The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2024 7:18 pm  #21

Re: The future of BoL

@Pit Fighter
Please don't take this the wrong way, and I fully realise your question was directed to Simon, but I am interested to know if you think Mythic BoL is significantly different and/or more complex than Legendary BoL?

FWIW, I feel that the rules are very much the same, with some additional optional rules (such as mass warfare, ship combat) that can add more detail to a game, but can just as easily be ignored for a more narrative-based solution. The only thing I found a little more difficult to get used to is the new Initiative mechanic but, once I used it with my game group, I found it added significant choice for group tactics and dynamics.

One thing I like about all iterations of BoL is the ease with which you can use different components from different versions. Honor + Intrigue, for example, keeps Brawl as a separate combat stat rather than adding Initiative as a stat as this works much better for the swashbuckling rules the game adds.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

3/20/2024 6:22 am  #22

The GIT! wrote:

@Pit Fighter
Please don't take this the wrong way, and I fully realise your question was directed to Simon, but I am interested to know if you think Mythic BoL is significantly different and/or more complex than Legendary BoL?

FWIW, I feel that the rules are very much the same, with some additional optional rules (such as mass warfare, ship combat) that can add more detail to a game, but can just as easily be ignored for a more narrative-based solution. The only thing I found a little more difficult to get used to is the new Initiative mechanic but, once I used it with my game group, I found it added significant choice for group tactics and dynamics.

One thing I like about all iterations of BoL is the ease with which you can use different components from different versions. Honor + Intrigue, for example, keeps Brawl as a separate combat stat rather than adding Initiative as a stat as this works much better for the swashbuckling rules the game adds.

I don't have alot of the iterations and spin offs of BoL so I can't really comment because I don't actually know (hence the question).  No offense taken and I have no issues with anyone else answering either but was specifically curious from veteran game design(er) perspective as to SImon's thoughts.   There's obviously a big difference between the original free version all the way to Everywhen/S&S and H+I in terms of complexity and systems added and I was curious as to if any of them cross firmly out of what might be considered rules light.  I've played games across the spectrum from rules light to very crunchy and appreciate the various categories for their strengths and what they offer.  About the only type of games that don't appeal to me are the very, very stripped down games that fit on 1-4 pages as well as narrative/story games that don't have a traditional structure and roles (players/gm).

3/21/2024 12:55 pm  #23

I understand better where your question is coming from now, and it is a good question.

From my own perspective, I would certainly say that books such as Everywhen, S&S, H+I etc etc have added extra "complexity", but I put that word in quotations for a reason; each of the rulesets are really offering toolboxes and options, which allows GMs to create a playing environment suited to their players needs. As you mentioned in your original post, the core mechanics are essentially still the same, and that means BoL is still as simple as it was in the early days.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

Board footera