The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2015 12:25 pm  #1

At which point does a fight become a battle?

Hi!

So, we know a battle can be a fairly broad term, even if it's essentially two or more large groups of people fighting each other for some reason or another. For huge groups and out of the heroes scope events, it seems obvious to me to use the battles rules. But for smaller events, I wasn't so sure as how to deal with it.

Two exemples from my last session (the first had me as the GM, the second had another player take the role of GM, since we like to switch GM so that everyone gets to be a PC).

#1 : The Tavern Ambush
On one side, twenty armed guards of Satarla are waiting in a deserted tavern that contains a secret way inside the Skyboats' Fortress. On the other, the PCs, one of which is a pirate captain with a crew of ten on his side, treated as rabble except for three NPCs treated as Toughs.

I decided to use the battle rules while the PCs fought they're own fights during the larger battle, but what happened was that, even though it helped make things more fluid as I didn't have to roll for anything except against PCs (instead of rolling against myself for all the NPCs, which would be boring), but eventually the party finished the last of the guards at around 5/8, so the battle in itself could have taken much more longer. It was also the longest combat we had since using BoL (Legendary before, Mythic for the first time this time).

#2 Two Boats, a Hundred Bandits
It's the overused cliché of the bandits attacking boats down the river and trying to secure loot off from it. Except this time, we (I was a PC) were with the bandits and trying to seize a convoy of healing herbs to redistribute to the people (at a fair price) of Satarla to help them fight off the plague (that may or may not be an indirect consequence of us destroying the skyhawk, thus weakening greatly a Jewel of Lemuria that already lost its hedge a campaign ago when we built our own city protected by the only pirate to ever own a sky-boat (it seems every time we play BoL, someone makes a pirate and somehow the story revolves around them, yarrr).

Anyway, this time, the GM that wasn't me didn't use the battles rule as he hadn't read them yet, so we fought against one Villain, eight elite guards tough, eleven tyrus longbowmen toughs (yes) and around twenty rabbles. It was a hard fight, but we eventually won. But it was a long fight, mostly because the GM is new at GMing and we had a few problems communicating, which made things even slower. Even without that, it was long because of the sheer number of our enemies.

So the question here is, at which point does a fight become a battle? What are your thoughts on my two exemples, did you run into the same issue running either Mythic or H+H (or any BoL game while using this rule)?

Crush your enemies
See them driven before you.
Hear the lamentations of their women.

5/29/2015 10:46 am  #2

Re: At which point does a fight become a battle?

That is a good question.
In my game:
the first scenario- I would have handled it with normal combat rules.BOL can handle up to 50 rabbles with no problem. IMHO Usually after a few rounds the players will roll a Legendary success and whittle down the rabbles quickly. Sometime the players roll crap and get in trouble. That's what Hero Points are for. . . . If it is a 'non plot point' combat and I don't want the characters to get beat down; I will just have the rabble lose heart and retreat. Keep in mind they are not Heroes and dying in battle is beyond most rabbles pay grade.This usually makes the players nervous and they start speculating whay the rabble took off. Good game play to keep the players guessing.It also shortens the combat if the players are getting boared. 

The second scenario- I would handle it with the combat system.The two major factors that i would use to indicate a battle is the amount of enemies and the fact that the PCs are fighting alongside NPC soldiers/ followers. My main thought in designing the combat system was to make the PCs/ Players success and failure affect their followers. This makes them buy in and take it personal when the Friendly NPC soldiers die. I have had players name the dead soldiers and yell for vengeance.(fun stuff) I also wanted to abridge the large combat and make it feel very individual, following the theme of Sword & Sorcery. The NPCs engage individual enemies and then are told in decsription what is happening in the rest of the battle.

Your game sounds fun . . . .

5/30/2015 3:18 am  #3

Hi!
Yeah, with time, that's what I'm thinking now, it would have been way easier (and faster) this way.
And well, our game is a can of awesome because we're a bunch of old friends seeing each others every now and then to play RPGs, so when we do, we do it to the max haha. Like, next time (I won't be the GM), we're going to go look for the Swamp Hydra, because apparently it is the venom of those creatures that, if treated, can cure the plague. Inside the ship was one of those, chained and asleep. SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

Crush your enemies

6/02/2015 7:44 am  #4

Wizard Lizard wrote:

Hi!
Yeah, with time, that's what I'm thinking now, it would have been way easier (and faster) this way.
And well, our game is a can of awesome because we're a bunch of old friends seeing each others every now and then to play RPGs, so when we do, we do it to the max haha. Like, next time (I won't be the GM), we're going to go look for the Swamp Hydra, because apparently it is the venom of those creatures that, if treated, can cure the plague. Inside the ship was one of those, chained and asleep. SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

Sounds Awesome!  Please do some game reports!

It is true that the people make the game. We get all pedantic about rules and stuff. It all really doesn't matter as much as gaming with cool friends. Rules can't stop people from wrecking a game.

Last edited by umungus (6/02/2015 7:46 am)

6/02/2015 9:31 am  #5

Actually, I'm supposed to record every game I do.
I tend to...forget. This was and the last one (yesterday) were times when I forgot, sorry mate.
Next time I do think of recording a BoL session, I'll make an english-version transcript for people to read, I know I'd love to have more of those at hand but apart from the japanese (who play in japanese), I never see full-on actual plays in text format. English is great...when you speak english everyday.

Crush your enemies

Board footera