The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2015 11:31 am  #191

Re: Crimson Blades Sword & Sorcery RPG

It comes at the cost of sacrifice one HD. Gang up is the serious stress, isn't it enough to grant a bonus for all other combatants?

Yeah, Simon... Maybe Venomous Filigree?

Last edited by Mruf (3/03/2015 3:41 am)

Bow to Satan!!!

3/05/2015 1:47 am  #192

It seems that in the People, Animals, and Undead section HP are done the standard way 2d+1 is roll two dice and add 1 for a possible 13 HP. But, for the PC's it seems the HD option is not equal. A PC with 2d+1 with no CON bonus would have a max 7HP. Is this correct?

3/05/2015 6:16 am  #193

hoplitenomad wrote:

A PC with 2d+1 with no CON bonus would have a max 7HP. Is this correct?

That is how I've understood it until now. Simon, of course, is the only one who can give an official answer but I think you're right in your summation.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/05/2015 7:27 am  #194

A character with 2D+1 HD (say, a 4th level thief) will have rolled a D6+1 for HP at level 1 (unless the GM allows max HP at 1st level). When he reaches 2nd level, he rolls D6+2. If this is higher than his previous total, this becomes his new HP. Otherwise his HP remains as is till 3rd level. At 3rd level, the player rolls 2D6 - again, if this is higher, this becomes his new HP total. At 4th level, he rolls 2D6+1 to try to exceed his current HP total. Basically, each level, the player rolls his HP again. It only increases or stays the same.

So, say the thief had 7HP at 1st level. He gets to level 2 and the player rolls 5 (including the +2) - his HP don't alter. At level 3, the player rolls 9. The thief now has 9HP. At level 4, the player rolls 13 (12 on 2D6 plus the +1). This becomes his new HP total.

So, in answer to your question, the max HP of a 2D+1 HD character is 13.

3/05/2015 9:01 am  #195

Well that makes sense and will teach me to read the book again before answering
While we're on the subject, is there any particular reason why hit points are rolled in this manner (as opposed to just adding hit points as the character increases in level)?

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/05/2015 10:29 am  #196

The GIT! wrote:

Well that makes sense and will teach me to read the book again before answering
While we're on the subject, is there any particular reason why hit points are rolled in this manner (as opposed to just adding hit points as the character increases in level)?

That's just how I saw it worked in OD&D, although I could be wrong.

Also, the system is underpinned by HD being both to determine HP and to determine attack rolls. I didn't want the classes having too many dice for their attacks. It took a lot of careful thought to get the balance.

A few more playtests recently showed it generally works ok, but a few tweaks might still be needed to get it just right.

Last edited by Simon W (3/05/2015 10:38 am)

3/05/2015 11:11 am  #197

I fully understand the intention about HD being used to determine attack rolls and, hence, the reason to keep the number of HD at a manageable level. In fact, I think it works brilliantly and is a very inspired game mechanic.

My question was more about the possibility of just rolling the additional HD when you achieve the necessary level and adding the HP to the previous total. While I am writing this, however, I realise the real genius behind your design and now ask you to ignore my previous question
The idea that a really poor HP roll at a particular level does not have to remain with the character forever is a great idea.

Crimson Blades continues to impress me more and more!

Last edited by The GIT! (3/05/2015 11:12 am)

3/05/2015 10:12 pm  #198

Thanks for the quick answer Simon. I agree now that I am revisiting the game with the hopes of running it it is quite impressive. CB and BOL are just great bits of game design. I do have one more question. Since the HD seems to be lower in CB any suggestion in how to import other OSR people, creatures etc... to CB.  Perhaps halving the HD?

Last edited by hoplitenomad (3/05/2015 10:15 pm)

3/05/2015 10:29 pm  #199

There are many fantasy creatures, including mighty dragons. Manipulation with HD, feats and AC can give all kinds of creatures. We have got the base of the pyramid and the peak, what is in between depends on certain GM. Manticores, ogres... n/p

Last edited by Mruf (3/05/2015 10:30 pm)

Bow to Satan!!!

3/09/2015 12:01 am  #200

Hi! I'm a long-time player of BoL - since the early days of the free edition - and recently got back into things and discovered CB. It looks like a great streamlined approach to classic D&D style play, and I was just wondering what the future plans where for the system? Is the boxed set/four books approach still the idea? If so, how much will the system be changed or expanded?

Cheers,

Christopher

Board footera