The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2014 8:23 am  #21

Re: Players roll everything

All I will add to what I have already said is that BoL is BoL because of the game design. It is that design that has drawn so many of us to the game and why we enjoy playing it so much. To change the game mechanics to "Players Roll Everything" is, IMHO, a drastic change that could change the very nature of what separates BoL from other games on the market. That's why I suggested the proposed rule be included as an optional rule rather than the default.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

6/13/2014 9:42 am  #22

johnmarron wrote:

[players make all rolls, 6- = fail, 7-9 = success at cost, 10+ = success]), and it runs great!

I like this idea a lot (reminds me of Dungeon World actually). I think I'll try this next session. Thx for sharing!

6/13/2014 9:54 am  #23

Egregorein wrote:

johnmarron wrote:

[players make all rolls, 6- = fail, 7-9 = success at cost, 10+ = success]), and it runs great!

I like this idea a lot (reminds me of Dungeon World actually). I think I'll try this next session. Thx for sharing!

I actually just wrapped up this game last night.  Using *World style resolution with BoL style character traits wroked great, but the absence of canned results for some moves (things like Dungeon World's "Hack and Slash" or "Cast a spell" made GMing a little taxing.  I felt that having to come up with 7-9 results for all rolls off the top of my head strecthed my creativity a bit to omuch.

6/13/2014 10:20 am  #24

Yes I know the feeling! Maybe you can reduce the threshold from 7-9 to 8-9?

Anyway to me it looks fine as I always tried to add some flavor to my PCs' actions it's as always getting 7-9 according to ur home rules. But I understand that after a certain point, u tend to lack of creative ideas, that's why I cheer my players up to give me their own ideas and it often (not always far from it!) works! But to prevent this I think a good tip would be to write down some ideas that could make a good bargain in case of a partial success and even if that doesn't work u can just wrapp things up and say either they made it right or they'll have to try again (always in a case of 7-9).

7/12/2014 11:10 am  #25

Simon; I really like this idea, although it doesn't appear to be in the KS draft. Did it fall by the wayside?

Regardless, I'm going to implement some version of this next time I run. It's too good an idea to ignore.

“Men shall die for this.”

7/13/2014 12:05 am  #26

Ok, so here’s where I’m at with NPCs. I use ascending difficulties instead of 9 and modifiers:  

Brigands (Rabble): Difficulty 8, Lifeblood 4, Armour 0, Short Swords (1d6-1)
Veteran Mercenaries (Toughs): Difficulty 9, Lifeblood 5, Armour 1, Swords (1d6) or Crossbows (1d6+1)
Vat-grown Mutant (Large Monster): Difficulty 10, Lifeblood 20, Armour 1, Spiked Club (B/2d6+4) or Claw (1d6+3)

Difficulty indicates Priority and the target number you need to successfully attack or defend against combat or other tasks.

Difficulty is also a measure of Lifeblood. Halve it for rabble, use the full number for toughs and double for villains/large creatures  

Thoughts?

Last edited by Andrew (7/13/2014 12:05 am)

7/13/2014 12:25 am  #27

Forgot to mention: the only thing the GM rolls is damage.

Board footera