The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2015 8:46 am  #1

BoL Mars

Has anyone done a Mars/Barsoom treatment with the BoL rules?

2/22/2015 11:39 am  #2

Re: BoL Mars

capmarvel wrote:

Has anyone done a Mars/Barsoom treatment with the BoL rules?

There was going to be a version of Cavaliers of Mars using BoL but so far, nothing more has happened on this.

BoL Everywhen might include a sword & planet mini setting I was originally working on called Warriors (or Barbarians) of Callisto...but Phil might need to pop in to confirm or deny this.   

2/23/2015 1:49 pm  #3

I would be intersted in Sword and Planet rules for BoL. I just read Lin Carter's Green Star series over Christmas and am reading the Dray Prescot series by Alan Burt Akers (Kenneth Bulmer). I am taking a break from that series after the current book I am reading, Warrior of Scorpio, to read the Callisto series, also by Lin Carter. 

2/23/2015 2:09 pm  #4

neal2099 wrote:

I would be intersted in Sword and Planet rules for BoL. I just read Lin Carter's Green Star series over Christmas and am reading the Dray Prescot series by Alan Burt Akers (Kenneth Bulmer). I am taking a break from that series after the current book I am reading, Warrior of Scorpio, to read the Callisto series, also by Lin Carter. 

I need to read the Green Star Series - I finished the Jandar of Callisto series last year.

2/23/2015 2:31 pm  #5

Paragaea - A Planetary Romance by Chris Roberson is an entertaining read. Not LotR but good fun and perfect material for a Sword and Planet version of BoL.
Also the Under the moons of Zoon RPG available free from Drivethru is worth a look for conversion or ideas.
Cheers
Dave
PS - if it will now let me add links:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paragaea-Planetary-Romance-Chris-Roberson/dp/1591024447
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/119991/Under-the-Moons-of-Zoon

Last edited by gevrin (2/23/2015 2:34 pm)

2/23/2015 5:02 pm  #6

Thanks to everyone for the book ideas.  I just downloaded Under the Moons of Zoon.   I wish I had the time (and talent) to do a BoL Mars book - I think it's a "no brainer" for a supplement.  (Again, wish I had the brain for it).

Last edited by capmarvel (2/23/2015 5:02 pm)

2/23/2015 5:15 pm  #7

Not sure I have the mind for it either, but if a few of us were willing to put our minds together I think we could come up with something. The first question that needs answered it what do we need rules for that are not already covered? Things that come to mind, as I see it, are rules for sky vehicles and combat, psionics, strange science, and sword and planet ranged weapons. I would like to see ideas that would cover the genre from Flash Gordon to John Carter.

2/23/2015 5:21 pm  #8

Sounds like neal2099 just volunteered!   

PS: re-reading Alex Raymond's "Flash Gordon" strips now - still good after 81 years.

2/23/2015 5:50 pm  #9

capmarvel, I am more of an idea man, coming up with playable rules is not my thing. I would gladly head up a team to brainstorm on it if there was interest. Something else that came to mind is a need for "before I left Earth I was a...." Careers.

PS: Also recently read the Alex Raymond Strips and highly recommend any Flash Gordon comics by Al Williamson.

Last edited by neal2099 (2/23/2015 5:51 pm)

2/23/2015 5:59 pm  #10

I also have a book reprinting all the original Buck Rogers strips....these don't hold up as well.   But they are interesting - amazing the racism and sexism, etc. that was allowed back when.

I also am an "idea man" (if you can call my ideas worthy of "ideas").  I've editted RPG's but have never written one (in fact I was one of the BoL:Mythic proofreaders).   Maybe if we keep harping on it we'll get enough volunteers....

Your "before I left Earth" thought is already better than anything I would come up with.   Of course not every character need be from Earth ...some may be native Martians, etc.

Board footera