The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2015 2:59 pm  #1

Swashbuckling in BoL

First of all, I'm aware of Honor + Intrigue, and whilst a very good game, it is making BoL a bit too complex imo. The combat option below is inspired by Fate Swashbuckling Duels with a hint of Advantage from H+I. Thoughts?

Combat in Swashbuckling BoL is all about gaining the edge over your opponent and keeping it. You can gain the edge by taunting, insulting, conducting a flashy move - anything that might cause your foe to be distracted, enraged, etc. When you have the edge your attack rolls are made with a bonus dice whilst your opponent has a penalty dice applied to his attack rolls. If you have the edge and your opponent should get a successful attack on you, you can, if you wish, give up your edge instead of taking damage.

The last person to succeed in a noncombat task roll against his opponent is considered to have the edge.

You lose the edge when your opponent gains it, or you choose to deflect an attack against you.

1/12/2015 12:08 pm  #2

Re: Swashbuckling in BoL

First of all I think H+I is an awesome game and adds just the right amount of complexity to suit my needs. That said, I fully understand that the added complexity the different combat manoeuvres provide is too much for many BoL players. To add a swashbuckling element to a BoL game without the H+I combat manoeuvres I would recommend just using the Advantage mechanic on its own. It's a very simple mechanic, works very well, and can also be utilised for diseases, poisons etc on top of combat and social task resolutions.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

1/12/2015 12:12 pm  #3

BTW - the main reason I suggest this instead of using your edge is to accommodate multiple combatants fighting each other in a single scene. It feels to me that your suggested edge rule will really only work between two combatants in a one-on-one duel (but I could be wrong).

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

1/13/2015 6:24 am  #4

I see what The Git means about Edge only being workable in 1-to-1 duels; but I see that as a feature, not a bug.

I think that the tricks and flashy moves that it is trying to simulate should really only come into play in the climatic fights between the PCs and the Big Bad and/or their top-killer henchmen (of which there should only be a couple at most).The usual rules should be fine for fighting the Villain's minions and lesser henchmen. 

I will give Edge a try when I finally get to run a game I've half-written, which is set in 1730s Rome.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (1/13/2015 6:25 am)

My real name is Steve Hall

1/13/2015 11:15 am  #5

For me any rule that can only be used in 1-on-1 duels is a limiting factor. I prefer a rule that can be used both in 1-on-1 and mulitple opponent duels because of the extra flexibility it offers. I have no problem using taunting, insulting, and flashy moves to give you a bonus (use of Repartee in H+I) but I still believe the sliding scale of the Advantage rule in H+I is a better method of tracking any edge or advantage the character actually has.

Board footera