The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2015 11:35 pm  #11

Re: Retaining Brawl, or, "5 attributes and 5 combat abilities"?

This is the conclusion I am coming to, madprofessor. Clearly crazed minds think alike!

I think I might go for a 4/5 split, adding Initiative to the combat roster (as I will be using Mythic edition) but retaining Brawl.

My real name is Steve Hall

4/15/2015 7:56 am  #12

Personally, I'm going to keep Brawl instead of Initiative just like before but instead of doing a simple d6+Agility for initiative (like said in Leg. ed) I'll do 2d6+MIND+ an appropriate career rank. For example, if the PC are fighting in dirty back alleys they are going to use MIND+THIEF or another alike career (like assassin). Or if they're attacking foes after an ambush on a trading road, they might use MERCENARY amongst others. I like the fact that you're more prone to proper react when you are accustomed to a certain environnement : you might be a savage barbarian from the frozen wastes but you'll know nothing or little about the above dirty back alleys.

Well, just some thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by Egregorein (4/15/2015 7:57 am)

4/15/2015 8:17 am  #13

Egregorein wrote:

Personally, I'm going to keep Brawl instead of Initiative just like before but instead of doing a simple d6+Agility for initiative (like said in Leg. ed) I'll do 2d6+MIND+ an appropriate career rank. For example, if the PC are fighting in dirty back alleys they are going to use MIND+THIEF or another alike career (like assassin). Or if they're attacking foes after an ambush on a trading road, they might use MERCENARY amongst others. I like the fact that you're more prone to proper react when you are accustomed to a certain environnement : you might be a savage barbarian from the frozen wastes but you'll know nothing or little about the above dirty back alleys.

Well, just some thoughts on the matter.

An interesting take on initiative - although my (admittedly flawed) recollection of most of the famous S & S characters (such as Conan, Fafhrd, Grey Mouser, Thongor etc) is that their reactions don't seem to suffer based on the environment. Rather, they seem to have keener senses which actually give them an edge.

I'll be keeping the new initiative stat as I think it is an excellent addition to the Mythic rules. That said, I probably won't be using the actual initiative rules as written for reasons I've mentioned earlier in this thread.

Wealth can be wonderful, but you know, success can test one's mettle as surely as the strongest adversary.

6/11/2015 7:05 am  #14

If you keep Brawl and Initiative, I'd say adding Perception as an attribute is a good idea. Then you can pair Initiative with Perception instead of Agility.

Board footera