if used to determine actions in chases as in Dicey Tales rules) and allows an effective "non-combat" focussed character! (not very "sword and sorcery" perhaps...)
Also, really like the revised damage rules.  It did take a moment for me to understand that if a character has -1 strength, using some weapons/ attacks (such as brawl) that use 1/2 STR (rounded down) this would mean they would still subtract 1 from damage (-0.5 rounds down to -1)!
Finally, the monster stats and boons; I always thought there was a minor issue around creatures having -ve Mind stats meaning their perception rolls would be low.  Now several creatures have 0 or +ve Mind, as well as suitable boons for hunting, alleviating this "issue".
Finally, I really like the suggested boons/flaws and adventure ideas for the careers.
Again, thanks Simon for the preview and hope that something around publication can be sorted!

2/28/2014 12:52 pm  #24

grey wrote:

Finally, I really like the suggested boons/flaws and adventure ideas for the careers. 

This is one of my favorite parts, actually! Anything that can make the life of the GM and the players a little easier is always alright in my book. 

Art By Blob                                                  Legend4ry Gaming

3/06/2014 9:13 am  #25

Simon W wrote:

So, anyone else read through it yet?

I LOT late to the party, I know, but I've just read the new material.

I love all the changes that were made. The game was already a gem, but you managed to make it even more precious.

Regarding the optional idea for 4 groups of stats, I'd say a BIG NO!
Generally speaking, a game's stats define what the game tries to have the spotlight on. The 4 groups of stats are combat based, and BoL is already a great game combat-wise. Giving even more options to min-max characters like that will push the meter beyond the limits.
See, the swords & sorcery genre is combat heavy? It MAY BE, but it's not always the case. That's why the character sheet has an EVEN distribution of "combat stats" (the battle bones) and "careers" (the background bones). Altering the balance may do more bad than good.

Marcelo "Fermmoylle" Paschoalin
Brazilian Novelist and RPG author

3/06/2014 10:53 am  #26

Fermmoylle wrote:

Simon W wrote:

So, anyone else read through it yet?

I LOT late to the party, I know, but I've just read the new material.

I love all the changes that were made. The game was already a gem, but you managed to make it even more precious.

Regarding the optional idea for 4 groups of stats, I'd say a BIG NO!
Generally speaking, a game's stats define what the game tries to have the spotlight on. The 4 groups of stats are combat based, and BoL is already a great game combat-wise. Giving even more options to min-max characters like that will push the meter beyond the limits.
See, the swords & sorcery genre is combat heavy? It MAY BE, but it's not always the case. That's why the character sheet has an EVEN distribution of "combat stats" (the battle bones) and "careers" (the background bones). Altering the balance may do more bad than good.

Yeah, they pretty much got a universal "no" from everyone when first unveiled!

3/07/2014 12:15 pm  #27

Yeah, they pretty much got a universal "no" from everyone when first unveiled!

Not quite universal then. I will admit that I have not had the chance to consider the ramifications of the new abilities added with this option, but I think some more options would take away from the chance to Min/Max. As it stands now players can easily min/max a starting PC. More options might make that a bit more difficult. I am not saying that these specific options would do such, but any that could would be positive in my opinion.

I have a setup that I am considering that uses 8 attributes and 6 combat abilities while still only allowing the 4 points spent per area. While I do very much like the system, my experiences have been that starting PC's can be extremely powerful. I myself prefer a bit lower power level.

We had an archer in a game that had a 3 agility and 2 in ranged that pretty much never missed and was far too powerful in my opinion, an the same can be managed with any facet of the game.

The great thing about Bol ios that it is very easy to mod and adapt to make it it work from most any perspective.

3/13/2014 2:00 am  #28

A pair of questions/suggestions:

Recovering Lost Lifeblood (page 12)
If you lose an odd number of LB, how many point do you recover after the battle? Do you round up or down? So, if I lose 7 LB, do I get back 3 or 4 LB points immediately after the engagement?

I am incluined to say "round up" due to the nature of the game (mythic heroes) but to be sure. It would be OK to include that in the rules for clarity

Mounted combat?
I see a reference to cavalry when it talks to the armies of Lemuria in chapter 4, but not any rules for mounted combat. Are there any or is it just like fighting on foot? I can accept both options with equal ease.

In general I see a whole new chapter on larger engagements and rules for sky boats and the like (good). However, there are not many options for smaller engagement tactics that tend to be fairly common (rules for charges, mounted combat or ganging up on a single opponent... or be ganged up by the opposition!) and I cannot find rules for cooperation (example: Rork Kozaar and Krongar collaborating to move a weighty item). My group would certainly appreciate those to be present above the need for rules to decide sea battles and sieges for sure, since these tend to be seen as story events that they influence, but not something that require rules (the GM is there for that!). Just a suggestion

Cheers,
Xavi

3/28/2014 5:42 pm  #29

The link is still up so I grabbed the latest version.  I will look through it and try to find time to play it.

5/31/2014 6:55 am  #30

I love the adventure ideas connected to the character careers, but really think those ought to be moved over to the GM section so that players won't see them while creating their characters.

Board footera