The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2014 10:30 pm  #1

Barbarians of Magnamund?

I'm still looking over setting options, and an old thought came to mind. What are some thoughts on using Magnamund (from the Lone Wolf gamebooks series) as a setting for BoL? One obvious oddity would be the scope and scale of conflicts. Lone Wolf was pretty high fantasy compared to what I'm reading about the S&S genre, with the overarching conflict of the books being quite global. That being said, you should be able to find something more personal in the world.

Another oddity would the the Kai Lords and the degree that magic plays into the setting. But again, outside of the Lone Wolf metaplot, this is potentially not a big deal since the central character is the last survival Kai Lord for almost the entire original story.

What do you think? How servicable would this setting be? Could a guy easily make it work in BoL, or is it just too high fantasy to play nicely? Is there enough depth in the setting, or are there simply better choices out there?

Thanks.

7/08/2014 11:41 am  #2

Re: Barbarians of Magnamund?

IT should be fairly servicable.  You'll need to add some additional rules for magic, but in the old threads there were some nice rules for adapting Basic Moldvay D&D to BoL that worked.

I've run a few BoL in High Fantasy.   If you get Barbarians of the Aftermath, there are good rules for adding races to the game and psi powers that make things easy to play.

What I did is allow characters to take, as a Boon, a spellbook with a limited number of spells.  Having the spellbook provided the initial requirement for the spell, plus 1.  So, most spells from the book (generally, I allowed a number of L1 Spells = Magic Career + Mind and L2 spells = Magic Career) start at 1 point less to cast, then you add the other modifiers (extra time, obvious gestures, etc.) per spell to reduce the cost.   Any spell from the book also allowed for increased AP recovery for that spell only.

In effect, this allowed casters to use magic more often per day, still subject to GM approval.  IT wasn't a perfect system, but it bridged the gap to High Fantasy with few rules.  (We have a BoL rule: if you can't write a new rule in 1 paragraph or less...it has to fit on one side of a 3x5 card, then the rule is too complicated and should be dropped).

Board footera