The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2015 2:03 am  #231

Re: Barbarians of the Void

Been following this thread for quite a while. Love the BotV, and am currently trying to convert (plunder) it to The Expanse setting (James Corey´s Leviathan Wakes etc), for a one-off I plan to run. If I end up with something useful, I will post it.

Also looking into a Star Wars conversion (I know there are some attempts out there already, but they seem a little fiddly and divert from the original BOL rules IMO).

Too much, too young...

8/24/2015 7:39 pm  #232

Here's a question with regards to starship construction and starship boons - has any thought been given to how much cargo space is actually available when a ship has the Dedicated Cargo Bay boon?

This also kind of raises the question about what, exactly, does ship size actually equate to? I know the boon Capital Ship supposedly covers the issue of super sized ships but, in reality, it doesn't cover everything; the number of boons a ship starts with is based on...its ship size...surely a capital ship should always be based on a default size before the Capital Ship boon is chosen? Then, when said ship takes the Dedicated Cargo Bay boon how much does it get when compared to a regular sized ship?

I know the game is supposed to be quite abstract in the tradition of BoL but, in my gaming experience, whenever Sci-Fi games are played the issue of cargo space and trade/commerce becomes a big issue.

My initial thought is to base the Dedicated Cargo Bay on the ship size - for example Ship Size x 10 tons. If a ship has any unspent boon slots it can have a cargo hold of Ship Size x 5 / unspent boon - this can stack with the Dedicated Cargo Bay boon (which can also be taken multiple times to increase the size of the hold).

Capital Ships with cargo bays should be 10 times greater than the above calculation to reflect their far greater size (I chose the x 10 muliplier to keep it consistent with the combat adjustments).

These are just some very basic ideas and I really haven't thrashed out the math but I thought I'd put it out here for some further discussion.

Thoughts?

Last edited by The GIT! (8/26/2015 4:58 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

8/26/2015 5:27 am  #233

Here is an attempt at a hack of BotV-rules with the setting from the Expanse (Leviathan Wakes). Setting + rules are done for an iBook. Open the link in your email on an iPad or iPhone, choose "open in iBook" and voila.

Called it The Void to not alert players about the Expanse/LW-plot used in the scenario. Good fun. No ship rules yet, however, so refer to BotV for anything missing.

What say ye?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzem5sigqjkd0f7/The%20Void%20v1.1.ibooks?oref=e

And the Char.sheet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8omxhdaecyq1tw/The_Void_CS_2.1.1.pdf?oref=e

/I donate my body to science... fiction.

Last edited by badmojo (8/26/2015 6:27 am)

Too much, too young...

8/26/2015 10:36 am  #234

badmojo wrote:

Here is an attempt at a hack of BotV-rules with the setting from the Expanse (Leviathan Wakes). Setting + rules are done for an iBook. Open the link in your email on an iPad or iPhone, choose "open in iBook" and voila.

Called it The Void to not alert players about the Expanse/LW-plot used in the scenario. Good fun. No ship rules yet, however, so refer to BotV for anything missing.

What say ye?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzem5sigqjkd0f7/The%20Void%20v1.1.ibooks?oref=e

And the Char.sheet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8omxhdaecyq1tw/The_Void_CS_2.1.1.pdf?oref=e

/I donate my body to science... fiction.

Hi

Sounds great - any chance of getting the book in a pdf format? Personally, I tend to use iBooks for novels etc and I keep my gamebooks separate and use Adobe Reader on my iPad to read. Further, not everyone will be able to read epub as Kindles et al may use different formats such as mobi. A pdf book is, in many regards, far more versatile for gaming purposes because most ereaders can open a pdf and it can also be used on a PC or laptop.

Just my own opinion is all.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

8/26/2015 11:24 am  #235

Hi The Git,

Sure, it was done as an iBook as an experiment of sorts, with maps of the Solar System, the star range chart etc for easy player reference during play, and to have the sci-fi images used as illustrations really "pop". 

Last edited by badmojo (8/26/2015 11:25 am)

Too much, too young...

8/26/2015 3:19 pm  #236

OK - so I've loaded the book on my iPad and in iBooks on my Mac. First of all - great presentation! This is a nice book (although it took me a couple of minutes to figure that reading it in landscape format is where it really shines).

I've not had a chance to read it yet; just a quick scan through so far. Can I suggest that you re-utilise the image on page 11? I know the career is for entertainer but that image (great as it is) is really more suitable for an android/robot/cyborg description (which BTW I really think we need to develop for BotV as a race).

Also, as an aside, the image you used for Merchant/Smuggler is the same one I've been using for my Merchant Prince character in the Traveller campaign a friend of mine is running

Last edited by The GIT! (8/26/2015 3:20 pm)

9/11/2015 12:13 pm  #237

The GIT! wrote:

Here's a question with regards to starship construction and starship boons - has any thought been given to how much cargo space is actually available when a ship has the Dedicated Cargo Bay boon?

This also kind of raises the question about what, exactly, does ship size actually equate to? I know the boon Capital Ship supposedly covers the issue of super sized ships but, in reality, it doesn't cover everything; the number of boons a ship starts with is based on...its ship size...surely a capital ship should always be based on a default size before the Capital Ship boon is chosen? Then, when said ship takes the Dedicated Cargo Bay boon how much does it get when compared to a regular sized ship?

I know the game is supposed to be quite abstract in the tradition of BoL but, in my gaming experience, whenever Sci-Fi games are played the issue of cargo space and trade/commerce becomes a big issue.

My initial thought is to base the Dedicated Cargo Bay on the ship size - for example Ship Size x 10 tons. If a ship has any unspent boon slots it can have a cargo hold of Ship Size x 5 / unspent boon - this can stack with the Dedicated Cargo Bay boon (which can also be taken multiple times to increase the size of the hold).

Capital Ships with cargo bays should be 10 times greater than the above calculation to reflect their far greater size (I chose the x 10 muliplier to keep it consistent with the combat adjustments).

These are just some very basic ideas and I really haven't thrashed out the math but I thought I'd put it out here for some further discussion.

Thoughts?

I like the proposed breakdown.
Ten tons per size rating of a ship with Dedicated Cargo Bay is a good round number. 
I'd just point out that for ships that have a size of 0, a 10 ton minimum should be in effect if they have the cargo bay boon. Yes, this might mean that a size 0 and a size 1 ship would have equal amounts of cargo room in their respective bays, but I have no issue with that.

For unspent boon slots however, I think 5 tons per is a bit much. 
I'd reduce it to 1 ton per free boon slot, but that's just me.

9/14/2015 5:20 am  #238

badmojo wrote:

Hi The Git,

Sure, it was done as an iBook as an experiment of sorts, with maps of the Solar System, the star range chart etc for easy player reference during play, and to have the sci-fi images used as illustrations really "pop". 

I was wondering if you have made any updates to your epub docuement since it was uploaded? Personally I think it's aterrific document and I'd love to know how you went about creating the epub.

I was also wondering if you might post some examples of adventures you plan to run in The Expanse setting?

9/14/2015 5:26 am  #239

nerosfiddle wrote:

I like the proposed breakdown.
Ten tons per size rating of a ship with Dedicated Cargo Bay is a good round number. 
I'd just point out that for ships that have a size of 0, a 10 ton minimum should be in effect if they have the cargo bay boon. Yes, this might mean that a size 0 and a size 1 ship would have equal amounts of cargo room in their respective bays, but I have no issue with that.

For unspent boon slots however, I think 5 tons per is a bit much. 
I'd reduce it to 1 ton per free boon slot, but that's just me.

Good point about Size 0 ships.

With regard to unspent boons I still feel that the available cargo space should be scaled in some way with the Ship Size. How about this as a compromise - 0.5 x Size (min 1) for each unspent boon slot? This is still pretty small but at least it recognizes that boons on larger ships probably take up more space than they do on smaller vessels.

9/14/2015 9:10 am  #240

badmojo wrote:

Hi The Git,

One thing I noticed is that the book is in "ibooks" format rather than epub. This could be a problem as ibooks is very specific to Apple. If you at least convert the file to epub format then people may be able to read the book on a pc using ebook reader software.

Board footera