The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2015 11:59 am  #1

Swashbuckling in BoL

First of all, I'm aware of Honor + Intrigue, and whilst a very good game, it is making BoL a bit too complex imo. The combat option below is inspired by Fate Swashbuckling Duels with a hint of Advantage from H+I. Thoughts?

Combat in Swashbuckling BoL is all about gaining the edge over your opponent and keeping it. You can gain the edge by taunting, insulting, conducting a flashy move - anything that might cause your foe to be distracted, enraged, etc. When you have the edge your attack rolls are made with a bonus dice whilst your opponent has a penalty dice applied to his attack rolls. If you have the edge and your opponent should get a successful attack on you, you can, if you wish, give up your edge instead of taking damage.

The last person to succeed in a noncombat task roll against his opponent is considered to have the edge.

You lose the edge when your opponent gains it, or you choose to deflect an attack against you.

1/12/2015 9:08 am  #2

Re: Swashbuckling in BoL

First of all I think H+I is an awesome game and adds just the right amount of complexity to suit my needs. That said, I fully understand that the added complexity the different combat manoeuvres provide is too much for many BoL players. To add a swashbuckling element to a BoL game without the H+I combat manoeuvres I would recommend just using the Advantage mechanic on its own. It's a very simple mechanic, works very well, and can also be utilised for diseases, poisons etc on top of combat and social task resolutions.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

1/12/2015 9:12 am  #3

BTW - the main reason I suggest this instead of using your edge is to accommodate multiple combatants fighting each other in a single scene. It feels to me that your suggested edge rule will really only work between two combatants in a one-on-one duel (but I could be wrong).

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

1/13/2015 3:24 am  #4

I see what The Git means about Edge only being workable in 1-to-1 duels; but I see that as a feature, not a bug.

I think that the tricks and flashy moves that it is trying to simulate should really only come into play in the climatic fights between the PCs and the Big Bad and/or their top-killer henchmen (of which there should only be a couple at most).The usual rules should be fine for fighting the Villain's minions and lesser henchmen. 

I will give Edge a try when I finally get to run a game I've half-written, which is set in 1730s Rome.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (1/13/2015 3:25 am)

My real name is Steve Hall

1/13/2015 8:15 am  #5

For me any rule that can only be used in 1-on-1 duels is a limiting factor. I prefer a rule that can be used both in 1-on-1 and mulitple opponent duels because of the extra flexibility it offers. I have no problem using taunting, insulting, and flashy moves to give you a bonus (use of Repartee in H+I) but I still believe the sliding scale of the Advantage rule in H+I is a better method of tracking any edge or advantage the character actually has.

1/16/2022 10:23 am  #6

Gruntfuttock wrote:

I will give Edge a try when I finally get to run a game I've half-written, which is set in 1730s Rome.

Well, six years on and a follow-up question, how about that?

I was looking for something else and this comment intrigued me. I've been reading around EME history stuff for an Italin-ish fantasy campaign. Did you ever run this? What did you have in mind, swashbuckling Jesuit "pope's commandos"? French mercenaries to fight the various small wars? Nobody seems to care about anything south of Toscana when they plan an Italian game (regardless of period).

1/18/2022 7:35 am  #7

Hi Barrataria! Sorry it's taken two days to get back to you.

I never did run the game, but I have all my notes and it may get an outing in future. The game was set in the real world and was an occult game with no magic - as in, people were performing magical rituals including human sacrifice, but none of it worked! The occultists either believed that they needed to develop their skills, or had made an error, but soon they would achieve a successful spell - or else they were nuts and thought that it had worked anyway. The PCs would be drawn into investigating the occultist's activities on behalf of a Cardinal, and would probably start off believing that there was magic involved.

The game period was set back to 1720, as I wanted loads of unemployed ex-soldiers from the War of Spanish Succession wandering around looking for employment. A useful source of muscle for both cultists and investigators. Although the game started in Italy, the trail didn't head south, but north: Marseille, Paris, Bruges, Amsterdam, and finally a nice big Gothic castle in Germany for a showdown.

I did however run a 'French Musketeers' style game of agents working for Cardinal Richelieu in the late 1620s where I introduced swashbuckling rules. These were a development/expansion of the rules found in the Everywhen supplement 'Pulse Pounding Pulp'. I just tweaked the basic rules (which work fine) for a more 17th Century flavour. 

Sorry, The Git, I kept to 1 to 1 dueling. A third party entering the frey automatically switches the combat to the usual rules. 

My real name is Steve Hall

1/18/2022 1:49 pm  #8

Haha, thanks for the reply... two days to catch a six year old thread necro is pretty prompt!

Your swashbuckling sounds pretty great... but no stop in Avignon? There's gotta be some ancient mystery there somewhere!

It's not in the right time period, but sometime you might check out "The Cheese and the Worms" by Carlo Ginzburg. It's a really interesting account of a heretic peasant, his theology, and his trial. He also wrote "The Night Battles" about the Roman inquisition and its cases but I never read that one. Happy haunting!

2/01/2022 12:52 pm  #9

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Sorry, The Git, I kept to 1 to 1 dueling. A third party entering the frey automatically switches the combat to the usual rules. 

I am very upset that you didn't just accept my take on this discussion 
Actually, I am rather intrigued about the game you mentioned running, where magic doesn't actually work. I love the idea of crazy occultists thinking magic is real, and then the PCs being drawn in and also believing it works. I am giving serious thought to trying this out myself.

I haven't read the Pulse Pounding Pulp rules yet, even though I purchased the book a while back. Guess I should check it out. Also, it's good to see some more activity on these boards.

Last edited by The GIT! (2/01/2022 12:52 pm)

Board footera