The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/05/2014 9:44 pm  #1

Idea: Random Character Generation

I just had an idea for how to randomly generate characters.  This won't give you Boons and Flaws, but will generate Attributes, Combat Abilities, and Careers (at least determining the number of ranks). 

Begin with each stat at 0.  Then roll 1d4 four times.  A 1 indicates an increased Strength, a 2 increases Agility, a 3 increases Mind, and a 4 increases Appeal. If a stat is maxed out, switch to rolling a d3 and have 1 = first alternative, 2 = second alternative, 3 = last alternative.

Example: I roll 4d4 and get 1, 3, 2, 2.  So My character has Strength 1, Agility 2, Mind 1, Appeal 0. 

You can do this same thing with Combat Abilities and Careers.  

If you want to do a -1 in one stat for a raise somewhere else, you can (just do it after rolling). 

While this method determines the # of ranks in a career, it doesn't determine the career.  Instead you can simply make a list of all the careers, and put it on a table.  Maybe roll 1d20 (or percentile dice) on a table with certain careers assigned to certain values.  Roll four times to determine your four careers.   

Thoughts?

7/15/2014 8:55 am  #2

Re: Idea: Random Character Generation

I'm not a big fan of random char gen, but this seems like it would work just fine. If you consider that Bol lends itself very well to a quick pickup game, have an equally quick random char gen method makes a lot of sense. It might be interesting to randomize 4 careers and then try to work them into some kind of backstory.

Simon W., if you read this it might not be the worst idea to polish this up a bit and add it as an option to mythic edition, I think it would fit in nicely.

Last edited by Claybor (7/15/2014 8:57 am)

7/15/2014 5:55 pm  #3

I'd say do careers, boons, and flaws as a set of d66 tables

7/16/2014 6:00 am  #4

GMgerrymander wrote:

I'd say do careers, boons, and flaws as a set of d66 tables

Looks like someone was reading my mind This could also be a great GM tool for making NPCs on the fly.

Last edited by The GIT! (7/16/2014 6:00 am)

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

Board footera