The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2014 6:36 pm  #1

Barbarians of Hadoken? - Advice requested

I am looking for some input.  I am looking for the best way to do a Street Fighter / Wulin style game using BoL.  I am confident that it is a good fit since I have run Star Wars with BoL very successfully and the genres are similar in many ways.  I am thinking of a game somewhere near the power level of the Street Fighter video games with that same feel in the action, but with an aesthetic closer to the Immaculate monks in Exalted.  What I am struggling with is what mechanic is best for the "secret techniques" of the different schools.

I see 3 paths forward and I am curious if you have an opinion / experience on which would work best, or if there is some alternative I haven't thought of.

1). The secret techniques are represented as Boons, with different Boons available to different schools.  As you advance you buy additional boons and grow your mastery.  It is easy to control the different flavors of schools this way.

2). The secret techniques are represented like "magic" using the rules for sorcery and using Chi / Ki as the Arcane Power stand in.  This allows more flexibility and a wider spectrum of power, with that third level existing as the techniques you have to learn from a hermit at the top of a mountain.

3). Some combination of the two.

I am not sure where careers fit in here but I don't think they represent the kind of effects I am talking about.  I am more likely to use them to represent the areas of knowledge the heroes have based on the careers they've had in their respective communities.  But maybe I am missing an opportunity here and I have an open mind.

Any thoughts are appreciated and thanks in advance.

Last edited by TickTockMan (12/21/2014 10:24 pm)

6/11/2015 9:24 am  #2

Re: Barbarians of Hadoken? - Advice requested

I don't have much to add, but this is very much within my sphere of interest.

I might have some more insights as I gain experience with this system. I'm adapting it for one of my settings, and I'm considering it for the other-- which is very much along the lines of what you are thinking.

8/01/2017 5:05 pm  #3

Re: Barbarians of Hadoken? - Advice requested

Hey... did you get anywhere with this?

Board footera