The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/07/2014 9:19 am  #71

Re: Announcement!

The GIT! wrote:

Personally I think BoL Mythic should really be BoL Everywhen. We've already had a couple of versions of BoL and I believe that one of the things holding the game back is the setting it is based on. Don't get me wrong, I love the Thongor books. Thing is, they're not easy to track down these days and many people prefer characters like Conan over Thongor. A BoL Everywhen would seem a much more attractive proposition for many new players - especially with all the material available such as Honor+Intrigue, Dogs of War, Barbarians of the Aftermath, Dicey Tales etc. Just my humble opinion is all. That way settings such as Lemuria could be stretch goals. 

I think BoL has done pretty well for a small press rpg. I'm not sure a set of core rules would be as popular, which is partly why I have resisted so far (the other part is I wasn't even certain I wanted to write it). This is a chance to see whether there is enough interest in BoL Everywhen to make it worth my while. It could still happen anyway...but this is a chance to make sure it happens (i.e. to convince me there is enough interest to warrant me writing it).

7/07/2014 9:38 am  #72

Well, for my part, I want to see Mythic happen.
If Everywhen happens later, I'm fine with that, but I wouldn't sacrifice Mythic for it.

7/07/2014 10:02 am  #73

but I wouldn't sacrifice Mythic for it.

Absolutely.

Bow to Satan!!!

7/07/2014 11:21 am  #74

nerosfiddle wrote:

Well, for my part, I want to see Mythic happen.
If Everywhen happens later, I'm fine with that, but I wouldn't sacrifice Mythic for it.

Same here if I wasn't clear enough ;)

A Disciple from a Savage World.

7/07/2014 12:28 pm  #75

I don't want Mythic to be sacrificed. I was just thinking that, considering the new BoL is going to be called Mythic, that this might actually be the time to step it up a notch and push for the core rules. I think the system is an excellent one that can lend itself very well to different genres (as the various settings rules have already demonstrated). When you look at the success of a system such as Savage Worlds you can see that the ability to support different settings by publishing core rules can be a very good way to make a game more popular. Cortex and FATE are also going that way and I just feel that BoL could easily stand alongside these other game systems. I understand that people don't want to sacrfice Mythic and, as I said, I will be fully supporting it as well; I would have liked to see Mythic be the Everywhen but I'll take whatever is on offer. I believe that these forums are a good place to discuss these issues and I hope I haven't offended anyone. If I have, please accept my most sincere apologies.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

7/07/2014 12:37 pm  #76

No offence taken here, thanks for all the feedback (from everyone)

7/07/2014 3:22 pm  #77

The planned stretch goals seem pretty sound to me - you can't have too many adventures for BoL! While I'm not really bothered about art being in colour I realise I'm in a minority with this. Colour is useful for maps though.

For unplanned-as-yet stretch goals, I'd suggest more in-book content (adventures, stock/template NPCs, maps, legendary magical/alchemical artefacts, art, etc.) rather than extra products like cards, hero/villain point tokens, or custom dice. Poker chips are cheap and BoL doesn't need fancy dice to play the game, but adding extra products like these could risk scuppering the project. I can't help but think it will be quicker, easier, cheaper and less risky for you to add more content to a book you're already publishing than it will be to create entirely new types of product in addition to the book. If you don't have the bonus products lined up already, you could be giving yourself an extra headache just when the backer numbers are representing a not-small amount of pressure to deliver on the project.

Similarly, be very wary about adding stretch goals that require physical goods to be shipped at your risk and expense. DriveThru/RPGnow have the infrastructure in place to make their POD service cost-effective for a significant proportion of gamers, and you're already using them for the hardcopy rewards.
--- If DriveThru/RPGnow can't fulfil something without significant increase in your per-unit cost, you probably don't want to add it as a stretch goal.
--- If DriveThru/RPGnow can't fulfil it at all, simply don't offer it as a stretch goal (even as a potential option to get people thinking).

Please note that I'm not an industry professional and I've never run a Kickstarter campaign, so I could be talking utter crap. Just trying to call it like I see it and hoping you find the feedback helpful.

Regardless, I'll be backing the project!

7/09/2014 12:40 pm  #78

Thanks for all your feedback, all noted.

The final video is being rendered as we speak...

7/09/2014 1:02 pm  #79

When do you forecast the start up? Will it be this week or later, at the end of July? The tension is growing...

Last edited by Mruf (7/09/2014 1:09 pm)

Bow to Satan!!!

7/09/2014 1:10 pm  #80

Video being OK, we're looking at hours, not days or weeks

Board footera