The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2014 12:17 pm  #1

Draft feedback

I sat down with my group last night to make characters and have a little bit of feedback so far from the Kickstarter draft.

I really appreciate the "Reasons no to buy xx down" sections for each of the attributes. Seeing an equal discussion of the drawbacks of dumping your stats was nice to see. I would, however, like to see a stronger writeup for Appeal, since my players weren't really buying the threat. Having more tangable tasks associated with Appeal in the same way that Mind is described will make it comes across as more important now and less of something they can sack and work on later.

I would suggest reordering the names of some of the careers so that the more common name perhaps comes first. I found myself a few times looking for pirate, forgetting that it came under mariner, or executioner under gaoler. I know this is all symantics and purely subjective, but it does make it tricky if the game references them or if a player notes a more common title for a less common career.

I would also like to see the Heroic Beginnings/Origins section moved to an earlier part of character creation. Since your regional origins can dictate part of your career path, it felt very odd and limiting to have this come afterwards. A few of my players wanted to be from a particular region but couldn't because of the choices they made earlier (and didn't want to change the character in order to change their region). Also, since your first boon and flaw came from your origin, there was a lot of back and forth between here and the careers section. Moving this to the beginning or even just before careers might be a better place.

Lastly, I notced that Hero Points are only really presented (at least from what I could tell) in the summary at the end of the chapter, yet were referenced throughout. It would be nice to see these introduced earlier in the complete text rather than in the summary or in a later chapter, just so that character creation is a little more self contained and understantable.

Thanks for your consideration.

8/04/2014 4:51 pm  #2

Re: Draft feedback

ScooterinAB wrote:

I would suggest reordering the names of some of the careers so that the more common name perhaps comes first. I found myself a few times looking for pirate, forgetting that it came under mariner, or executioner under gaoler. I know this is all symantics and purely subjective, but it does make it tricky if the game references them or if a player notes a more common title for a less common career.

What might be worth considering is an alphabetical list of all the careers and their page number at the end of the chapter to refer to.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

8/08/2014 11:26 pm  #3

Thanks for your thoughts Scooter. I'll look at what you've said and see whether there is any room for a few tweaks along the lines you've mentioned. Thanks too The Git...I'll look at that too. I thinkĀ there'll probably be an appendix with things like chargen, boons & flaws, any tables and so onĀ 

10/02/2014 10:55 pm  #4

ScooterinAB wrote:

I sat down with my group last night to make characters and have a little bit of feedback so far from the Kickstarter draft.

I really appreciate the "Reasons no to buy xx down" sections for each of the attributes. Seeing an equal discussion of the drawbacks of dumping your stats was nice to see. I would, however, like to see a stronger writeup for Appeal, since my players weren't really buying the threat. Having more tangable tasks associated with Appeal in the same way that Mind is described will make it comes across as more important now and less of something they can sack and work on later.

I would also like to see the Heroic Beginnings/Origins section moved to an earlier part of character creation. Since your regional origins can dictate part of your career path, it felt very odd and limiting to have this come afterwards. A few of my players wanted to be from a particular region but couldn't because of the choices they made earlier (and didn't want to change the character in order to change their region). Also, since your first boon and flaw came from your origin, there was a lot of back and forth between here and the careers section. Moving this to the beginning or even just before careers might be a better place.

Lastly, I notced that Hero Points are only really presented (at least from what I could tell) in the summary at the end of the chapter, yet were referenced throughout. It would be nice to see these introduced earlier in the complete text rather than in the summary or in a later chapter, just so that character creation is a little more self contained and understantable.

Thanks for your consideration.

Agree w everything

Board footera