The Champions of Lemuria meet here.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2014 7:28 am  #1

Firearms for the English Civil Wars

I’ve posted before about an idea I had for running a game in the English Civil Wars using teh Pike, Shotte and Sorcerie rules – a simplified version/hack of Honor+Intrigue. One thing that stuck me about H+I and PSS is that they have very little detail when it comes to guns, basically a generic musket and pistol. Fair enough, as H+I is mainly concerned with dashing swordsmen. But for my game I wanted a little more detail about the different sorts of firearms in circulation. So I knocked together the following for myself, and thought I’d share in case others found it useful.

Note that PSS uses 2D10 +/- mods, > 13 to succeed as a core mechanic; which explains the misfire numbers.

Also note that what follows pertains to the period of the English Civil War 1642-1660 and some of the statements will not be accurate for other times in the 17th century and/or other locations.

Holster/Horse Pistol
The basic military pistol, usually carried in a pair of holsters either side of the front of the saddle by cavalrymen. Barrels were around 16-18 inches long, the pistol being around 24-26 inches in total. The Royalists mainly used imported wheel-locks from the Continent, while Parliament mainly used flintlocks produced by the London gunsmiths.
Damage: 1D6+2
Range Increment: 10ft
Misfire: Flintlock 2-4/Wheel-lock 2-3
Reload: 2

Belt Pistol
A smaller pistol often worn stuffed through a waist belt or sash by foot officers, and this was also about the size of naval pistols. About 12 inches long in total.
Damage: 1D6

Pocket Pistol
A small flintlock pistol, firing a small bullet with a weak charge. About 6 inches long in total. More concealable than other pistols, but not that concealable to a modern eye.
Damage: 1D3+1
Range Increment: 5ft
Misfire: 2-4

Screw-Barrelled Pistol (Rifled Pistol)
An English arm, very rare and expensive, with a shorter but thicker barrel than regular holster pistols. The barrel was unscrewed from the stock, the breech loaded with powder and slightly oversized ball, and the barrel attached again. Prince Rupert owned a pair and hit a weathercock twice from 60 paces to prove his marksmanship.
Damage: 1D+2
Range Increment: 60ft
Reload: 5

Musket
At the beginning of the civil wars muskets were all matchlocks of heavy Dutch-style construction, necessitating the use of a musket rest (what H&I and PSS call a pole brace). As the war progressed, a lighter style of musket was introduced, which did not need the use of a rest. Also, small numbers of troops (mainly artillery guards at first) were provided with flintlock muskets (of lighter construction), but these always remained a minority. If a colonel could get a few flintlocks for his regiment they were often shared out to men on sentry duty, as it saved on the cost of burning a musketeer’s match all night.
Damage: 2D6
Range Increment: 50ft
Misfire: Matchlock 2-5/ Flintlock 2-4
Reload: 3
NB: I propose to keep a 50 ft range increment for all muskets, but reduce it to 40ft for heavy Dutch-style muskets used without a rest.

Carbine
A horseman’s shoulder arm, carbines were originally all wheel-locks, but before the start of the wars English gunsmiths started to make flintlock carbines. Of a smaller bore and with shorter barrels than muskets, they were in short supply at the start of the wars, and many horsemen went without.
Damage: 2D3
Range Increment: 30ft
NB: Dragoons were mounted infantry and carried muskets, as they rode to battle but fought on foot. Preferably they had flintlock muskets, but at the start of the wars they took whatever they could get, and sometimes that was a carbine.

Blunderbuss
Fairly rare weapons during the civil wars, they became more popular after the Restoration. They were always made as a flintlock weapon.
Damage: 1D6+6

Long Gun (Fowling Piece)
A hunter’s weapon, used by farmers and wildfowlers, as well as the landed gentry. They had very long barrels, around 5ft, but were lighter than a musket and did not need a rest. They were always flintlocks and had a bore of around .50, smaller than a musket. When used with a lead ball instead of shot, they were found to be far more accurate than an ordinary musket, and so were used as sniper’s weapons during the war. They proved their worth during sieges, the besieged using them to pick off officers in the trenches. In 1652 the New Model Army ordered some 500 long guns for use in Scotland, and later General Monck recommended that 6 men in each company should be armed with them, to pick off enemy officers. In a military context, these weapons were rare.
Range Increment: 70 ft

Screwed Guns (Rifles)
Another hunting weapon used for sniping, the cost of these short but thick barrelled weapons restricted their ownership to the well to do gentry and noblemen. Many were imported from Germany and were wheel-locks. English screwed guns were rarer, and were usually flintlocks. These weapons were very rare.
Range Increment: 100ft
Reload: 6

My real name is Steve Hall

2/19/2014 5:58 pm  #2

Re: Firearms for the English Civil Wars

Also great for a Captain Alatriste game.
These are great!
Jeff

2/21/2014 5:21 am  #3

Thanks Jeff, and good to hear that Hador is coming along fine.

As you say, these would be good for an Alatriste game as well. When I said above that these were specific for the time and place of the ECW, I was mainly thinking of the typically English Long Gun and Screw Barrelled Pistol, and also the comments on barrel lengths and availabilty of types of weapon. The pistols (mainly wheel-locks) and the musket and carbine are good for Alatriste's earlier 1630s time period.

And the flintlock stats would be good for 18th century games - yes, it's time to deal with those pesky tax avoiding American colonists!

2/21/2014 4:45 pm  #4

Am I right in reading that a flintlock has more chance of misfiring than a wheellock?

2/23/2014 1:49 am  #5

Murgh Bpurn wrote:

Am I right in reading that a flintlock has more chance of misfiring than a wheellock?

Absolutely!
The wheel-lock was the second ignition system invented after the matchlock, and was far more complicated than any of the subsequent 'firelock' systems (all termed flintlock in the OP) that followed. It was a very efficient system of ignition and also more reliable than the firelocks that followed.
However, wheel-locks were more delicate than firelocks (so it you used it as a club there was a risk that it would no longer work until you took it to a gunsmith); it could not be left 'spanned' - i.e. wound up ready to fire - for long periods of time, as the mechanism would stick (a Royalist officer was left with two useless pistols when surprised as they had been left spanned overnight); and most importantly they were far more expensive than firelocks.
So, if used with care (and this on active service mind) and not left spanned for a long period, it was a reliable pistol with less chance of misfire than a flintlock. But if something did go wrong you might need to see a gunsmith to set it right. A flintlock was cheaper and nearly as reliable, so it won out in the end.

2/23/2014 2:06 am  #6

Gruntfuttock wrote:

Murgh Bpurn wrote:

Absolutely!
The wheel-lock was the second ignition system invented after the matchlock, and was far more complicated than any of the subsequent 'firelock' systems (all termed flintlock in the OP) that followed. It was a very efficient system of ignition and also more reliable than the firelocks that followed.
However, wheel-locks were more delicate than firelocks (so it you used it as a club there was a risk that it would no longer work until you took it to a gunsmith); it could not be left 'spanned' - i.e. wound up ready to fire - for long periods of time, as the mechanism would stick (a Royalist officer was left with two useless pistols when surprised as they had been left spanned overnight); and most importantly they were far more expensive than firelocks.
So, if used with care (and this on active service mind) and not left spanned for a long period, it was a reliable pistol with less chance of misfire than a flintlock. But if something did go wrong you might need to see a gunsmith to set it right. A flintlock was cheaper and nearly as reliable, so it won out in the end.

For these reasons I would say that the wheellock would misfire more often than a flintlock, remembering that it was probably mistreated quite a bit in the field (whether intentionally of not):
- far more complicated 
- more delicate

Anyway, it's all a personal preference thing

2/25/2014 5:30 am  #7

Oh sure, what works at your table rules - no doubt about that.

What I was trying to do with the misfire numbers is to model the fact that the wheel-lock is a more effective ignition system than a firelock. Personally my take is that if PC start using these pistols as clubs or leaving them spanned for long periods then that's when I'd make wheel-lock misfires more likely than firelock misfires. But it's no big deal.

Board footera