The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2015 3:53 am  #1

The classics: Vance, Leiber, Moorcock, Howard...

Hello,
Did anybody try a conversion of BOL to the classics? Like BOL-Lankhmar or BOL-Elric?

4/08/2015 3:00 pm  #2

Re: The classics: Vance, Leiber, Moorcock, Howard...

Not yet...but I have all the Lankhmar games and I really don't see why it they couldn't be placed in Lemuria.

4/09/2015 8:33 pm  #3

Agreed, BoL Lankhmar would be a really straightforward conversion.  Elric would definitely be more involved, but you could ease the process a bit by hacking stuff from the Chaosium Stormbringer/Elric lines.  (On the other hand, Moorcock's Hawkmoon -- a superior series to Elric, IMHO -- would be a much easier conversion, especially if you have BotV or BotA at your disposal.)

Last edited by gnombient (4/09/2015 8:35 pm)

4/21/2015 2:14 pm  #4

Somebody, somewhere, at some time, worked up some Hyborian Age material.  You can find it here.

Where's my axe?

4/22/2015 3:41 am  #5

I cannot download it. Could you place it at box or sth?

Bow to Satan!!!

4/22/2015 9:20 am  #6

When I saw the ads for the new Savage Worlds: Lankhmar Unleashed, I immediately thought, "too bad there isn't a BoL version, it would be a perfect fit for the setting." 

On a somewhat related note, I recently read elsewhere a forum thread (rpg.net I think, but I can't find it now) about RPG inspirations where the OP was wondering to what extent younger players were familiar with the classic S&S, S&P, "Appendix N"-type stuff.  The general consensus, with which I fully (and sadly) agree, was "not much if at all."

When I first introduced BoL to the Bookstore Boys (ranging from 3rd through 8th grade) I actually recommended they read the Lankhmar stories, and other fun swashbuckling stuff like Conan, Kull, Burroughs' Barsoom tales, etc.  They listened with mild interest to my enthusiastic sales pitch, looked at the modest stack of paperbacks I was ready to loan them, and said, "those books look old."  And that was that... 

4/22/2015 10:37 am  #7

In many ways it's even worse than that. I presently run games for two different game groups - I would say that 90% of my players haven't read any Howard, Burroughs, Leiber, Lin Carter etc. Sure, they've read the comics and seen the movies but that's about it. I'm talking experienced gamers who are in their 30s and 40s.

Needless to say, books such as LotR et al are very popular with them as are modern titles such as the Dresden Files - I just can't get them to read the old classic S&S, S&P etc.

Funny thing is a few of them have read Lovecraft, they love playing pulp style games, and they are keen for me to run a Conan style game

Last edited by The GIT! (4/22/2015 10:38 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

4/22/2015 10:42 am  #8

Mruf wrote:

Me either.

I never did find out why the Yahoo Group was shut down.

Presumably because it was just an extra thing to administer?

But it seems like this would be a good place to keep stuff like this.

Would anyone object if I created a new Barbarians of Lemuria Yahoo Group?

Last edited by michaeltaylor (4/22/2015 10:54 am)

4/23/2015 5:23 am  #9

I totally agree Leiber's Nehwon would be a perfect setting for BoL and even though I absolutely love Moorcock, it would be really hard to focus on one aspect of his Multiverse to play in.

4/24/2015 8:35 am  #10

Mruf wrote:

Sorry about that.  I just ran across the link.  Try here.  This is from poster Urbwar.

Where's my axe?

Board footera