The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2024 7:19 pm  #1

Lands of Mist, Monsters, & Muskets

I'm currently doing some work on a setting that's a bit more Solomon Kane than Conan. Sort of Musketeers as Monster Hunters, with the monsters being more traditional vampires, werewolves, ghosts, ghouls, goblins, and evil sorcerers/sorceresses. Having been recently introduced to Barbarians of Lemuria Mythic and the Sword & Sorcery Codex, I think I'll be running it using some version of BoL.

I know that Honor & Intrigue is geared towards a 17th Century setting (which is more or less the starting point for this secondary world), but also saw a thread where Simon W. said it's one of his least favorite implementations of BoL, primarily because of all the fiddly bits it adds. I'm thinking I don't really need additional rules for stuff like duels or chandelier swinging.

Just curious: Folks who have read H&I, are there any particular bits that I'd benefit from reading, even if I don't use all the system tweaks?

4/18/2024 6:45 am  #2

Re: Lands of Mist, Monsters, & Muskets

CaptAdventure wrote:

Just curious: Folks who have read H&I, are there any particular bits that I'd benefit from reading, even if I don't use all the system tweaks?

I have H&I, I have used some of the boon/flaws and Careers from it.  But really, I just run BoL with my home rules for whatever campaign I decided to run.
Your setting sounds cool!  Musketeers as Monster Hunters 

Currently, we are taking a break from BoL, running some adventures using The Fantasy Trip (just bought a bunch of adventure modules for it).  But we will go back to our Hyborian Age BoL campaign or even our Witcher BoL campaign later this summer.

4/18/2024 11:31 am  #3

Thanks for the kind  words.

The Witcher is actually one of the inspirations behind this setting idea. Particularly the idea of professional monster hunters, as opposed to adventurers who have to battle monsters to get to loot. I've only read a couple of the books and never played the video games, but I like the atmospheric approach to the show. Shadows and fog. Menace and suspense.

I remember checking out the Fantasy Trip back when it originally came out. How does the new iteration stack up?

4/18/2024 12:57 pm  #4

CaptAdventure wrote:

I remember checking out the Fantasy Trip back when it originally came out. How does the new iteration stack up?

There are some good "upgrades" (for lack of a better word) and there are some that I don't care for.  This was the game that I cut my teeth on for RPGing back in the late 70s, I have been playing it off and on since then.  Lots of home rules to make it "my game" over the years.  It's just a brutal game, were you can't expect your PCs to last a long time...

I like it and my wife will play it, but she really prefers BoL, it's her favorite system.  So we will be back to BoL before long .  I am going to get a chance to run a friend and my wife through the Death Test in a couple of weeks, he has never played TFT, so it will be interesting.  (He is a big gamer though, usually a couple of regular campaigns each month.)

I am a big fan of the Three Musketeers, have read the book several times and I think that I have watched almost every movie version that has been made.  I have never run a Three Musketeers campaign though, now you have me thinking about it... (I just have to many things to run, and not enought time to run them.)

In addition to the Hyborian Age and Witcher campaigns, we have ongoing Warhammer and Jalizar (Savage Worlds Beasts & Barbarians) going on too, all using BoL of course.  It really is a versatile system.  Have a modern Counter Terrorism/Spy one sitting around, just never started it.  Again, to many choices, but that's a good thing... I guess....

Last edited by Sigulf (4/18/2024 1:02 pm)

4/20/2024 2:44 am  #5

Hi Cap!

Have you seen 'All For One'? It's a setting that more or less is what you are planning. It's for the Ubiquity system, so will not help rules-wise, but it might be worth a look for inspiration. Actually rather than the main core book, the setting book, 'Paris By Night' might be more of use. It's a gazeteer of 17th Century Paris and lots of adventure seeds that you might be interested in stealing. My favourite was a beauty treatment for wealth women that made them slimmer and gave them a paler complexion. (It was a vampire!)

Honor+Intrigue is a fine piece of work, but like Simon I thought it strayed too far from the simplicity of BoL mechanics. Past experience has soured me against detailed dueling systems.

However, The Git, who posts here regularly will tell you that you do not have to use the detailed dueling rules but just use the simple advantage the sub-system (part of the dueling rules) and ignore the details on sword styles, and this workds perfectly - and it does! (However, in my musketeer game I've gone for another simple system.)

I think that you can easily run a good musketeer game using BoL Mythic and the Codex. As Sigulf says, it might be worth getting a look at H+I to steal the careers and Boons & Flaws (although some of these are tied into the H+I mechanics so might need amending or dropping). H+I also has useful sections on real and ficticious organisations, crime and punishment, magic, powerful groups and a world gazeteer.

My knowledge of The Witcher is virtually non-existent, but I seem to think that it's more of a late-Medieval/early Rennaisence setting, rather than the 1620s of the Three Musketeers. If you go for something close to The Witcher you might find H+I less useful. If you are going for something closer the Three Musketeers I think you will find H+I useful. If you do go something more C17th you will need stats for pistols. 

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (4/20/2024 3:07 am)

My real name is Steve Hall

4/20/2024 2:50 am  #6

Here is a post I made back in 2014 detailing my rules for firearms of the English Civil War in BoL terms - probably for the earlier Legendary Edition of BoL. This is broadly the same as what was availble in the 1620s.

Champions of Lemuria » Firearms for the English Civil Wars (boardhost.com)

4/20/2024 3:02 am  #7

For my musketeer games 'Captain Treville's Daughter' I have used Everywhen and sometimes bits of BoL Mythic. For dueling I used the dueling rules from the Everywhen pulp supplement 'Pulse Pounding Pulp'.

This works with three rounds of combat with no damage being taken but with points being generated by the results - with the highest number of points often switching between the combatants. After three rounds the winner rolls for damage moving up the Everywhen damage track equal to the difference in points. I find this really gives a feel for the ebb and flow of a combat. These three dueling rounds are quivalent to one round of normal combat. 

The Git prefers using the advantage system from H+I as you can duel with more than one opponent, as with the Pulse Pounding Pulp rules you can one duel with one adversary at a time. Personally, I rather like this as it's like in swashbuckling films when the hero and villain fight a one-on-one duel as a mass combat of lesser characters fight around them. Each to their own.

4/20/2024 7:15 pm  #8

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Hi Cap!

Have you seen 'All For One'? It's a setting that more or less is what you are planning. It's for the Ubiquity system, so will not help rules-wise, but it might be worth a look for inspiration. Actually rather than the main core book, the setting book, 'Paris By Night' might be more of use. It's a gazeteer of 17th Century Paris and lots of adventure seeds that you might be interested in stealing. My favourite was a beauty treatment for wealth women that made them slimmer and gave them a paler complexion. (It was a vampire!)

Honor+Intrigue is a fine piece of work, but like Simon I thought it strayed too far from the simplicity of BoL mechanics. Past experience has soured me against detailed dueling systems.

However, The Git, who posts here regularly will tell you that you do not have to use the detailed dueling rules but just use the simple advantage the sub-system (part of the dueling rules) and ignore the details on sword styles, and this workds perfectly - and it does! (However, in my musketeer game I've gone for another simple system.)

I think that you can easily run a good musketeer game using BoL Mythic and the Codex. As Sigulf says, it might be worth getting a look at H+I to steal the careers and Boons & Flaws (although some of these are tied into the H+I mechanics so might need amending or dropping). H+I also has useful sections on real and ficticious organisations, crime and punishment, magic, powerful groups and a world gazeteer.

My knowledge of The Witcher is virtually non-existent, but I seem to think that it's more of a late-Medieval/early Rennaisence setting, rather than the 1620s of the Three Musketeers. If you go for something close to The Witcher you might find H+I less useful. If you are going for something closer the Three Musketeers I think you will find H+I useful. If you do go something more C17th you will need stats for pistols. 

I am familiar with All for One: Régime Diabolique, thought I haven't picked up any books as yet. Partly because it seems very grounded in our world, whereas I'm trying to recreate the feeling of that period in another world. Still, I'll mark it down for further consideration based on your recommendation.

Likewise, I may look into H&I, for setting stuff, even though the rules might be more fiddly than I'd care for.

Regarding the Witcher, you're absolutely right about the period evoked, but I'm taking inspiration more from the idea of monster hunting as a profession, rather than collateral damage during treasure seeking. Also, I do like the atmosphere it conjures: mist, mires, and murky shadows.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

4/20/2024 7:17 pm  #9

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Here is a post I made back in 2014 detailing my rules for firearms of the English Civil War in BoL terms - probably for the earlier Legendary Edition of BoL. This is broadly the same as what was availble in the 1620s.

Champions of Lemuria » Firearms for the English Civil Wars (boardhost.com)

Oooo! Very interesting!

4/20/2024 10:57 pm  #10

Ha! My mind is getting old.

You seemed to indicate Cap that you had access to the Sword & Sorcery Codex? If so, turn to page 104 and you will find the dueling system I was blathering about above set out in all it's minimalist glory. I forgot that Garnett had added it to the Codex from Pulse Pounding Pulp. And of course, the Codex has the Damage Track.

But if you get a chance to get a sight of H+I please do. You might find The Git's suggestion of using just the advantage system from that book's dueling rules more to your taste. 

Just change the damage values of the gun rules I posted to Mythic damage and you are good to go for firearms.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock (4/20/2024 10:58 pm)

Board footera